Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

½ May 15, 2016
4.5/5. An insane balls-to-the-walls film that everyone should watch multiple times.
May 12, 2016
A cheesy, campy horror-comedy popcorn classic.
April 6, 2016
Probably the most anti-Disney movie ever, this takes the saccharine all-American Christmas Frank Capra town and subjects it to a gleeful and vicious assault by nasty little gremlins. Slow to start, the Gizmo character is an endearing little creation but when his progeny take centrestage, the film takes some nasty turns. Its sheer delight in abusing its ciphers of characters gets a bit wearing.
½ March 20, 2016
Quite an interesting movie but a little bit too slow paced. I imagine a remake of this could be incredible.
March 2, 2016
never feed it after dark, gotta treat it like a gremlin

this is low key a Christmas movie
½ February 22, 2016
So much more gruesome than I remembered! Great stuff.
February 6, 2016
For some reason I just don't get why This is popular. I thought it was okay.......
January 27, 2016
Simply put this is a great movie, not only for its time but even today. The special effects still look decent and the overarching storyline of following rules and wanting things we can't or shouldn't have is great instruction at age 6, 30, or 70. A top ten 80s flick and a holiday classic in my opinion. Get it on Blu-Ray, looks fantastic!
January 23, 2016
Gremlins is a fantastic film that I have loved since the moment that I first seen it, and I've seen it many times since. The writing is fantastic (for the most part), the animatronics are top of the line, the characters are good, the music is memorable and fantastic, the concept is very interesting, and the film is overall a lot of fun. This is a key example of a film where I think that tone, music, and atmosphere really make it shine. Every moment of Gremlins is filled with great music that adds on to the suspense, and insanity of the film. I honestly can't find many problems with the film besides some pacing problems, and a plot hole or two, but they are all minor. Maybe it is because of nostalgia, it probably is, but this is my favorite movie ever made; and I highly recommend it to people who can look past its minor flaws, and enjoy a very fun, energetic, and smart movie.
January 17, 2016
Joe Dante's cleverly engaging horror film with a wicked sense of humor, about an Inventor Randy Peltzer, played wonderfully by the late Hoyt Axton, who has bought a special gift from an old Chinese merchant in Chinatown for his son Billy, played superbly by Zack Galligan. The gift is an adorable small furry creature called a Mogwai, nicely voiced by Howie Mandall. The Mogwai is named Gizmo by Billy, now there are three important rules that Billy must be follow if he wants to keep the creature, such as keeping it away from bright light especially sunlight cause it will kill him, never get him wet, and the most important rule of them all, never feed him after midnight. Billy does what he can but he accidentally gets him wet one day and it makes him multiply into other Mogwai creatures like him, then Billy makes another big mistake and inadvertently feeds the others Mogwai creatures after midnight, the effect transforms them into extremely vicious, hideous reptilian little monsters known as Gremlins, who will soon cause pure deadly mayhem in the town of Kingston Falls. Astute direction by Dante, with a witty script by Chris Columbus, executive produced by Steven Spielberg. Superlative practical special effects, with a terrific score by the late great Jerry Goldsmith, and solid supporting performances by Phoebe Cates, the late Keye Luke, Polly Holiday, Scott Brady, Cory Feldman, Harry Carey Jr., and Dick Miller. This movie became one of the biggest box-office hits of 1984, it has a great sense of charm and of course black humor thrown into it with serious gruesomeness. A fun ride all the way. Highly Recommended.
January 16, 2016
I would watch a full length feature of Gizmo driving a toy car. Gremlins is gross.
January 1, 2016
I never realized before how much of a badass the mom is. I want her on my side if there's a fight... as long as it's not a fight with a Christmas tree.
½ December 29, 2015
I was 8 years old when Gremlins first came out, and I can still distinctly remember all my friends talking about how much they loved it, but I never saw it. Watching it as an adult now I can say I'm delighted that I didn't see it back in 1984. I don't say this because the movie is bad, but because I was a wimp back then. This movie would have traumatized me and I would have thought of it as one of the worst I'd ever seen. Seeing it just recently, though, allowed me to enjoy the humor and appreciate the skill that went into the horror elements. The blend was pretty spot on, and perhaps never is that more evident than in Phoebe Cates' infamous speech about why she hates Christmas. It was just the right balance of tragic and funny, so I loved that moment more than any other in the film. However, most of the way through, the humans are not the stars of this movie. What makes it so special, and probably what made it such a treat for kids back in the 80s is the absolutely out-of-this-world puppet work. From the adorably cute Gizmo to the utterly revolting death-throes of Stripe, the puppeteers made this movie what it is. In fact one of the only problems I have with the movie is that the producers knew the magic lied in the Gremlin puppets so they spent a bit too long on certain scenes of their antics (like in the bar and movie theater) to the point where I lost track of where the human protagonists were at. An occasional update on how the Gremlin insanity was affecting the humans in town and their Christmas might have helped carry the story along. Still, it's a fun movie, and one where I can completely understand its popularity. It still holds up well today.
½ December 28, 2015
This film is so fun. Fucked-up fun. I never understood why it was a 15 until now. And I remembered gremlins wielding chainsaws and being blended in food processors. If the second act doesn't appeal to you in all it's hyped up, maniacal horror fun, Gizmo will definitely melt your heart. I want a Mogwai so bad.This film is so fun. Fucked-up fun. I never understood why it was a 15 until now. And I remembered gremlins wielding chainsaws and being blended in food processors. If the second act doesn't appeal to you in all it's hyped up, maniacal horror fun, Gizmo will definitely melt your heart. I want a Mogwai so bad.
December 26, 2015
Gremlins is considered a Christmas's classic because of it original and refreshing story that is welcomed in this epoch, however if we think more about what could be made with a movie like this, we conclude that the suspense scenes could have been more thrilling and the narrative less predictable.
Classic sci fi from the iconic 80s/90s period
December 24, 2015
Qui dit Noel dit Gremlins. Tout simplement culte !
30 ans et toujours aussi bon a revoir.
December 23, 2015
Gremlins is one of those Christmas movies that while set Christmas isn't your traditional Christmas movie. Gremlins is a very fun, silly horror comedy movie. That acting is really good, there are some really funny moments and there's a couple of good horror moments. Gizmo is one of the cutest movie characters ever, however the gremlins the self are pretty fucked up and I love how they are just intent on causing mischief. There are a lot of great kills, especially the one with the stairlift. Gremlins is just a lot of fun, it's a great movie to watch and it's extremely entertaining. There a few problems, like I think the finale gets a bit overblown but this is a really good film. B+
December 21, 2015
Thirty years later, it's still probably the best Christmastime horror-comedy.

Grade: A