Gunga Din - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gunga Din Reviews

September 6, 2015
Just a well made,well acted funny war fable.....they'd have to cut the s#$t out of the script to remake it today though.
August 15, 2015
Decent enough romp if you ignore the imperialism. Imagine Carry Grant punching asian people in the face for 2 hours. Apparently he was English but can't do an English accent.
August 13, 2015
Go watch this movie right now. Tons of fun. It has everything, laughs, action, and tear jerking moments.

Holds up incredibly well. No joke is overdone, a lot of variety.

I can see that films like Indianan Jones and The Man who would be King be inspired by this film.

I can't praise it enough. Check it out. NOW!
June 22, 2015
Action and Adventure. Influential but of another era.
½ February 9, 2015
Butthurt white guilty liberals are butthurt. :(
Let us never forget the greatness who was Gunga Din! A true hero.
January 18, 2015
El mejor film de aventuras . 10 estrellas!!!
½ November 23, 2014
A hilarious and enjoyable Indian adventure, even it's made more than 75 years ago.
September 7, 2014
Though the cast appears to be having a grand time, the cultural stereotypes and long length of Gunga Din makes it a bit tiring to watch.
July 7, 2014
Since my age was a single digit, I've watched this film more times than I can count. Simply a great story with excitement, humour, top quality acting and a timeless soundtrack.
May 19, 2014
A funny, nicely paced action adventure movie.
½ April 26, 2014
One of The Best Action Movies Ever Made.
April 23, 2014
classic action adventure yarn
March 18, 2014
So as much as I dislike the culture of my maternal ancestors, WHY are the rebels against British Imperialism always dark skinned, dumb and kinda wimpy? Oh and treacherous. However, I can't think of ANYTHING more gorgeous than Cary Grant. I admit I was oddly into the scene where he had his hands tied up. I mean the man torso was just beautiful and those biceps and deltoids. And the chin, mein gott that CHIN!!!! And his hair...it was just begging for some good tugs.....Oh Cary....
November 20, 2013
The adventure film I have been dying to see for years I finally got around to & like many films I get excited about it fell a bit short.

Surprisingly this was the 2nd most commercially successful film of 1939 second naturally to Gone with the Wind.

Although it's a good little story about a group of English Soldiers working with Gunga Din to stop a muderous cult it was a struggle in parts.

Filled with stagy acting & corny dialogue that probably didn't help. It's good film but surprisingly revered.
½ October 6, 2013
Of course, even in 1939 this was viewed as racist (and banned in India) for its portrayal of a blood-thirsty Kali-worshipping cult by whites in brown body-paint (and all other Indians as subservient to the imperialist British occupiers). So, if you can set these problems aside (and that's a big "if"), then you'll find a perfectly rollicking adventure story starring Cary Grant (in a funny Cockney role), Victor McLaglen, and Doug Fairbanks Jr. Of course, it is a big of a macho affair but generally comic and light-hearted -- especially in the way that McLaglen and Grant don't want poor old Doug to get married and leave the army (and try a number of schemes to get him to stay). The setting (presumably California) is grand with huge mountains in the background and we see some major action set pieces (this is a war picture after all) and it is pretty apparent that Spielberg ripped off parts of the plot for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Gunga Din, the poor old water boy (played in by Sam Joffe), does save the day and becomes the centerpiece of a Kipling poem.
½ September 9, 2013
"Gunga Din" is one of the several epic and heartbreaking films of its time. Featuring a wonderful trio of leading actors, George Steven and Fred Guiol's adaption of Rudyard Kipling's poem hosts both high comedic and adventure qualities.
August 11, 2013
A fun, witty, adventurous, thrilling, old school film! Gunga Din stars, Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Sam Jaffe as Gunga Din. Okay! I know the title of this movie sounds kind of funny, but seriously this movie is really good. The title is the name of the supporting character Gunga Din, who's a man who wants to be a soldier, but in order to prove himself to the military he has to help rescue a soldier who has been captured. Sam Jaffe plays the role of Gunga Din really well, but the strange thing was that Sam Jaffe wasn't even the main character in the film. The main characters in this movie were the three soldiers who were played by Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. To be honest these three actors were the best in the movie, yes like I said Sam Jaffe did a great job, but these three actors were top notch. The three of them had great chemistry with each other and they all supplied great humor and great drama to the film. The entire first act of the movie is all about these three guys and honestly that's the best part of the film because you just love their interactions with each other and you love the great comedic lines some of these characters have, it's very funny. Also, Cary Grant was fantastic in this movie, I think everyone knows that I'm a huge Cary Grant fan, so there's no surprise that I thought he was the best in this movie. I think as a movie in general this movie really worked, I do think it's a bit dated at times, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. I would recommend this film to anyone who loves classic movies.
½ August 6, 2013
Interesting story about Indian colonization by the British, based on Kiplings poem. It was lighthearted with grant and co. Then fighting the forces of the heathen religion of Kali. But it was cheesy and melodramatic. I did smile a bit though.
July 11, 2013
My Favorite Adventure Film Is 1933's King Kong.