Growth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Growth Reviews

August 13, 2015
Then storyline for this movie had potential but it was messed up by the bad acting and sex! It's like watching a sci-fil channel movie. Wasted.
½ March 12, 2015
I've had viruses that kill you plenty of times before, and a couple that make you become a super-human, but from memory I think this is the first encounter I've had with both at the same time.

Watching this movie from beginning to end just made me think about movies like Slither, Splinter and Shiver (recurring theme much?) who have all done this thing before, only... Well, you know, good? There were way to many bad guys antagonists, and the main characters were all just boring and annoying people to be around. At least when Justin Roberts became infected (above) he became a little bit interesting (if incredibly cheesy). I really can't see any reason why this movie needed to be released? It's entirely possible that whoever came up with the plot failed and coming up with the money, and he did the best he could, but this is not the sort of a film I'd want to be putting down on a resume.

I wasn't strictly speaking bored, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was entertained. The CGI was appalling the acting was only mildly better. The whole thing was mostly unbelievable. Though it wasn't that bad, it's sooo difficult to think of any actual positive points. On a pass/fail basis, I'd give this movie a big fail. It does a couple of things okay, but it's very difficult to follow, and doesn't really have anything that stands out in apositive light about it.

17%

-Gimly
July 25, 2014
Growth (Gabriel Cowan, 2010)

Growth is one of those movies about which a whole lot of people are unloading a whole lot of calumny over on the IMDB boards. I've got an hypothesis about that (don't I always?). A lot of the things folks are saying-and I add, even before we get into it, that most of them are accurate-are the kinds of things that people say about movies that inspire ennui, not ire; it's boring, it's got plotholes you can drive a truck through, the acting is awful (that one I will dispute, at least in part, later on), the script is worse, etc. Nothing you haven't seen in hundreds of other DTV low-budget special effects extravaganzas. I think the reason that one has drawn so much hatred is that somewhere under the surface of this movie is a really, really good-perhaps great-movie. I think people are reacting to that, rather than the film we got. And that is a valid approach to criticizing the movie. But on the other hand, that also tends to give short shrift where it is, perhaps, undeserved; if you can separate what could have been from what is and overlook a few shortcomings that really are as bad as people make them out to be, this is actually not an awful way to kill ninety minutes if you're a fan of creepy-crawly horror.

Plot: researchers in a secret genetic lab on a remote island make a breakthrough in 1989, but it ends up getting loose and causing a massacre. Fast-forward twenty years. Jamie Ackerman (Magic Mike's Mircea Monroe), who escaped the terror of that night, and a handful of her friends return to the sparsely-populated island to sell her family's property. But something feels off. Larkin (Office Space's Richard Riehle), the mayor, warns her away almost as soon as she sets foot on the island, and the rest of the islanders look at her as if they haven't eaten in weeks and she's a steak. She and her crew, poking around the remains of her father's old laboratory, uncover evidence that whatever he discovered might not have been completely eradicated. Jamie realizes that her real estate adventure may be a tougher sell than she realized.

