Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes Reviews

• Jan 25, 2019

I saw this movie in the theater when it was first released. I had been a Tarzan fan since the early 60's. My favorite had always been Johnny Weismuller, though Ron Ely was good, even in the TV series. As much as I liked the movies. none of them ever did the books justice, in my opinion. I walked out of the theater convinced that Tarzan had finally gotten a proper treatment, and that I had seen the best Tarzan ever, both the movie, and the actor. I just watched it again tonight, and that opinion has not changed.

• Oct 15, 2018

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes is a solid, but very problematic adaptation which benefits from quite strong technical aspects, very memorable and likable Ian Holm, a great beginning and ending plus it works so well as a historical picture, but it entirely failed as an adventure flick owing to its excessive realism, dull and underutilized jungle scenes and an overwhelming lack of sense of fun.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jul 30, 2018

Ralph Richardson and Ian Holm do a great deal to lend credence to and carry this bit of a different take on the ape-man story. More time is spent re-socializing the brute king than the popular 1930's jungle adventure tales, basing the thing more in the civilized world of 19th century England. Lambert does well, but the initial primal draw of the savage innocent at home with Nature story is missed with the emphasis on stuffed shirt society. Ultimately this is good storytelling, but it misses the zing of the older material.

• Apr 18, 2017

Interesting take on the story. Lambert is fantastic in the role, I totally but him as a man raised by apes. The culture clash when he gets back to civilization is the most entertaining stuff. Great score too.

• Feb 27, 2017

Better movie than i thought it would be. Worth watching

Better movie than i thought it would be. Worth watching

• Dec 15, 2016

Flawed, but it has always been my favorite version that is more true to the character.

• Sep 29, 2016

More intelligent and interesting than I imagine any Tarzan movie can be, but it struggles with dated effects and glacial pacing. Superb acting though.

• Sep 07, 2016

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes is a decent film. It is about a shipping disaster in the 19th Century has stranded a man and woman in the wilds of Africa. Christopher Lambert and Andie MacDowell give give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Hugh Hudson did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the adventure and drama.

• Aug 08, 2016

The ultimate Tarzan movie reystoke - The Legend of Tarzan is a big, ambitious film which obviously aims at being the ultimate Tarzan movie and succeeds. The film expands on one episode in the original books: Tarzan, who is actually the lost son of an British earl, goes back to his ancestral home in Scotland, where he is in theory at least now the heir to the earldom. Set around the turn of the 19/20th centuries, the film falls into two parts, the first showing Tarzan growing up in the African bush, and the second dealing with his attempts to become civilized in Scotland. In the first part, the cinematography of the African landscape is spectacular, and the special effects depicting primates and other wildlife remarkably well done. In the second part, the atmosphere of Edwardian upper-class life is richly recreated, and the portrayal of Tarzan's struggle to become civilized convincingly done. The highlight of the film is Sir Ralph Richardson, who steals the show as the old Earl (Tarzan's grandfather,) and whose last film this was. Though the film is perhaps a little too long and drags in parts towards the end, it's still consistently entertaining and worth seeing. Advisories: one mild sex scene, a few gory shots of animals being eaten raw in the jungle and dissected in London. Recommendation: if you are a fan of the Tarzan books or films, or seriously interested in the Tarzan theme in popular culture, give this five stars as something you must see. For the rest of us, a four star entertaining movie.

• Jul 26, 2016