Gumby: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gumby: The Movie Reviews

½ September 22, 2016
A good kids movie to enjoy!
April 29, 2016
A Gumby movie about farmer's trusts, sweet guitar shredding, a dog that cries actual pearls, kidnappings, evil robot duplicates, trippy music sequences and how you should never borrow money. AKA How'd I miss this one when I was a kid? Honestly, a pretty solid movie with a handful of pop culture references and enjoyable Gumby fun for all.
February 16, 2016
Growing up as a kid I was OBSESSED with this movie! So much so that all these years later I still remembered the whole plot and characters perfectly. I honestly have no idea why. My best guess is because it is so different from anything else ever created. It is an extremely basic stop motion with extremely minimalist characters and plot. It is more than obvious to see that this stop motion was put together with a small team and very basic directions, but that is what makes it so great.
The characters (especially Gumby) are more than aware of the fact that they are just made of clay. They don't mind getting cut into little pieces because they know they can stick back together and change into whatever object they wish. Another thing I think that drew me to this movie as a kid was the world these characters live in. They all come from books or VHS tapes and can willingly travel between them to have the most bizarre experiences.
For anyone who wasn't around when this movie was made or are in the mood for a simple blast from the past, please check out this movie. It isn't high budget and squeaky clean like stop motion of today. It is simple and isn't perfect, but that's what makes it so great.
½ August 18, 2015
Decent, but nowhere near as good as the TV show from the 1950's and 1960's or even the reboot TV series from the 1980's.
½ June 8, 2014
Used to like this movie know I hate it
February 17, 2014
taught me everything i know today
February 5, 2014
this is a great movie.
January 20, 2013
one of the creepiest and worst kids' movies. Makes no sense, stick to the old show (much like Rocky and Bullwinkle but worse)
½ August 10, 2012
I think to enjoy this movie you have to either be under the age of 10, or really, really high. I'm not too sure about that though, because I can't imagine ever being high enough to enjoy this. What made the cartoon charming was that each episode lasted around eight minutes. This movie is stretched painfully over an hour. There is nothing to be found in this vapid wasteland of childrens entertainment. It loses it's own narrative, somehow involving aliens, and then a robot cloning plot, ending in medieval times...or something, and I think the only lesson to be learned is....the power of rock and roll? It was so boring, the voice acting was wooden and stilted, and the clay animated humans were the creepiest thing I've seen since the child rape-y santa clause movie. If I had to hear Pokey say 'Holy Toledo!' one more time, I was gonna vomit. Please, protect your children from this.
March 2, 2012
By far one of my favorite stop motion animations ever. The action, the comedy, the music, its all good fun for kids and adults!
July 28, 2011
I use to like this when I was little kid. Now, I realize that it tells one of the stupidest stories in history, about a dog that can cry pearls. Really?
July 16, 2011
As a fan of Gumby and Pokey from way back, I was hopeful for a bit of nostalgia, but no such luck. Younger son (3yo) liked it, 5th was alternately bored and scared. He only really got into it when the light sabers (!?!) appeared.
½ June 5, 2011
People my age will probably be the last generation to be able to look back at beloved characters from their youth and fondly remember watching Gumby and his clay friends. Gumby was one of the most positive influences on children due to the fact that he could handle any problem, no matter how big or serious, and handle it non-violently by either talking or coming up with a solution that was mutually beneficial to everyone, concluding every episode on a positive note.
Gumby was popular among children in the late 1950's through the 1960's and then hit a bit of a dry note before making a comeback in the mid 1990's and now it as if Gumby has been exiled to cartoon purgatory with other great forgotten characters like Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. Most children today have probably never even heard of Gumby or if they have, sadly, probably think he's stupid as a result of all the mind-numbing computer animated cartoons on television nowadays (Star Wars: The Clone Wars anyone?). Claymation actually dates back to the early 1900's through the 1920's but was never became that admired by the public until artists like Art Clokey came on the scene and did Gumby, and back then this form was pretty revolutionary in the animation industry, which is another reason why we can't forget Gumby.
Which is why I thought I would review Gumby: The Movie. As an adult, I still watch this movie although the first thing I noticed about the DVD release is that certain scenes were cut I'm sure to help make for a better pace, but remembering the scenes as a kid almost tarnished seeing the DVD for me. The chopped scenes are all in the "Deleted Scenes" section of the DVD, almost as if the people who produced the DVD cut the scenes just so they could have a "Deleted Scenes" section.
Anyway, in this movie, Gumby and his friends are faced with a few dilemmas, all stemming from his rivals, the blockheads, and Gumby and his friends solve them in a series of enjoyable scenes in which they phase in and out of books, change into clay blobs, get on stage and play guitar, or to a more enjoyable extent, parody classic pop-culture movies, one of them being Star Wars. The characters need little introduction or development as they are all pretty clean cut and already easy to understand and the movie has some pretty catchy original musical scores.
Overall, this movie is enjoyable for both adults and children and still proves that a character can still capture your imagination without being constructed from a 3D modeling program.
January 6, 2011
I always thought Gumby was a cool character when I was young, but we can all agree that none of the actors portraying him, Pokey and the gang, were ever good (sorry Art Clokey you just never had the talent) I swear, I could choke those posable action figures if they had voice buttons. I could see Gumby having a comeback, in a respectable stop-motion film. Unfortunately, that day has not come. Besides, who would bother; it's just like recreating Davey & Goliath (another classic but annoyingly sounding cartoon [it felt Radicalized too])
½ December 18, 2010
Moreso for kids than for adults, in the same way Bambi is but not in the same way that tripe like Over the Hedge is or anything. A brilliant movie no matter what the shortcomings may be, however.
December 12, 2010
Pros: Funny at times, the animation got better.
Cons: The beginning had terrible animation.
½ August 14, 2010
This movie was a childhood favorite. I rented this movie a lot back I lived in Plano, Texas, and I thought it was enjoyable and entertaining.
July 12, 2010
I loved this movie as a kid.. :)
½ April 1, 2010
A claying-funny animation movie that kids will watch again again. (90% fresh)