Guilty as Sin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Guilty as Sin Reviews

½ June 22, 2016
The only movie I've ever walked out of.
½ October 15, 2014
Director Sidney Lumet has made a lot of great films over his esteemed career. and while "Guilty as Sin" will never be mistaken for any of them, it is a very entertaining and yet highly improbable thriller. He's a talented filmmaker, and he sells the story. Because of that, it hooks you and you buy into it despite your reservations.

Larry Cohen will probably never win an Oscar as a screenwriter, but you have to give this guy credit where it's due; he spins an entertaining yarn and that is definitely the case here. The casting is good as well. Rebecca DeMornay and Don Johnson are both impossibly good-looking here, but you believe them in their respective roles. These are fun characters, and it's very enjoyable but sometimes silly watching them play their cat and mouse game. Johnson is especially good in a wonderful, scenery-chweing performance that gives him the rare chance to play the bad guy. He's a lot of fun, and Cohen gives him some juicy lines of dialogue.

It's a rare twist in a courtroom thriller where the defendant's guilt or innocence is black and white right from the start. The ending, however, is a little too abrupt and wraps things up a little too neatly for my tastes, and the resolution seems disappointingly routine to me. The audience that has stuck with this audacious thriller for that long deserves a better conclusion. Clearly, seasoned filmmaker Lumet made "Guilty as Sin" as a lark, and when it works, it does so because of his skill and some fun casting. It's silly, but quite a bit as fun as well.
½ February 2, 2014
I liked this more than I expected to, though it was in spite of the empty block of wood Nash Bridges. I longed for someone with charisma in the role, like Alec Baldwin (considering he did Glengarry Glen Ross the year before). Cohen's script is tight and angry (he clearly hates attractive, arrogant men) and, although the ending itself is bizarrely abrupt, I appreciated Lumet's refusal to turn it into a dumb action movie in the third act, which these wordy thrillers often tend to do.
½ June 9, 2013
Guilty as Sin is a decent film. It is about a female lawyer takes an accused wife-murderer as a client, but finds herself morally compelled to betray him one way or another. Don Johnson and Rebecca De Mornay give good performances. The script is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Sidney Lumet did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
½ April 11, 2012
Slow but suspenseful
June 9, 2011
"L'avocat du diable"
May 21, 2011
Tenso y bien dirigido suspenso, que logra mantener interesados a todos. Rebecca DeMornay, como siempre, bella.
March 5, 2011
I find this film interesting and good. Though I would still suspect that no one will ever handle women that well...
December 12, 2010
Rebecca De Mornay and Don Johnson
½ September 25, 2010
Decent Thriller starring Don Johnson in a enjoyable role. Sidney Lumet manages to direct this with grave suspense. especially towards the climax.
June 22, 2010
Favorite Scene: History Lesson
½ June 22, 2010
Very slick performance from Don Johnson, he gives depth to the character through the ?superficialness? he has the character display. Everything Greenhill does seems practiced to perfection ? as well groomed as he is.
June 20, 2010
I liked this better than I probably should have, I am partial to courtroom dramas, perhaps also it was Sidney Lumet?s direction. Don Johnson is quite good and well cast. Rebecca DeMornay is fair, she does the job but doesn?t stand out. I did find it suspenseful and I never lost interest. It had the expected twists,and it did go a little too far with the story. Otherwise, good story.
June 20, 2010
62/100. I liked this better than I probably should have, I am partial to courtroom dramas, perhaps also it was Sidney Lumet's direction. Don Johnson is quite good and well cast. Rebecca DeMornay is fair, she does the job but doesn't stand out. I did find it suspenseful and I never lost interest. It had the expected twists,and it did go a little too far with the story. Otherwise, good story.
½ June 3, 2010
Vähän jotenkin tönkkö vaikka idea on ihan hyvä ja Jack Warden mahtava.
November 6, 2009
Absolutely hilarious. Terrible plot and terrible perfomances. It kinda reminded me of jagged edge but far more ridiculious. Don Johnson is hysterical as the womanising psychopath and Rebecca De Mornay is shocking as the high powered lawyer. Thriller my arse, comedic spoof more like. Ah we watched we laughed.
October 7, 2009
** (out of four)

Courtroom thriller from director Sidney Lumet could have used a bit more accomplished of a cast. There is really nothing new or fresh and it is very predictable.
November 28, 2008
middle aged drama starring 2 poorly trained actors. complete 'guilty' pleasure
September 4, 2008
A great suspense movie.
August 26, 2008
Dunno d name of d guy who played d wife muderer role,d guy sure is wicked...He got away wit every murder he committed,worst of all is that he killed his own wife in a cunning way and almst got away wit...He really made d female lawyer's life miserable...He almost succeded in killing her..Fortunately,he met his waterloo.