Guzaarish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Guzaarish Reviews

½ March 2, 2012
typical bhansali but it gets cheesy after d interval.......but a dedicated performance from the cast
½ December 25, 2011
Awesome stuff this is from every aspect of it!
A touching story plus a brilliant act by Hrithik in combination with Sanjay Leela bhansali's trade-mark artistic backgrounds & cosmetics. Also not to forget, the top-class Music has added the icing on the cake. A Perfect Movie it is! \m/
November 27, 2011
If there's any movie ever made, which makes you emotional and lost in your own thoughts, and makes you cry truly from your heart, then THIS is that movie. Just, stunning! Wonderful ... superb cast ! One of the best, if not the BEST Hindi movie I have ever seen !
½ November 6, 2011
Great Performances...But the long run time makes this movie a difficult to sit through at times
November 5, 2011
An official remake of 'Whose Life Is It Anyway?', Guzaarish had an enormous scope of making the concept of euthanasia more known in this sub-continent than what it did. Despite having two superstars, the movie failed to satisfy me. The acting by both the protagonists (Hrithik Roshan & Aishwarya Rai) was too weak. Someone told me about this before I watched the movie, but I didn't believe him because its director is Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Unfortunately, what he told me turned out to be true. Specifically, Hrithik's portrayal of Ethan was too bad. His expressions were so lame that you don't care what happens to his character. You don't feel any sorrow/mercy for his pains & suffering. Besides bad performances, the script & screenplay too sucked. The film hardly had any interesting moment. I don't know how great an idea was to insert a song within every 10-15 minutes (approx.) interval, no matter how long or short they were. What should have consisted more of soul than substance was amateurishly reversed. And the substance wasn't so satisfying either. I felt as if the magical performances were made to look attractive by glittering the screen instead of going for better special effects. For most of the magic performances, the focus of the cameras would be taken too far from the respective characters. And of course, the cinematography was par excellence in those sequences.

If you intend to watch a movie with this kind of mood, my humble opinion would be to skip this one and instead go for 'Mar Adentro' or 'The Diving Bell & The Butterfly' (among others). They are far better than this avoidable movie. So the ball is in your court now; decide for yourself. Hope you'll take a wise decision.
½ October 31, 2011
The story was alright, i wouldn't consider it a true romantic film. Cinematography was absolutely beautiful though but that's expected in a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film. Good acting from Hrithik and Aish, special shout out to the dude who played Omar, he was good for his debut performance.
½ October 11, 2011
a beautiful moving piece of cinema. this movie as i thought just from the exact moment when first saw its trailer that its gonna be a brilliant movie and yes it is one of the very few best movies of the year. i will seriously congratulate Mr Sanjay Leela Bhansali for this outstanding cinematic achievement, he deserves every bit of praise. its one of his best beside Devdas and Black and ofcourse Khamoshi. i am not gonna compare it to them as this one have set up its own and unique place.

Hrithik Roshan is an outstanding actor we all now it, he proves it once again that he do 100% justice to every character he plays and this one, is one of his best ever. brilliant performance that i can,t even describe in my words. the emotions that changes so fast on his face and in his voice can easily be seen and the way he carried this role throughout the movie is an act of bravery. i think best performance this year after Shahrukh Khan in My Name Is Khan. on the other hand you see the excellent beauty Aishwarya Rai Bachan who yet again proves that she is not just a beautiful actress but a beautiful performer too. she was superb. other actors like Shernaz patel And Aditya Ro were superb too.

beautiful if not memorable but brilliant songs according to the mood of this movie. outstanding Art Direction, beautiful costumes. those magic trick scenes were brilliant too.

