Guinevere Reviews

• Nov 21, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this vision of Arthurian England, mainly for its compelling storytelling and intelligent considerations of political, religious, and feminist issues. It suffers from all of the flaws one would expect from a mid-'90s TV movie. The production quality is weak, with mostly stilted dialogue and performances, but the film is nonetheless anchored by Sheryl Lee's authoritative presence in the title role: successfully navigating an almost impossible political quagmire through deep personal sacrifice to unite England behind the values of peace, unity, compassion, and nonviolence. Ahead of its time, Guinevere offers an inspiring feminist role model for today's viewers, as the need for an improved social order informed by feminist values becomes increasingly recognized. The script adroitly adapts the existing Arthurian legend of Guinevere, Arthur, Lancelot, and Morgan le Fay, maintaining the structure of those characters' relationships while re-envisioning Guinevere and Lancelot as groomed by le Fay to rule as High King and Queen of a Pagan and Goddess-oriented England. As Guinevere recognizes that much of England has become Christian, she consents to marry Arthur instead, sacrificing her own love to unite Pagan and Christian England in peaceful harmony. The film forgoes the latter half of the Arthurian tragedy, ending on a note of inspiration, perhaps signaling modern viewers to apply Guinevere's wisdom to current world affairs - to imagine the beauty that could be, rather than dwell in the tragic gloom of Camelot's collapse. Give this film a second look. It has a lot to teach us.

• Aug 29, 2009

Sean Patrick Flanery está monísimo, pero la película es maaaaalaaa, maalaa...

Sean Patrick Flanery está monísimo, pero la película es maaaaalaaa, maalaa...

• Mar 04, 2008

Um... yeah. Sucked. And hasn't changed my bad opinion of Guinevere, either. And egads I hate what they did with Arthur and Morgaine. Blah blah blah.

• Feb 27, 2008

Lame. For some reason I don't think they had those hair styles way back when. I think the only time this movie held my interest at all was occasionally when Merlin was speaking. Some of the music wasn't too bad either. I think my biggest gripe was with the person who played Quinevere, simpling having a better actress play her I think would have helped this movie a whole lot, especially since she's the primary character.

• Leo L Super Reviewer
    Jan 13, 2008

An interesting take on a fascinating tale of old.

An interesting take on a fascinating tale of old.