Gremlins 2: The New Batch Reviews

• Feb 28, 2020

A sequel that is better than the original ups the ante on action and mayhem, but with a tighter script and more inspired humor.

• Feb 13, 2020

If you didn't see this movie you are surely missing something. The thing is, there is some serious fortune-telling going on in the movie as it depicts the actual future in many ways The hilarious jokes and Plot is great to watch, even after years this LSD Trip of a film is way underrated, not only because of Gizmos cute looks.

• Feb 08, 2020

A very similar film to its predecessor, naturally. It doesn't quite hit the same positive beats as the 1984 film did, yet 'Gremlins 2: The New Batch' still makes for solid viewing. The Mogwai again look splendid, as Gizmo remains awesome. There are a few negatives, Zach Galligan's acting was weaker and Dick Miller was shoehorned in, but they don't damage the film all that much.

• Feb 04, 2020

"What if we remade die hard? BUT WITH GREMLINS!?!?"

"What if we remade die hard? BUT WITH GREMLINS!?!?"

• Dec 30, 2019

Like its titular creatures, Dante's descent into consumerist hell and satire of sequels overflows the fourth wall with unbridled chaos and comedy in equal measure, even as such unmeasured madness has no equal elsewhere (except, perhaps, HELLZAPOPPIN').

• Dec 10, 2019

Not as good as the first but it was still highly entertaining.

Not as good as the first but it was still highly entertaining.

• Dec 02, 2019

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

• Oct 27, 2019

Tuned in because as a young college student I watched the original, I thought that Phoebe and Zach would carry it. I could not be more disappointed with how it was so predicable and violent! No wonder they did not make a third.

• Oct 14, 2019

I don't know why I watched this. It wasn't very fun or funny, except the satire was good, I enjoyed that. Like an annoying episode of Looney Tunes. Bit meta too, referencing and mocking the original. "Ridiculous movie just an excuse for gags and gremlin mayhem." Meh. Great puppeteering.

• Oct 09, 2019

If I’m being perfectly honest, Gremlins 2 was actually tamer than I expected based on all I’ve heard about its reputation. It is wacky, extreme, and it isn’t shy about commenting on itself and the nature of film franchising. However, it has a relatively normal plot that progresses in logical ways, despite the insanity of all that is going on. I must admit I expected it to be virtually incoherent because they pushed the boundaries a lot, but they only betrayed the story structure once or twice. The plot is thin because they need time to explore all the weird ways the Gremlins mutate, and they want to take extra time with them goofing off. It’s interesting that the monsters never appear deadly, despite their intimidating appearance. Even the times when a Gremlin physically assaults a human, they don’t seem to kill them. They are purely mischievous creatures, who find joy in irritating the people around them. I think there are certain aspects of Gremlins 2 that would work better if I was a bigger fan of the first Gremlins film. I’ve only seen that movie once, and even though I liked it, the original wasn’t an instant favorite for me. There were quite a few references to the first movie in this film and, even though they weren’t essential to my enjoyment, I could tell I would have laughed more if Gremlins was second nature to me. Surprisingly, I think I liked this movie more than the first. My favorite aspect of this sequel is how much it focuses on the comedy. They aren’t even trying for scary at this point, and settle for funny. I absolutely adored the ways that they broke the fourth wall. The most surprising and hilarious example was the cameo appearance of Leonard Maltin. I don’t know if all fans of the original Gremlins will like The New Batch, because it is so irreverent and doesn’t seem to take anything seriously. However, if you like comedies with meta-commentary, this is a blast.