Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes Reviews

August 22, 2015
I absolutely loved this film,it's not perfect but it's the closest I've seen to the Tarzan I imagined as a kid.
½ April 20, 2015
The scenes in the jungle are fantastic. I had no idea the movie was going to strive for such realism. At times you have to make a little effect to keep the magic alive, but if you can accept everything you see it's a rewarding experience.

I like how the part of the jungle where Tarzan lives with the apes isn't colorful and all majestic like it would be in a Disney-esque movie. It's actually kind of dreary. Very ahead of its time in that aspect. Tarzan's home is shaded, there's shelter in the trees and a waterfall to drink from. It's a practical location instead of a beautiful one. They used their brains to make this movie and not just their eyes. There's a lot of violence, but that's the kind of movie it wants to be and I'm okay with that. You can't have an authentic jungle survival movie without something bad happening. Tarzan himself is great. Christopher Lambert was born to play this role. When he leaves the jungle the movie becomes a little less interesting, but it has a satisfying ending.
½ March 23, 2015
The first half of this movie follows the story in the original Tarzan of The Apes book. It's not exactly like the book but very close. The second half doesn't follow the book at all. The book has more action where Tarzan rescues Jane from dangerous situations. This movie doesn't have Jane in danger at all. When Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the book very little was known about the apes in Africa. For the book he invented a species of ape that doesn't exist in the real world. In the book the apes were semi-intelligent and had an ape language that the young Tarzan learned to speak. In the movie they're closer to real apes but still are not gorillas and not chimpanzees but something in between. In the book Jane is an American who comes to the jungle with a group of explorers. In the movie the explorers are all killed by the African natives except for one Frenchman who is saved by Tarzan. He teaches Tarzan to speak and takes him back to England to the home of the Earl of Greystoke where he meets Jane who is the American ward of the Earl of Greystoke. The apes in the movie are people in ape costumes. This is one of the many movies where Rick Baker did the ape makeup and costumes. I saw this movie the first time in Seattle, Washington at the Lewis and Clark theaters.
December 7, 2014
A Different Take On A Very Familiar Story. It's A Quite Dark Variation On The Disney-Fied Version, More An Adult Fiction, Challenging The Social Order Between Ape & Man.
November 8, 2014
I liked. I thought it was an interesting and reasonable telling of the story.
½ July 4, 2014
Another Tarzan movie... But it wasn't that bad ! Christopher Lambert is a really great Tarzan!!
½ June 15, 2014
We all know the background to Tarzan. I liked the visual aspects of the movie (great apes), but didn't like the Scottish noble life as much.
May 29, 2014
The Highlander in the African jungle with some plastic Gorillas swinging through the trees before taking a holiday in London.
Pitifull!.
January 12, 2014
Tedious at times, interesting at others, yet so poorly handled the film never gets going.
December 31, 2013
1981's Raiders Of The Lost Ark Is My Third Favorite Film And 1933's King Kong Is My Ninth Favorite Film.
½ October 2, 2013
Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes holds the achievement of being a wonderfully created film that stands as a magnificent technical achievement for its time.
Mainly because of the lavish locations used to shoot the film. Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes features some of the finest looking locations possible to have such a story filmed on, which makes it visually appealing.
Plus the way the apes interact with cast members is impeccable and makes this jungle tale a strongly
Also, the musical score in Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes is truly magnificent, strongly atmospheric and very powerful when it needs to be, able to alternate between atmospheres when deemed appropriate as part of the story. Its truly powerful and makes its story stronger.
And when it comes to acting, Christopher Lambert captures the role of Tarzan well completely through his physicality, particularly his aggressive hypnotic gaze which is what makes him good for the role of a warrior such as The Lord of The Apes. As his character develops, so does Christopher Lambert, and so Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes features one of his best performances.
Ralph Richardson also gave a strong supporting performance and really gave a good name to the film.

But Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes becomes held down by its slow pacing and extraneous length. Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes moves at a pace that is so slow that maintaining strong interest is a challenge for it, even with its fascinating story.
Since there is little dialogue for much of Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, the atmosphere is reliant upon storytelling through visuals, but the repetitive and slow dynamics become dull as they are stretched over such a long time. That's the only real downfall of Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, but its an effective one as it makes the film overall half boring.

So while Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes is half good, its half boring. By today's standards, it's a half decent film.
September 17, 2013
LA HISTORIA DE TARZAN MUY BIEN REALIZADA
½ May 3, 2013
Francamente no ha existido un filme que retrate de manera seria y file la historia de tarzan, esto es complicado debido a que el personaje es muy diferente a como nos ha mostrado el cine desde la era del cine mudo; Creo que este filme es el que más se puede acercar fielmente, aún y con su desviación en la historia
Este filme tiene una fotografía hermosa, y la música de John Scott es también un gran logro. EL filme está separado en dos partes, la primera que nos narra el origen de Tarzan, es un tanto regular, no sentimos dolor y algunas veces raya en lo cheesy, lo interesante del filme es el segund acto, que curiosamente se aleja de lo que Burroughs hizo en la primera novela, pero es cuando entendemos que el filme es un análizis un tanto realista al mito de Tarzan, y su intento de readaptarlo en nuestra sociedad. No es mala, pero Greystoke cuando acierta, lo hace de manera hermosa, cuando falla, lo hace de manera atroz.
April 5, 2013
Memories from when I was a kid give it 5 stars.
½ March 15, 2013
Shake it, you sexy ape man you!
March 14, 2013
what a remarkable film. I've always been such a fan of Christopher Lambert ever since highlander. how have I not seen this movie
½ February 22, 2013
A well shot and picturesque modern tale of Tarzan. Lambert is very solid in his portrayal.
½ January 29, 2013
Remember seeing this when I was younger, and loved it
½ December 30, 2012
Just a list of pluses and minuses of this drama which I've seen once before.
+ Really well acted by the whole cast.
- seriously, boring! Too much wandering around in the bushed with apes.
+ Well directed and atmospheric, nice sets and music as well.
- Has some utterly silly moments.
- The plot was too simple, and had too few turns..
December 7, 2012
Think i've seen had a lapse in memory...