Gremlins 2: The New Batch Reviews

• May 06, 2019

I don't think anyone would call Gremlins a masterpiece. It worked, often surprisingly well, as a chaotic blend of unrelated genres and unrestrained mayhem, and that was enough. Its sequel, arriving a full six years after the original, is both a spiritual successor and a tonal departure, if that makes any sense. It retains the wicked laughs and playful, no-holds-barred character that made the first so much fun to watch, but completely disregards any shred of nuance. Granted, there's nothing all that subtle about microwaving a slimy green monster until it bursts, a particularly memorable scene from the first film, but by comparison that brand of development seems sophisticated. Gremlins 2 is like a doomed sketch comedy show, all distracted energy and crazy ideas without much focus. We've got mutated Gremlins with only the loosest of explanations (example: a veggie monster who's sampled tomato DNA). There's an ultra-shallow satire of Donald Trump, an out-of-touch media mogul who somehow does an about-face to play one of the story's heroes. Hulk Hogan directly addresses the camera. Grandpa Munster leaves the set of his late-night movie marathon to conduct a live interview with the monsters' leader (this one sipped from a bottle of brain juice, granting him refined tastes, a revolutionary's vision and a British accent). It's just way, way too much; dozens of patches to cover for a rather simple, stupid script. One caveat: it's hidden behind the crush of outrageous ideas and unhinged madness, but the film boasts a sharp sense of humor that regularly caught me by surprise. There's some genuinely witty, laugh-worthy material here, and that merits mention. Otherwise, consider this a case study for unnecessary sequels. Underthought and over-budgeted.

• Apr 29, 2019

An absolute chore to get through. So childish and cartoon-y. Not even kids will like the sudden change of the creatures' background. "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" disrespects the original without warning its fans first. Better to prevent that this one never existed.

• Apr 28, 2019

Nowhere near as good as the first one ; far too slapstick.

Nowhere near as good as the first one ; far too slapstick.

• Apr 04, 2019

This is too silly, Too Wild and way Too DUMB. It takes what the orignal did perfectly and blew it way out of proportion. I was very excited for any crazy thing to come on screen, but I was very disappointed.

• Apr 01, 2019

One of the best sequels out there. It's funny, charming, and entertaining.

One of the best sequels out there. It's funny, charming, and entertaining.

• Mar 04, 2019

This movie is so awesome it's off the awesome meter! And one of the funniest, cleverest movies of all time, too!

• Feb 26, 2019

Best film of all time

Best film of all time

• Feb 13, 2019

Gremlins 2 is a great sequel that takes the franchise in a completely different direction. Gremlins 1 is more of a horror comedy and this movie is straight up looney tunes comedy and i love it.

• Jan 04, 2019

I prefer the sequel to the original. Don't judge me!

I prefer the sequel to the original. Don't judge me!

• Dec 18, 2018

One of the extremely rare occurrences when a sequel is superior to its original. Many people wouldn't agree, but this film is a postmodern tongue-in-cheek satire, and a self-parodying joy throughout.