Guess Who - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Guess Who Reviews

½ August 23, 2014
Ashton looked like he was leaving the nest of THAT 70s SHOW with some promise. Clearly that promise-ring flopped as bad as Foremans ring did with Donna. However, before that happened, he made a few movies we truly enjoy. Far from award-winning fare, movies like THE BOSS'S DAUGHTER and KILLERS demonstrate Kutcher is capable of great hilarity! And maybe some savoir-faire. Somehow he just works it! Despite his notorious rep for cheating on one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the screen, impotence and his latest nonsense with Mila (hard to imagine anyone could believe such ridiculous fiction!) Ashton has aced half a dozen roles that not only suit him but will live long after his already depleted clout. GUESS WHO is one of them. Based tongue-in-cheek on the classic idea of GUESS WHOS COMING TO DINNER (not the movie itself)...the inverted notion reminds us that not only can black people be racist (and not just against whites) they can actually be downright rude as hell. The in-law element of comedy and drama has been milked for decades by every genre of the art world including movies and though it should be disturbing it can be funny as hell if you allow yourself to get past the unsettling elements of it.
I personally find watching these stories make me wanna kick someone's ass for simply being rude as ****. Fortunately, Bernie Mac (who I didn't think was the least bit talented) is dead...so there's no repercussions simply saying let's hope his utterly douche character in the movie is no reflection of his real personality. As I've mentioned before reviewing Crossroads, knowing Zoe helps when watching the movie. Though her character should ideally support Ashton more, she's the only real level head in sight. And of course she's easy on the eyes.
Bernie's dinosaur character stomps through central Tokyo of common sensibilities and without his arcane vulgarity there'd be no contrast for humor. Such is the necessary mechanics for comedy which is much harder than most think.
It's for this reason that the ongoing offensiveness of this movie keeps you watching and makes you laugh if you let it. As Ashton did in THAT 70s SHOW, he continues to evolve his confidence in wearing dresses and anything else he needs to do to get a laugh -- something I admire. The truly disturbing wrinkle in this story is the poorly-created recipe for Zoe's disastrous reaction to Ashton's headless chicken act trying to dot every "I" and cross every "T" and keep all the plates turning as though the work a man does trying to keep women happy (which is nearly impossible) deserves no respect or appreciation.
It's poorly written and -- let's hope to god -- inaccurate.
Still the movie is worth watching and funny in that "offensive on every social level" way.
Let's hope people like this don't exist and if they do we never get engaged to their kid
½ August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 9/1/2012)
½ July 1, 2014
This head-scratcher kept me thinking "comedy? really?" And ashton kutcher as a corporate mover-and-shaker?! And a romantic lead?!?! Poor writing, horrible acting, abysmal directing. I want the one hour and forty-five minutes back! What a complete waste of time!!
June 30, 2014
2014-06-30 ok, not super funny but pretty clean humor
June 21, 2014
A great twist on one of my favorite movies. This one surprisingly worked for me
May 10, 2014
Quite funny movie with a cast full of stars and with a beautiful moral.
March 6, 2014
Enjoyed this one a lot. Pretty funny.
½ January 9, 2014
This film hurt my feelings.
January 5, 2014
Muy divertida comedia, muy buena compenetracion entre los protagonistas.
December 31, 2013
Another random remake from a Sydney Poitier film starring Ashton Kutcher & Bernie Mac. Nothing really new under the sun, Kutcher seems as dumb as ever & he rest of the cast seem to be wondering why the hell they are in this dud? Oh yeah they all got a big pay check i forgot.
September 26, 2013
very funny. I enjoyed it very much.
September 5, 2013
I'd never stopped laughing
August 18, 2013
this movie cracks me up
½ August 15, 2013
"Guess Who" does not delve thoroughly enough into its suggested subject matter, and instead uses the interplay between its actors to succumb to nothing more than mere racist stereotypes that result in failed attempts at humour.
July 30, 2013
It had potential to highlight interesting themes on racism and social class but instead squandered it with rom-com clinches. Still quite entertaining
½ July 24, 2013
Everytime I see this film, I enjoy myself!
July 3, 2013
The biggest mistake made by the creators of this film was attempting to compare it in any way to the 1967 classic, 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.' This is a modern romantic comedy, plain and simple. Watching it again reminded me just how much I miss Bernie Mac's incredible comic timing.
June 26, 2013
I love this movie I find it such a shame that its voted down so much. I love Ashton and found this to be hilarious and could only imagine how if the roles were reversed how my father would react. Cute and charming, easy to follow story line. Need to buy.