Griff the Invisible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Griff the Invisible Reviews

February 6, 2013
Wow. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's a love letter to geeky no-one-understands-me loneliness and love in a Western world that is so full of bullies and isolation. Super touching and heart-warming. Real love is seeing the infinite that is yourself reflected in the other. This movie illustrates that so so well on many levels.
February 2, 2013
what starts off as a slightly stupid and funny off-beat comedy, develps into a quite wonderful drama about love and weirdness.
½ February 1, 2013
A very endearing, sweet film with the gorgeous Ryan Kwanten. Be warned though: a high level of tolerance for quirck is needed to get through this!
January 29, 2013
Griff the Invisible Australian film written and directed by Leon Ford. Starring Ryan Kwanten (Red Hill).

Griff ((Ryan) is an office-worker frequently bullied by his mean co-worker, he is socially awkward to spend time with - BUT at night he is Griff The Invisible protecting the citizens in his beloved neighborhood. He stumbles over a girlfriend of his brother, who shares similar understanding of the surroundings. However, little by little he comes to realize that this has been rather his imaginary world but not real.

Though it's an Australian take on superhero story, it probably settles score with twist and freak-imagination; which classifies it to be rarely built movie. Acting is average, the camera-work is fine - this is an absolute movie to choose and watch to ward off day's exhaustion.
½ January 24, 2013
A lot weirder than I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.
January 18, 2013 I don't quite know what to think of this one. Because. Spoiler alert. He isn't actually a superhero. He thinks he's one. Which, actually could be material for a really funny comedy. But the thing is, Griff is almost "too" quirky for any of it to be considered funny. As in he might actually be psychologically damaged in some way, which puts this movie in a whole new light, so in that respect, it could be a really interesting drama. Except, the stuff he does is funny. Like booby trapping the office, running around the streets, it's too funny to be a drama. So, I don't think the writer quite knew what he wanted to do with this one. However, what I did appreciate was Ryan Kwanten's performance. I am so used to seeing him as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood. This is a really nice change of pace for him. Griff is painfully shy, and more than a little quirky. Kwanten handles the interesting script really well. Overall though, he couldn't save the indecisive super hero movie.
½ January 8, 2013
Holy weird. Is that why I liked this movie?
½ January 1, 2013
a movie about one of the basic raw human emotions of needing to be understood. "come into my bubble"
½ December 30, 2012
It's silly but not without some charm.
½ December 26, 2012
12/26/2012: might be one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.
½ December 14, 2012
The movie is a bit weird and that's why I like it.
December 8, 2012
A remarkable quirky comedy that takes you to a different world. Great acting but a disappointing ending
November 27, 2012
A fun, offbeat superhero love story with Peter Pan-like themes of innocence versus reality.
October 29, 2012
Griff (Ryan Kwanten), a shy and awkward office worker by day, finds escape from his ordinary life by assuming the identity of a fantastic superhero each night. Griff's secret is jeopardized when he meets Melody (Maeve Dermody), a cute but unconventional day dreamer. She quickly becomes fascinated by his idiosyncrasies, which are equal only to her own. In the face of mounting pressure to live in the "real world," it's up to Melody to rescue Griff The Invisible for the sake of herself, Griff and their newfound love for each other.

also stars Marshall Napier, Patrick Brammall, Heather Mitchell, Toby Schmitz, Kelly Paterniti, Anthony Phelan and Kate Mulvany.

directed by Leon Ford.
½ October 21, 2012
It was weird. The title intrigued me and got me thinking that it might be a superhero movie, albeit a strange one, but really it's not. It's more of a investigation of the human psych and how people gravitate towards people who feel the same as they themselves do. That being said there was some sweet moments and in the end i quite liked it. I felt that there should have been a bit more towards the end though, i felt that it stopped suddenly.
½ October 20, 2012
not bad not bad not great
Tired of Previews
½ September 11, 2012
Question: Do you ever feel invisible? You are standing there, existing in the world but no one seems to notice you or how special you are? I am positive a lot of you think this way but there is at least one person who gets you and when that happens - all is right in your world.

An Australian film I just watched on Netflix, Griff the Invisible, touched on this subject. The movie stars Ryan Kwanten also known as Jason Stackhouse from TrueBlood speaking in his native Australian accent and playing a very different type of character. Anyway, he plays Griff, an introverted, awkward fellow who sees the world differently but who also lives in the world where no one really sees the true him. Um, not sure if I am describing it right.... The whole point of the film is that we all have our own perspectives on things but there are those rare few that no one understands and they become obsolete or unnoticeable to most.

Bottom line, Griff thinks he is a superhero put here to protect the innocent which in turn makes him want to hide from others so no one figures out his secret (mission). Okay, that's enough detail of the story. Let's talk overall picture.

Well, Griff the Invisible started off intriguing and with me wanting to know more about each character, specifically Griff. Ryan Kwanten was quite adorable as the awkward, unassuming chap who just wanted to do good deeds. He pulled off the innocence and detachment from the real world in a very convincing way. It was a big departure from his role on True Blood - the overly cocky yet not so smart character.

Another element that stood out in Griff the Invisible was the cinematography/art direction. There were not a lot of special effects in this film but just enough to keep the story on the fantastical side. Also, the use of a certain shade of yellow was splattered throughout the film. It caught my eye as I enjoy color theory and know that yellow is an intense color to grab people's attention which is the opposite of what Griff wanted. It made me curious especially when the love interest wore the other two primary colors.

Besides Ryan Kawnten and the visuals of the film, I finished the film with an unsatisfactory energy even though the ending made me smile. It started about halfway through the film, the story dulled and I found myself not really interested in the characters as much as I was in the beginning of the film. However, it was worth the viewing.

Directed & written by Leon Ford, Green Park Pictures, 2010.

Starring: Ryan Kwanten, Maeve Dermody, and Marshall Napier.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance.

My favorite thing: One character (Melody) had some great lines in it. Some made me giggle.

My least favorite thing: That the story wasn't well-rounded, I suppose.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10
September 7, 2012
Like Wes Anderson doing Kick Ass, but not at all really. Quirky and fairly likable but by no means a classic.
½ September 4, 2012
Totally awesome. It makes me grateful I have a wife who plays into my delusions.