The Grudge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Grudge Reviews

March 15, 2017
I'm in the minority to say that this is one the best Western remakes of an Asian horror film, and a little superior to the original. I love the non linear story line and how everything comes together.
March 4, 2017
Wasn't scary at all but a little good
March 1, 2017
I've seen this movie 3 times, and i still think i must have missed the important part because i dont get it!
½ February 10, 2017
Really enjoy watching the grudge, even though we are mislead or left questioning things at varied points in the film the ending brings understanding surrounding the backstory to the Grudge. Some good jump scares and great usage of sound design to create an eeriness to the film.
February 6, 2017
I was was astounded at how inaccurate the reviews are for The Grudge on this site. Usually Rotten Toms is pretty reliable. The same director who helmed the original did this American remake. This is a classic. Truly terrifying if, like me, your weak spot is ghosts.
January 23, 2017
Using Japanese mythology to lay the groundwork for a spine-tingling haunted house chiller, The Grudge remains the closest to reaching the Asian horror remake standard set by The Ring, thanks to concise moments of gut-wrenching dread, creepy imagery and a terrific performance from Sarah Michelle Gellar.
January 22, 2017
Incoherent with a poor plot that will leave you confused. It carries a sense of foreboding with creepy images, but it didn't really make any sense to me. (First and only viewing - 6/16/2013)
January 7, 2017
Takkako Fuji's role in this is my best opinion but I still don't really understand "the curse" so much please explain!

I gave this okay because I actually got scared! And that's not something I have while watching.

A little bit of a bad movie
A good scare
½ November 29, 2016
best of the grudge series by far
November 7, 2016
a decent concept and some great visuals, but something is missing from the equation. SMG really under performs as the lead, leading to a lot of wasted potential.
½ October 31, 2016
The plot (or lack thereof) is horrible. Maybe it could have been good. Then again, maybe not.
October 28, 2016
it has sarah michelle! ok, not so good.
October 13, 2016
Kann man gucken, muß man aber nicht.
October 12, 2016
Buffy rocks!!!... I love the setting and the killing...Enough to give you stomuch ache while watching..gggggrrrrrrrr...
½ October 11, 2016
Stupid movie which is far from scary, couldnt be bothered to watch the rest.
½ September 19, 2016
Just watched this again for the first time in YEARS. Not sure how I got through it the first time.
September 14, 2016
The Grudge is too much confusing and bad acted to understand what and why the things are happening, and with the help of a poor soundtrack, the predictable narrative and the lack of originality we can consider this movie a truly fiasco.
½ August 22, 2016
this was so disappointing!!!was scary at parts and the cat was frightening... but the rest failed
½ August 21, 2016
The Grudge a creepy film, but it lacks what the original had. Which was true horror, but for a remake it did a good job, but a unnecessary remake. However, great performance by Sarah Michelle Gellar, and the cast did their part.
½ August 2, 2016
Very scary thoughout the whole movie. It worked on both visual and audio scares to keep a constant feeling of dred.