Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Hands Off the Loot) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Touchez Pas au Grisbi (Hands Off the Loot) Reviews

½ March 14, 2015
Gabin is tough as nails in this French gangster-noir classic.
October 5, 2013
A good plot, but the film felt somewhat dated. One of the cornerstones of the modern gangster genre.
August 3, 2013
A decent film that focuses more on atmosphere than action. The score is moody but after a while becomes tiresome as it is repeated frequently. It is really Jean Gabin's show as it seems he holds all the cards being quite the veteran racketeer. A decent french film and an interesting take on the noir. First time rating: 7.4/10
April 26, 2013
It's pretty much a cliche that the "one last job" of a thief, a hitman, a criminal, what-not will almost always go wrong. Well, in this one, it's what comes AFTER the "one last job". A professional thief hoping to retire pulls a successful "one last job" but complications post-heist ensue. The film is a slow-burn, especially for a crime thriller but it pays off very much in the end. It's not quite as great as "The Hole" (the only other Jacques Becker film I've seen) and other French crime thrillers which I've seen of its era but it's still a very solid outing.
March 21, 2013
Like all the best French gangster films of the 50's and 60's Tochez pas au Grisbi is all about men living up to their code of conduct. The gangsters code of conduct.
Max and Riton are aging criminals and Max wants nothing more than to retire on the proceeds of their latest heist. Max also feels that the somewhat dim Riton has been holding him back over the years. When Riton is kidnapped by rival gangsters demanding a share of the loot (Grisbi) Max must decide if he will abandon Riton to his fate. Of course there is never any choice for Max, true to his code he must and risk all to help Riton.

What this film also shows is why Max is a criminal. He dresses well, eats in fine restaurants and visits expensive nightclubs. Compare this to White Heat where Cody despite a series of successful robberies, spends most of his hiding out in the mountains.

Along with Rififi, Bob the Flambour and Le Doulos, Touchez pas au Grisbi is a film no lover of film noir should miss
March 6, 2013
Great little French film noir that I happened to catch via TCM, well worth a look if you're a fan of the genre. A career criminal wants to pull that one last score, and we all know how those work out, now don't we?

Great stuff, and it's made me a fan of Jean Gabin for life.

Recommended.
January 25, 2013
Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954)
Losely translated this means Don't Touch the Loot.

I'm kind of new to the whole French Film Noir era of the 1950's, but seeing this movie really made me a believer. This film is my all-time favorite one, and I highly recommend it. I definitely want to see more of Jacques Becker's films.

The film begins with Max (Jean Gabin) at a restaurant hangout, Chez Bouche, with his partner, Henri Ducros dit Riton (René Dary) and some young showgirls, Josy (Jeanne Moreau) and Lola (Dora Doll). Both men are aging criminals, realizing that they are getting too old for this. Max tells Riton that he's being a fool for Josy; nightclubbing at his age; that he should kick her to the curb and if he were younger he would have simply waited and collected her money when she got home. Instead, Riton tells her that he and Max are sitting on 50 million francs in gold bars from a previous heist.

Naturally, Josy tells another crook Angelo Fraiser (Lino Ventura) about those bars. So Angelo kidnaps Riton to get the bars from Max. Although Max knows that Riton brought this on himself, he doesn't think twice about picking up the bars and releasing his buddy. Not only that, but his friends seem to drop everything to help him too. That shoots that honor amount thieves.
September 13, 2012
Top quailty French gangster movie.
May 27, 2012
Two organized crime members, an aging gangster (Jean Gabin) and his friend (Rene Dary), scheme to rob a casino of gold bars. Everything goes according to plan, but sadly, one of the friends is kidnapped by enemy gangsters, which involves a new clause for an exchange of gold bars for the friend's life with the rival criminals. Though the film is slow at times, the pay-off at the end is very strong, as well as the black-and-white photography used throughout at the movie. It could have been so good had there been more action and less chatting during the middle part, but thankfully the payoff is strong. The relatively skimpy female dancers at the beginning at quite a nice surprise as well.
May 11, 2012
My second Becker film, the first one being LE TROU, which I could appreciate but could not love... I'm even less impressed by TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI. The suspense is LE TROU pulls everything together, and the film is at times slow but never boring. GRISBI, on the other hand, has not the clarity of LE TROU. I get confused by the characters and what they are doing, and why. The cinematography is solid but nothing spectacular.
½ March 26, 2012
Pure Jacques Becker, slow to start but becomes great. Its pure film noir with an incredable stylized use of shadows and darkness you come to expect and love from film noir with a pure harass performance by Jean Gabon. (8/10).
December 17, 2011
The Melville, 'Bob Le Flambeur' comparison are valid but they're very different films. The movie is interested in subtle dialogue and body language. Becker does an interesting thing and starts the movie some time after the bank robbery has taken place. Jean Gabin is magnificent! Throughout the movie you can see him silently trying plan a few steps ahead of everyone. The film also contains a great score, that harmonica tune sticks with you.
November 12, 2011
D'une simplicité scénaristique revigorante! Du mythe et du quotidien mêlés de façon extrêmement intelligente. Un classique et pour cause.... Et puis Paris! Ce qui me fait dire que Paris me manque beaucoup dans le cinéma d'aujourd'hui. A force de ne plus vouloir filmer les lieux "clichés" qui font Paris, on ne filme plus Paris du tout!
October 5, 2011
..french film noir ??? ??? ????????? ???? ??? ????????? gang-??????? ?????? ??? ??????? ????? ???? ????????? (??? ?????? ?????? ? ??????????? ? ????????? ???????? ??????????????) ?? ?????? ??????, ?????? ? ?????????..? ?????? ????????? ??????? ? ? ?? ??????? ????? ? ? ??? ????????? ??????? ??? Melville, ? ?? ???????? ? ????????? ??? ?????? ???? Jeun Gabin ??????????? ????? ????????? ???? ??? ???? ??????????????? star ??? ???????? cinema ??? ????????? ???..
ElCochran90
September 2, 2011
Gabin's comeback to the gangster genre is a powerful examination of the constant obstacles in the life of a former criminal who has waited for a long time for retirement, and how the consequences of what was once a forgotten past comes abruptly to haunt the present.

As usual as the plot may sound, this approach was an unusual turn, especially in the 50s, the decade I'd catalogue as the best for crime French films. We get an engrossing and absorbing look into those other human details that concern even a gangster, and Becker's direction is a marvellous one for the job. Be it as it may, Gabin is the only actor in history that can have a huge sex appeal despite his age, wear pajamas and smoke a cigarette with so much style, and be a terrific face slapper, all at the same time. Now that's what being a cinema legend is all about!

99/100
August 19, 2011
Ahhhhh, how the slightest gesture from Jean Gabin brings shivers! He's one of THE coolest, suavest, bad-ass, French motherfuckers that even graced the screen. Supposedly this 'revived' his career, but how can a resume like Gabin's ever be washed-up? Becker's film is one of the best French underworld joints around. Tres bons Max!
½ August 16, 2011
moreau and gabiin make a great combo good chemistry in this kinda gangster flick.
May 16, 2011
French gangsters and their women folk were so well dressed. Such a fun film.