Greenfingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Greenfingers Reviews

September 18, 2017
Unique Dark Comedy. I adore Warren Clarke, so I've seen everything he's ever done. He's understated and a mere extra character in this, however, he is what gave this movie gift to me. David Kelly is also an under-rated talent and heart touching in this role. It is current and relative to this day.
September 4, 2017
No wonder no one has ever heard of this ragweeds to royal gardens film. It was let out in 2001. Everyone has been running off to war ever since then. Who's got time for a little but true tale with a surprise ending tucked away behind the Astilbe? Eh? No me. I just saw it, in fact, I've just watched it twice, and I was still interested the second time through. Best of all, it's a true story, and better than that, is that they ooooh, how do I compliment the understated ending that ended in exactly the right moment, without spoiling it for someone? How about this, it ends with British understatement, just before what to others might have been the "big ending." No, no, this was far better, because the actual "moment" is never shown. Oh how I love that. I'd call it fine family fun if your family has A. heard the F word used as an adjective in the British way they say it as if they were saying "flower," (to quote Burt Reynolds on the subject, hah.) and B. Your family is able to deal with a brief glimpse of human procreation. In proper English missionary style of course. The cast is exactly who should be representing whom, but exactly.
August 19, 2017
Based on a true story, it is quite good. Some critism that it is based on British film genre: redemption based on fact. Feel good film
½ August 9, 2017
Perfectly harmless and fun English movie. Can never go wrong with Helen, and Clive of course.
May 13, 2017
Predictable? Sure. Satisfying? Certainly. And the fact that it was based on a true story was a bonus. When prisoners meet flowers, they are all transformed and there are times that that kind of escape fills the bill. What the piece lacked in depth, it made up for in really amusing acting and a sharp script. The only real jar came when Primrose announces to the prisoners that her mother "is off the defibrillator now.". ??????
½ March 17, 2017
Not horrible. But pretty boring.
½ November 7, 2016
You know, I'll be honest right off the bat. Though that implies there are times when I am not honest in these reviews, which would be a lie in and of itself. Anyway, the point is that there's nothing about this movie that you haven't seen elsewhere and probably done better at that. Parts of it remind me of Mean Machine, which actually came out the same year as this, and which is also a remake of The Longest Yard. But that's mostly due to the prison setting. Realistically speaking, this is your typical light British comedy that moves at a brisk pace and doesn't require much in the way of thought process. It's a crowd-pleaser at its core and those type of flicks never usually have the most complex or thought-provoking of narratives or characters. And, yet again, there's no real problem with that. Like I always say, these movies need to exists. Sometimes you just wanna watch a film that won't depress you or hit you over the head with melodramatics. This certainly has its dramatic moments, but I don't feel that they use it to manipulate you or anything as more as it's used to inspire the characters in the film to move with the flower show they truly want to put on as a tribute to their fallen friend. So, yea, I felt that this was a movie that was better than the rating might imply. Not saying it's a good movie, or anything even remotely close to that, but I feel that it accomplished everything it set out to do. Whether it was good or not is irrelevant, they hit all of their goals and that is what they wanted this movie to be. Though I assume that some of you might think that that should make it a good movie, if they hit all of their goals. Not necessarily, the quality of everything within the movie is what matters. That's where the problems lie for the most part. Again, none of it is actually bad, it just isn't more than what it probably should have been for most people. Its reach certainly does not exceed its grasp. I will say that it is refreshing to see a prison movie where nobody who works in the actual prison is a major asshole. That was the one thing that was, somewhat, different. It's not anything that improves on the quality of the film, but at least it's something. The acting is pretty solid. Helen Mirren is always great. Clive Owen is still Clive Owen. His delivery is fine enough, but his facial expressions are, sadly, lacking. I don't know what else to say about this movie. What I do know is that this review kinda sucked. The movie didn't, it was onl average at best, but it's a sporadically enjoyable average. If you have Amazon Prime, then watch it on there. If you don't, then there's no real reason you should go out of your way to watch this.
May 31, 2015
My favorite feel good gardening movie. Helen Mirren's performance as gardening expert Georgina Woodhouse is a comic gem.
May 27, 2015
Clive Owens shows his chops in this feel good underdog comedy.
March 2, 2015
I absolutely loved the movie. Well done!
½ December 4, 2014
Great movie. The cast is awesome and does a great job with a well written script. The views are wonderful to look at, the story is an uplifting one to hear, and knowing it is based off a true story makes it all the better. It is a love story, a story of personal growth, and a story to show that not everyone who does something bad is a bad person. I highly recommend it.
½ August 11, 2014
A good story with a brilliant cast. It is not often that you come across such a light-hearted prison movie to enjoy.
July 27, 2014
Pleasant story and Clive Owen and Helen Mirren are always worth a watch. David Kelly is his usual great self. Enjoyable.
January 15, 2014
Awesome little comedy like only the Brits know how to do them. The cast is impeccable, the story well written & solidly directed. A nice surprise.
½ November 27, 2013
the love story wasn't realistic.
½ April 20, 2013
A little schmatzy, but absolutely delightful!
½ January 26, 2013
a beautiful, heartwarming movie with an excellent Clive Owen.
December 2, 2012
I adore this true story about English inmates that enter a garden contest.
December 2, 2012
I adore this true story about English inmates that enter a garden contest.
½ October 23, 2012
This is a heart-warming, inspirational film about prisoners who become masters of gardening. Based on a true story, which is even better. It's nice to see a different prison film. Although it's not as funny as it could be, it has managed to entertain.