The Grudge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grudge Reviews

July 18, 2017
Imagine if House on Haunted Hill was made in 2004, was a remake of a crappy Japanese movie, had no plot and was incredibly cynical. That's The Grudge. There may be 15 minutes which are salvagable but still incredibly dumb.
July 16, 2017
Boring. I felt asleep 4 times. Watching a bean to grow is more exciting than this movie.
½ June 18, 2017
It commits the mistake of the original, but this it is more lame, 'cause this is a copy of the first movies, but aestheticaly more boring.
June 2, 2017
The use of American actors in the original Japanese setting is a respectable attempt, but I felt a lot of unnecessary confusion from the direction crept its way into the plot of the film itself. It seemed that there was so much effort in establishing why these foreigners were in the setting that it removed from the themes from the source material it was adapted from. Still a stellar performance from the original actors that assume the roles of the ghosts, Kayako and Toshio, again in this film. Their appearance in those roles really saves the final act of this movie. American audiences might not adapt too well to the illogical horror pattern that The Grudge presents, and while it may have been a triump of international cooperation in film-making, this movie could have done well to decrease any excess confusion that is not a part of the confusing plot alone.
May 2, 2017
Like most horror films, this one really makes no sense.

I will admit then when I first saw it many years ago, it haunted me for days, so there are some scenes in it that will stay with you. But certain other scenes that creeped me out back then only make me laugh or scratch my head now.

The idea of a ghost following you home to your apartment, calling you in the voice of your family member to chat with you for a second to convince you to open a door, project an image of said family member on the other side of said door's peephole, only to later crawl into that person's bed to scare them there later, which you sort of realize they can already do without needing you to open the door... that used to scare the crap out of me, but now it makes me chuckle, because now I can only think from the ghost's point of view, and how she/they go through all that trouble just to go "boo, gotcha". Most horror movies operate on this same stupid logic, but The Grudge seems almost famous for it. The entire movie is "boo, gotcha!"

Horror movies are effective because they confuse us and we don't quite "get" what is going on; something has to be out of the ordinary, and therefore, unsettling. Therefore, there need to be many scenes involving bizarre, weird stuff that doesn't normally happen. But if you think about it for more than a second, it's more silly than scary. And this movie is FULL of these moments. The boy with the black hole for a mouth who screams like a cat... scary when I first saw it. Watched it years later and laughed at the absurdity of it.

All the same, The Grudge still gives me some serious nostalgia whenever I see it, so for that I can't be too hard on it. That, and for the fact that once I got older, it became more amusing than scary.
March 15, 2017
I'm in the minority to say that this is one the best Western remakes of an Asian horror film, and a little superior to the original. I love the non linear story line and how everything comes together.
March 4, 2017
Wasn't scary at all but a little good
March 1, 2017
I've seen this movie 3 times, and i still think i must have missed the important part because i dont get it!
½ February 10, 2017
Really enjoy watching the grudge, even though we are mislead or left questioning things at varied points in the film the ending brings understanding surrounding the backstory to the Grudge. Some good jump scares and great usage of sound design to create an eeriness to the film.
February 6, 2017
I was was astounded at how inaccurate the reviews are for The Grudge on this site. Usually Rotten Toms is pretty reliable. The same director who helmed the original did this American remake. This is a classic. Truly terrifying if, like me, your weak spot is ghosts.
January 23, 2017
Using Japanese mythology to lay the groundwork for a spine-tingling haunted house chiller, The Grudge remains the closest to reaching the Asian horror remake standard set by The Ring, thanks to concise moments of gut-wrenching dread, creepy imagery and a terrific performance from Sarah Michelle Gellar.
January 22, 2017
Incoherent with a poor plot that will leave you confused. It carries a sense of foreboding with creepy images, but it didn't really make any sense to me. (First and only viewing - 6/16/2013)
January 7, 2017
Takkako Fuji's role in this is my best opinion but I still don't really understand "the curse" so much please explain!

I gave this okay because I actually got scared! And that's not something I have while watching.

A little bit of a bad movie
A good scare
½ November 29, 2016
best of the grudge series by far
November 7, 2016
a decent concept and some great visuals, but something is missing from the equation. SMG really under performs as the lead, leading to a lot of wasted potential.
½ October 31, 2016
The plot (or lack thereof) is horrible. Maybe it could have been good. Then again, maybe not.
October 28, 2016
it has sarah michelle! ok, not so good.
October 13, 2016
Kann man gucken, muß man aber nicht.
October 12, 2016
Buffy rocks!!!... I love the setting and the killing...Enough to give you stomuch ache while watching..gggggrrrrrrrr...
½ October 11, 2016
Stupid movie which is far from scary, couldnt be bothered to watch the rest.