Greenfingers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Greenfingers Reviews

½ November 7, 2016
You know, I'll be honest right off the bat. Though that implies there are times when I am not honest in these reviews, which would be a lie in and of itself. Anyway, the point is that there's nothing about this movie that you haven't seen elsewhere and probably done better at that. Parts of it remind me of Mean Machine, which actually came out the same year as this, and which is also a remake of The Longest Yard. But that's mostly due to the prison setting. Realistically speaking, this is your typical light British comedy that moves at a brisk pace and doesn't require much in the way of thought process. It's a crowd-pleaser at its core and those type of flicks never usually have the most complex or thought-provoking of narratives or characters. And, yet again, there's no real problem with that. Like I always say, these movies need to exists. Sometimes you just wanna watch a film that won't depress you or hit you over the head with melodramatics. This certainly has its dramatic moments, but I don't feel that they use it to manipulate you or anything as more as it's used to inspire the characters in the film to move with the flower show they truly want to put on as a tribute to their fallen friend. So, yea, I felt that this was a movie that was better than the rating might imply. Not saying it's a good movie, or anything even remotely close to that, but I feel that it accomplished everything it set out to do. Whether it was good or not is irrelevant, they hit all of their goals and that is what they wanted this movie to be. Though I assume that some of you might think that that should make it a good movie, if they hit all of their goals. Not necessarily, the quality of everything within the movie is what matters. That's where the problems lie for the most part. Again, none of it is actually bad, it just isn't more than what it probably should have been for most people. Its reach certainly does not exceed its grasp. I will say that it is refreshing to see a prison movie where nobody who works in the actual prison is a major asshole. That was the one thing that was, somewhat, different. It's not anything that improves on the quality of the film, but at least it's something. The acting is pretty solid. Helen Mirren is always great. Clive Owen is still Clive Owen. His delivery is fine enough, but his facial expressions are, sadly, lacking. I don't know what else to say about this movie. What I do know is that this review kinda sucked. The movie didn't, it was onl average at best, but it's a sporadically enjoyable average. If you have Amazon Prime, then watch it on there. If you don't, then there's no real reason you should go out of your way to watch this.
May 31, 2015
My favorite feel good gardening movie. Helen Mirren's performance as gardening expert Georgina Woodhouse is a comic gem.
May 27, 2015
Clive Owens shows his chops in this feel good underdog comedy.
March 2, 2015
I absolutely loved the movie. Well done!
½ December 4, 2014
Great movie. The cast is awesome and does a great job with a well written script. The views are wonderful to look at, the story is an uplifting one to hear, and knowing it is based off a true story makes it all the better. It is a love story, a story of personal growth, and a story to show that not everyone who does something bad is a bad person. I highly recommend it.
½ August 11, 2014
A good story with a brilliant cast. It is not often that you come across such a light-hearted prison movie to enjoy.
July 27, 2014
Pleasant story and Clive Owen and Helen Mirren are always worth a watch. David Kelly is his usual great self. Enjoyable.
January 15, 2014
Awesome little comedy like only the Brits know how to do them. The cast is impeccable, the story well written & solidly directed. A nice surprise.
½ November 27, 2013
the love story wasn't realistic.
½ April 20, 2013
A little schmatzy, but absolutely delightful!
½ January 26, 2013
a beautiful, heartwarming movie with an excellent Clive Owen.
December 2, 2012
I adore this true story about English inmates that enter a garden contest.
December 2, 2012
I adore this true story about English inmates that enter a garden contest.
½ October 23, 2012
This is a heart-warming, inspirational film about prisoners who become masters of gardening. Based on a true story, which is even better. It's nice to see a different prison film. Although it's not as funny as it could be, it has managed to entertain.
September 14, 2012
Another good gentle British comedy. Contains all the main ingredients, good story, personal trauma, romance, a little but obvious tragedy and comedy, of course. Here inmates at an open prison discover a passion for gardening and are entered at a flower show at Hampton court.
½ August 25, 2012
The movie works fine enough as a comedy, but I would rather it have been a drama.
June 14, 2012
cool movie, but it's stupid how he commits crime too go back into jail
after he just got released.
it's kinda sad when the old man dies and he spreads his ashes around the garden
February 22, 2012
Love this movie! But perhaps you have to be a gardener to really get it. For me, it is a classic feel good movie that I know I'll watch again!
January 29, 2012
Greenfingers, which is inspired by actual events, is a wonderful movie. Prisoners being reborn through gardening may not seem very action-packed or interesting, but this movie will keep you interested and curious as to the outcome, and Clive Owen keeps his cool in a part that begs for overacting. Even though the movie falls back on a time-worn formula, it's a good formula. I enjoyed it.
January 14, 2012
Fun, different sort of romantic comedy based on true story. Low security prisoners are set to gardening. They decide to enter the Queen's Garden Show. You should just HEAR the different ideas each con comes up with---pretty funny.