The Guns of Navarone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guns of Navarone Reviews

April 3, 2010
long time so see such old films, but it's great!
½ April 2, 2010
Very good WWII flick.
March 22, 2010
A superb adventure film.
March 8, 2010
One of the great war films of all time!
½ March 4, 2010
Gregory Peckin tahdittama leffa iskuryhmasta joka saa epatoivoisen tehtavan rajayttaa navaronen tykit. Hyva 2. maailmansota leffa
March 2, 2010
This classic war epic has an incredible well oiled cast to create a perfect commando machine. Gregory peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn shine as they undergo an impossible mission against all odds. 1961 Oscar for best special effects add to the war grit. Perception: The occupation of Greece during WWII is an undertold story in the war film genre.
½ February 22, 2010
Great story, though a little dated now. Some of the acting during scenes involving being shot/stabbed/blown up is almost funny...
February 15, 2010
quality old school war flick, with good performances from niven and peck (whom I'm not usually a huge fan of, but who was right for this role). nice supporting role from quayle in particular...
February 14, 2010
Determined to watch this movie after my father swore this was his favorite movie of all time, my opportunity to watch The Guns of Navarone finally came. Boy! Am I glad that I watched it. First, growing up with my dad being my dad I have an interest in World War II movies, especially the classics. Occasionally, I must ask my father what the piece of equipment destroyed was or ask who the commander that every one hated was. Other than those occasions I can follow the film very well and do find myself sinking into the story, the heat of war as it was perceived in the eyes of audience members alive at the time. And aren't they lucky to be the audience in such a high point in cinema history.
Gregory Peck, David Niven, and Anthony Quinn become a worthy trio for such a movie about teamwork. Although it is not a Dirty Dozen nor a Magnificent Seven, it doesn't even have a number in it's name, the Guns of Navarone takes the usual "perilous task that only selected criminals can fix" plot and focuses the time and attention to the journey in the plot. Usually, sitting in tension, sawing off our fingernails, the climax of every movie in this category revolves around whether or not every man will survive or how they get killed. In The Guns of Navarone, three men are killed off rather quickly (not that we care about them) and danger lies miles away from Peck and his friends. Be rest assured, you won't have to bite your nails as this movie comes to an end.
Don't turn away too quickly. Like I said, the journey across Navarone offers whatever excitement you long for, and even some laughs. Anthony Quinn is the comic artist in this movie as he tries to keep a straight face. You might very well turn off the TV confused if this movie was a War Drama or Comedy. This movie should be given any chance you have to offer.And while you are entertained know that you can also be enriched as this tale is based off a real story.
½ February 10, 2010
Fantastic movie from 1961
February 8, 2010
Really well done. Thoroughly entertaining classic
½ February 8, 2010
The Guns of Navarone is a 1961 film based on the 1957 novel of the same name about World War II by Scottish thriller writer Alistair MacLean. It stars Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn, along with Anthony Quayle and Stanley Baker. The book and the film share the same basic plot: the efforts of an Allied commando team to destroy a seemingly impregnable German fortress that threatens Allied naval ships in the Aegean Sea, and prevents 2,000 isolated British troops from being rescued.
January 31, 2010
A superior war movie from the days when studios mixed big-budgets, big stars, and technicolor to attempt to ease the angst of the Vietnam War by presenting audiences with the good old-fashioned black-and-white morality of World War II.

Captain Mallory (Gregory Peck) must lead a team of Allied saboteurs into occupied Greece to destroy a pair of state-of-the-art Nazi guns that threaten the Allies' access to the Mediterranean. Along the way, the team must fight the perils of nature, the Nazis, and a traitor in their midst to get the job done.

Well-done action sequences make this worth watching, but another rewrite and some tighter editing could have made it better.
January 30, 2010
One of the best, A thrilling war film with some of the best of the talent around.
January 29, 2010
Action-packed war thriller with a great cast and some great dialogue. Just felt like Dirty Dozen-lite. Kinda overlong and dragged during the big important speeches.
January 28, 2010
One of the impressive World War II film of all time!! Told the most entertaining background, "Escaping". I think this film is out of date if we compared with famous war film in modern era, but this one is classic, nothing can beat the classical. Classic is expensive!!
January 26, 2010
Saw this once, wasn't too impressed. But it has a good reputation, so I'll give it another shot.
January 14, 2010
Synopsis: During World War II, an Allied force finds themselves trapped on the Island of Kheros with a small channel the only way to evacuate.
Starring: Anthony Quayle, Anthony Quinn, Carl Foreman, David Niven, Gregory Peck
Directed by: J. Lee Thompson
½ January 12, 2010
very, very entertaining war movie
January 9, 2010
This epic war drama from 1961, starring Anthony Quinn, Gregory Peck and David Niven among others, is far more exciting than any action flick made today. They just don't make films like this anymore. Unfortunately.