The Grey Fox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grey Fox Reviews

½ June 15, 2015
Richard Farnsworth brings a gentle intensity to the screen in the role of what should be a violent job. Deeply touching and beautifully shot. A complete shame that it has become so hard to find.
December 26, 2013
I have always loved this film from the first moment I saw it.
November 28, 2012
one of the very best westerns ever and the studio is too stupio to release it on DVD -- why????
January 9, 2012
A lovely Western about a professional stagecoach robber known as "The Gentleman Bandit" who emerges into the 20th Century (barely - it's 1901) after 33 years in prison and has to figure out what to do with himself. He's lost and adrift unable to fit in living with his sister and unable to settle into an ordinary job (though his eyes reveal twinkling delight as he observes the new world). Then he sees a movie by Edwin S. Porter: "The Great Train Robbery". He's found his new calling.

Adventure, misadventure, romance, and much beautiful scenery follow, though all of it is played in a low-key casual manner. The romance is especially endearing as an obvious meeting of equals and the romance quietly drives the rest of the film to its amusing and perfect conclusion.
October 23, 2011
Decent enough, I suppose, though its standing as one of the greatest Canadian movies is pretty sad.
April 18, 2011
Saw this movie twice in the theater in 1982 and at least twice more on VHS. Farnsworth's best performance. Gorgeously photographed and with a wonderful soundtrack (which I own on cassette). Why no DVD? Why no CD for the soundtrack?
½ December 12, 2010
Finally saw it thanks to TIFF's recent 30th anniversary airing. Unfortunately what could be Canada's greatest film is caught up on a poor distribution deal and hadn't been aired in decades. Despite damage to the original film, this one sparkles particularly due to the performances. Farnsworth steals the show as the train robber that we want to see succeed.
August 10, 2010
Subtle and slow paced, but worked its magic on me.
July 2, 2010
Bon film en général.
½ April 2, 2010
Nothing special but Richard Farnsworth's extraordinary sense of existence.
February 6, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the golden globes
July 19, 2008
This isn't available yet on DVD, but it is one of my favorite films ever made. Perfection.
May 25, 2008
one of the great Canadian movies
March 25, 2008
this movie is about mii Uncle
January 22, 2008
A marvelous and elegiac modern western, featuring a stellar performance from the Canadian stuntman-turned-actor, Richard Farnsworth.
August 19, 2007
Filmed in Fort Steele, BC, this is the true story of Bill Minor who served 18 years in prison for robbing stagecoaches. He was released in 1901, into a world that had changed and this film follows his life as he makes his way to Kamloops, BC. An interesting portrayal of a slice of someone's life and a glimpse into the past.