Okay, yes, this movie is dumb. But if you're picking apart the science in a horror movie, I submit that perhaps you're thinking about it a little too hard. This isn't a movie about science, it's a movie about nasty special effects. Think of it as Slugs for the serial-killer generation. That doesn't totally redeem it, of course-though one wonders how much it would if Cowan had had the kind of budget that made Alien vs. Predator into one of the best, and yet stupidest, turn-your-brain-off-and-have-fun movies of the past decade-but it's enough to get some enjoyment out of what you're seeing. If you want a creepy-crawly movie, and everything else in your collection you've seen too many times, check this out. Go into it with no expectations and you'll have some fun with it. **
½ June 14, 2014
I could't wait for it to be over.
February 10, 2013
Growth is a bad collage of a menagerie of all the sci-fi and horror concepts you've seen many times before into a well-produced but ultimately quite unoriginal film.
September 14, 2012
This movie was terrible! It was disjointed, hard to follow and boring. The characters were predictable. The plot was just not that interesting. Don't waste your money (or time) on this one.
½ September 2, 2012
Utterly boring and forgettable film that feels alot like its SyFy Channel produced. In fact now that I'm thinking about it is so forgettable I can only recall two scenes from the entire movie.
½ August 24, 2012
Wasn't too terrible. there are a number of movies with this same idea but the acting was pretty decent and i feel like that had a big impact on this movie. The flashback at the end of the movie about the doll was a nice touch. A viewer can only hope that the antidote got to the final survivor at the end, Could the movie have been better? yes, in a few aspects. But it also could have sucked a lot worse than it did.
August 5, 2012
Did I really just waste my time on this? :(
½ July 12, 2012
Idiotic watered down retread of 'The Thaw' which in itself was just a severly watered down version of 'The Thing'. There's some other mumbo jumbo thrown in but all said and done it just feels like an episode of Dawson's Creek guest starring shitty CGI worms.
½ May 13, 2012
It runs a little slow from time to time but when they rip off a lim and beat them with the blood sub of it it will awake you back up.
½ April 12, 2012
it runs alittle slow from time to time but when they rip off a lim and beat them with the blood sub of it it will awake you back up lol its oly an hour and half long it with the time
½ December 31, 2011
The screenplay was obviously inspired by the Resident Evil 0 [Zero] video game in that parities infected people and slithered all around. The movie was a colossal failure in the utterly pointless slow pace and anti-climactic ending of the major antagonist and heroine of the film. Don't waste your time.
½ October 11, 2011
June 21, 2011
I just wanted to close any hole in my body
May 16, 2011
I liked the premise even though it has been done before
½ May 14, 2011
Fast forwarded through most of it to cut down time I would never recover down to 30 minutes. Of the little I saw, it felt like a a really really bad episode of X-files
½ April 29, 2011
A pedestrian, humorless film with production values on par with a SyFy channel original, meaning cut-rate CG, second-rate acting and bargain basement writing. It's about genetically-engineered, slug-like parasites that infect people and give them superhuman strength and senses while turning them homicidal and making them melt in salt water. It's also about a half hour too long for the thin material. The one redeeming quality it has is pure gross-out factor; if you let your glassy eyes get unfocused enough to not notice that the digital parasites look digital and there is liberal use of computer-generated blood spurts (which NEVER look convincing, so can we please ban them from all future horror films?), there's enough squick in here to provide limited fun.

The story: a young woman and her twenty-something friends arrive on an island on which her father and his scientist pals once genetically engineered parasitic crawly things that were somehow meant to be to the benefit of mankind but weren't. She thinks she's inherited the place but she hasn't. For some reason, the parasites have left the inhabitants of the island alone for 20 years, but they now become active again. One of her friends is infected and starts killing people. The islanders band together to stop them, but the woman has a (very simple) formula for a drug to stop the infestation. An arm gets ripped off here, a few people get shot, things crawl in and out of holes in people's skin, and there's a predictable ending. You may now go find something more interesting to watch.

Aside from not capitalizing on potentially humorous situation and lacking in originality, the continuity errors really detract from what might have been a passable flick with more effort. Blood stains on character's shirts appear and disappear. Wounds appear and disappear. They just weren't trying very hard. There's even some evidence that a couple of the scenes were intended to be in a movie about a disease instead of one about parasites. Otherwise, after their prior experience with the beasties, why would the islanders bother wearing pollen masks to stop them? It clearly doesn't work.

If you are hankering for a good flick about parasites, try David Cronenborg's "Shivers." If you want over-the-top fun, try "Slither." If you want entertaining so-bad-it's-good cheez, track down "Squirm." "Growth" borrows liberally from all of these but never attains the merits of any of them. It's one of those movies you might leave on for background noise, but you'll have forgotten you've seen it in a week or so.
April 8, 2011
Average, story line is all over the place, we found it hard to follow. But there was a few times it made you jump, so an extra star for that.
I wouldn't bother unless there's absolutely nothing else to watch...