The Grey Fox Reviews

• Jan 22, 2018

I just watched this movie again after 20 plus years. It held up well. I still love it.

• Jun 15, 2015

Richard Farnsworth brings a gentle intensity to the screen in the role of what should be a violent job. Deeply touching and beautifully shot. A complete shame that it has become so hard to find.

• Dec 26, 2013

I have always loved this film from the first moment I saw it.

I have always loved this film from the first moment I saw it.

• Jan 09, 2012

A lovely Western about a professional stagecoach robber known as "The Gentleman Bandit" who emerges into the 20th Century (barely - it's 1901) after 33 years in prison and has to figure out what to do with himself. He's lost and adrift unable to fit in living with his sister and unable to settle into an ordinary job (though his eyes reveal twinkling delight as he observes the new world). Then he sees a movie by Edwin S. Porter: "The Great Train Robbery". He's found his new calling. Adventure, misadventure, romance, and much beautiful scenery follow, though all of it is played in a low-key casual manner. The romance is especially endearing as an obvious meeting of equals and the romance quietly drives the rest of the film to its amusing and perfect conclusion.

• Oct 23, 2011

Decent enough, I suppose, though its standing as one of the greatest Canadian movies is pretty sad.

• Apr 18, 2011

Saw this movie twice in the theater in 1982 and at least twice more on VHS. Farnsworth's best performance. Gorgeously photographed and with a wonderful soundtrack (which I own on cassette). Why no DVD? Why no CD for the soundtrack?

• Aug 08, 2010

Subtle and slow paced, but worked its magic on me.

Subtle and slow paced, but worked its magic on me.

• Jul 02, 2010

Bon film en général.

Bon film en général.

• Apr 02, 2010

Nothing special but Richard Farnsworth's extraordinary sense of existence.

Nothing special but Richard Farnsworth's extraordinary sense of existence.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 20, 2010

Finally saw it thanks to TIFF's recent 30th anniversary airing. Unfortunately what could be Canada's greatest film is caught up on a poor distribution deal and hadn't been aired in decades. Despite damage to the original film, this one sparkles particularly due to the performances. Farnsworth steals the show as the train robber that we want to see succeed.