Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Reviews

½ November 17, 2018
The first Guardians movie was such a refreshing and unexpected surprise, this was a tough act to follow. Not quite matching their amazing first outing, this is still a hugely enjoyable movie...
½ November 16, 2018
not as good as the first but good for a sequel
½ November 13, 2018
While definitely not as good as its predecessor, "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" still contains the first's tone, laughs, and character work. Fans of the first film will definitely love its sequel.
November 12, 2018
It's a great movie!
½ November 9, 2018
This film was almost good.
½ November 9, 2018
This is almost on-par with its predecessor, with improvements in its visuals, its humour and its terrific villain. There is a great soundtrack to boast that doesn't feel like it is over-dominating the film. The central theme of family is refreshing, however it suffers from being slightly disjointed in its plot, and seems to be more focused on the humour than the film. But there are great emotional moments that are both unexpected and rewarding, and the new characters add to the fun of the film. Overall, another great flick!
November 4, 2018
Loved the first one 85% certified fresh
November 4, 2018
If you're a creationist you may or may not love this movie, depending on how out of touch with reality you actually are. If by chance you're a semi-recreational believer in a debunked theory that god and the snow elves made Christmas in seven days which means the earth is approximately 6,000 years old then you might enjoy the theological aspects of the movie, along with its exploration of how something can exist where nothing once dwelled. On the other hand if you're a hard core everyday creationist this might take you over the edge into believing that baby Groot is the second coming of Jesus and Sylvester Stalone is a reincarnated John the Baptist.

I thought I'd just get that out of the way, you have been warned.

Guardians Vol 2 has to be judged by its own merits, and by that I mean it has to rigorously stand up to the standards set by the first, which in my opinion it does quite nicely. It's a very funny movie with a soundtrack to match the original. The characters are all very unique and if you're discovering them for the first time you'll enjoy their Marvel abilities and quirky sense of humour, not too unlike Deadpool if one was to look for a comparison.

There are some awful bits of course, the constant relationship whinging, some implausible action scenes, the annoying storyline in which every character seems to have parenting issues, gold raced space pilots who can't fly spaceships, and an ending so unbearably cheesy that it made me think the movie was completely ruined, but I projectile vomited and remembered this movie was for the creationists and I shouldn't judge them for their stupidity.

What this film does very well is open with an action scene, shot from the musical perspective of the Baby Groot, who continues to bring some adorable and hysterical scenes throughout. There are some gritty space deaths, emotional outbursts (not Stalone's one but other ones), and enough rocket moments to make this an entertaining movie, all in all it stacks up as a great cinema experience with stunning visuals and great characters. As a marvel space movie it's worth a watch, even if you are of scientific mind, just ignore the usual ignorance for the laws of gravity and don't be too concerned about the wholesale alien interbreeding by the universe's most god like Caucasian male who just wants to bond with his chosen son, who just so happens to be American, it's a coincidence, the universe is a big place anything could happen, infinite possibilities, somewhere there could be a universe where the earth is actually no more than 6000 years.....no wait scrap that thought....that's still irrational.
?
I am Groot
October 30, 2018
Guardians one, Mommy issues. Guardians two, Daddy issues. I'm not actually sure how comic book accurate the villain is in this film. Although I know what he looks like. The way they went, was in my opinion, better especially how they made the origin or explanation how he got on the ship in the first place for the specific reason, in the first one. Everyones acting especially rocket was great.

The special effects were brilliant. And the CGI was even better. I like how we got to dive into the story of Yondu and his gang/job. I'm surprised during this origin their were no flashbacks. Should I be disappointed. Very funny, also this doesn't connect to the MCU which i am quite annoyed at. The humour was good and i would definitely recommend it. I would age this PG for sex references, soft language and violence.

Grade: A-
October 30, 2018
A sequel that is a little too much of the same. It features everything you loved about Guardians of the Galaxy, but with poor pacing and an overabundance of emotional moments between too many characters. It is still enjoyable as a Marvel movie.
½ October 29, 2018
While Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is better than the first, it still stands at the same level as the first with nice visuals, good performances, but with characters that I still don't really care about.

7/10
½ October 21, 2018
the most fun MCU movie in my opinion
½ October 20, 2018
not that good, but not that bad either
October 15, 2018
Preferred the first one tbh. Still enjoyed it though.
my 2nd favorite marvel movie
October 15, 2018
A sequel that is by far ten times better than the original.
½ October 15, 2018
actors were great, story sucked
October 13, 2018
A cartoonish ride that achieves little more than adding a new member to the team. The core characters remain mostly unchanged by the credits roll. Pure filler.
October 13, 2018
The humour is completely different to the first one which had clever jokes compared to jokes about poo, weak villain whose reveal was not at all shocking to me as it was so obvious, and ruins everything great about the first one and tried to take it to a new level which fell flat for me
October 13, 2018
Great visuals, a lot of fun.