excellent direction no doubt, brilliant dialogues, use of english too as it is set in Goa. good screenplay. and i loved the humor in it too which the wonderful, joyful and full of life Mr Ethan Mascarenhas creates. the drama which is being created frame by frame is brilliant. a wonderful work of art, a simply masterpiece, don't miss it.
October 8, 2011
Massive tear-jerker. Hrithik Roshan, who is usually awful, is unusually decent here in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's hands. Cinematography is stunningly beautiful and songs are hauntingly good. Some scenes are hammy and over the top, but still a good flick. I enjoyed it because I had real low expectations from this movie and this flick surprised me...
October 3, 2011
Talk about a depressing movie! Have you ever been so fucking sad that you wanted to cry, but the tears would not fall? If not, you'll have that happen to you while watching this! The last ten or so minutes is when you will be giving your worst ugly cry, I guarantee. His flash backs are stunning, but pull on your heart strings at the same time. Before I started this I was thinking about how Cris Angel should watch this movie because not only would it knock some scene into him, but inspire him in his own career. yeah, yeah. I know. Those two are completely different things, but if you are familiar with him, you will get what I'm trying to say. The only problem that I had with this was that they would be speaking in English and then half way through a sentence, they would be speaking in Hindi. The subtitles would sometimes be different in English that what they where saying, too. It was very confusing at first, but I got used to it about half way through.
½ September 30, 2011
Deliberate inclusion of English Songs, deliberate inclusion of coats and suits everywhere (almost everyone wears suits and coats all the times!!!), deliberate inclusion of black, dark and plain dresses everywhere, deliberate inclusion of western styles, architecture and design everywhere, deliberate inclusion of making the actor as christian and inclusion of Christianity, deliberate avoidance of bright color dresses that Indians wear usually, deliberate avoidance of Indian arts and architectural designs, deliberate inclusion lots of dialogs in English (They even speak in English with maid!!) what else? Sanjay Leela Bhansali wanted to make the film as much westernize as possible. Does he wanted get applause from western media and western film critics? All the deliberate inclusion makes the film totally unrealistic. Non-Indian may not feel this, but as a Indian I see and feel all unnecessary deliberate inclusions. The screenplay is also not good, simply a flat story. The cinematography and art direction looks very good but its doesn't look realistic with all deliberate fake inclusions. I don't like this movie at all.
September 20, 2011
Very well made and acted...just not stupid enough to succeed in bollywood
½ September 18, 2011
Yes, it's controversy. But still, I. love. it.
August 16, 2011
"is one of those that will make you think - what would you give up magic or love?"
½ July 17, 2011
Over rated by many bollywood critics, this movie has nothing to offer than Tudor Style Architecture, Victorian Costumes, English Culture like Feel (eventhough an Indian Movie), not even the songs are good.
Director Sanjay Leela Bansali had made a film called 'Black' once.
Since then he seems to be less concerning about his work.
½ July 17, 2011
Its an unusual film..
on a whole movie is strictly for drama genre lovers

some wonderful scenes..to mention a few-
when raindrops falls on his face,the courtroom scene,the whole court ,the magic act that goes wrong

hrithik is brilliant
He finally proved that
one dont need their body or their dance or any other attractions to prove himself as a great actor. ust with that face, he did a brilliant performance.

aishwariya does justice to her role and looking beautiful

but the negatives acc to me were there wasnt a sympathetic feel shown in the dialogues ..and
few scenes like sometimes sometimes Ehan says he's been in the condition for 12 years and sometimes he says 14 years. This fundamental mistake shouldn't happen!
aishwarya and his husband relation is not properly described
The magics weren't that impressive.
radio shows also not described :-|
Ending is not good..
½ July 7, 2011
Absolutely Beautiful Film and performance by Hrithik Roshan. Each part of the movie carefully displays his emotional, mental and physical state as he goes from World class magician to a Quadriplegic with with and humor that makes everyone happy around him, even though he is sad deep down inside wanting liberation thru Euthanasia. Even though wheelchair bound, Hrithik brings out the depth of the character thru his voice and emotive eyes.
June 28, 2011
the most dramatiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...ic movie i ve eveeeeeeeeeer seeeeeeen :'(

this movie is made to be great ..
from the first 60 seconds, yo ll be absorbed by the story, the protagonists , the sorrow, the hope, the memory, the anger ,the betrayal .

And the more the story proceeds the more it surprises you in a way you 've never anticipated till the end. and the ending was neither a happy ending nor a tragic ending but more like happly tragic ending.
i ve to warn you .....if you ll watch Guzaarish u gonna need a recovering time after it if you ll ever recover from that movie.

"Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love deeply. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

"Life is very short, my friends. But it is long enough, if you live with all your heart. "
½ June 27, 2011
Striking production design, decent acting, intriguing story.
½ June 15, 2011
Visually stunning. Truly heartbreaking but profoundly moving.
½ June 14, 2011
The set design, costuming and cinematography alone were worth five stars. Clearly I need to learn more about the evolution of the Bollywood genre, as the only thing I can compare to is Bride and Prejudice, which was way more campy and innocuous in dialogue, lyrics and choreography. I loved that the movie was set in Goa, because it highlighted India's beautiful Portuguese heritage.