Gymkata - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gymkata Reviews

½ September 10, 2017
From the producer and director of Bruce Lee's seminal martial arts film "Enter the Dragon" comes this martial arts low-point that decided a deadly combination of gymnastics and karate was the formula for a brilliant new action film. US Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas travels to a mysterious fictional European country to complete in a deadly tournament that's a mix of Han's martial arts tournament in "Enter the Dragon" and the plot from "The Most Dangerous Game." Overall, this film is a mess, but it's so awful that's it's absolutely hilarious. The way Thomas manages to find high bars and pommel horses in the most unexpected of places is comic gold. Only watch this film for ironic camp value and look somewhere else if you want good fight sequences. Kung-fu film mainstay Richard Norton also appears as the lead henchman.
½ September 7, 2017
Gymkata is a disappointing film. It is about an American gymnast who travels to a foreign country to compete in a deadly game. Kurt Thomas and Richard Norton give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Robert Clouse did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ April 16, 2017
An Olympic gold medal gymnast is recruited by the CIA to sneak into a "-stan" in order to participate in a death race. The winner of the trek across dangerous terrain wins a favor of the local king, and the US wants to put in an early alert nuclear detection system near the Soviets. The gymnast falls for the princess who looks decidedly unlike the other residents of this "-stan", though that's explained away as her being half Indonesian (I guess her real ethnicity of Filipina wasn't exotic enough!). A great example of over-the-top 80's action film, with the final fight which takes place in a camp for the criminally insane being the greatest!
½ January 22, 2017
Super dumb. Very slow in parts but the action is ridiculous.
June 24, 2015
Top notch B movie. Run a deadly course with a crazy good acrobat. If your looking for good - look elsewhere. If your looking for awesomely bad - you've come to the right place.
June 13, 2015
This movie should really be four or five stars since it's a great terrible movie.
October 1, 2014
Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas plays a martial arts spy in an Eastern European country where parallel bars and pommel horses are part of the infrastructure. One of the 1980s most absurd films, referenced frequently on MST3K. Not for the comically impaired. .
September 9, 2014
maybe the greatest gymnastics/martial arts hybrid action movie of all time - I may just love it because of the village of the crazies
August 8, 2014
I Liked it Good action for an 80's movie i like Martial Arts Old School Style .
May 13, 2014
Possibly the dumbest movie I've ever seen, definitely one of the best bad movies ever made, Gymkata has the advantage of a large budget and semi-competent direction. It fails spectacularly at some of the WTF scenes it throws at the public and a desire to make the most out of its Olympic gymnast lead at every turn. This leads to things like spontaneous karate/gymnastics scenes (like the infamous pommel horse scene) and other stupid, contrived attempts to stick gymnastics into every scene. Also worth noting is the hilarious casting choices, possibly the most baffling this side of John Wayne as Gengis Khan.

Gymkata is a terrible, terrible movie. One that is definitely worth watching.
April 28, 2014
The title alone spikes some inevitable curiosity. Such a cheesy ass title, and the fact they made an Olympic gymnast an action hero was something so absurd that I had to see to believe. To be honest, the concept of a dangerous game and a gymnast fighter sounds rather kick ass in a stupid but fun way, but the execution here speaks otherwise. I'm sure Kurt Thomas is a nice guy in reality and he's got mad gymnast skills, but his acting here is stiff and the action is awfully redundant and his repetitive moves grow stale quickly. You suddenly realize how bad the idea of an Olympic star in a movie is when you watch this! There are some good laughs to be had though, from the strange editing transitions to the awful pacing of story and a handful of other things to pick at for your pleasure, and one particular sequence in a town full of crazies is so bizarre and strange you have to see it. For a marathon of bad 80's flicks, Gymkata is a must! For general viewing though, avoid it, its a terribly mediocre sleeper for an action flick.
December 8, 2013
A karate gymnist enters a death tournament in a country that the united states wants to put a satelite in. Yeah Gymkato is pretty ridiculous.
November 16, 2013
One of the worst action movies ever.
Probably worth seeing because of it.
Don't forget to listen to the How Did This Get Made podcast about it though!

1985 -- the same year as Back To The Future, and a comparably high budget. Yet it looks like the lowest budget movie you've ever seen. This is classic "chop-socky" (more like schlocky) with the same tired plot as Enter The Dragon and so forth (and same director, but way worse...everything.)

(oh Richard Norton, you gave me hope but this movie is...nope.)
½ November 14, 2013
I used to think this was an awesome movie, when I was eleven. Watching it now it is really bad, yet I still like the concept, gymnast turned martial artist, but the movie itself is awful with insanely bad acting, a plot that makes hardly any sense and laughable action, but the eleven year old in still liked it.
October 14, 2013
Late entry into "Enter The Dragon" director Bob Clouse's kung fu canon. Absolute balderdash of course, but this was one of the first films I ever saw drunk. It was on late-night TV and I convinced myself so much of its brilliance I spent ages trying to track it down on VHS. Lessons to be learned, Rosco Bear.
Another fact: blonde-mulleted lead Kurt Thomas received a Razzie for "Worst New Star" for his efforts in this gumph. Good shout.
September 26, 2013
Utter garbage. It's like if Enter the Dragon was directed by Tommy Wiseau. However, since Gymtaka and Enter the Dragon were both directed by the same person, it's most like this movie was made after he had suffered several strokes.
August 31, 2013
Bonkers Fellini fever dream in the middle asides, this is a piece of crap.
August 27, 2013
This was Kurt Thomas' unofficial Olympic Gold Medal...or a flaming bag of dog crap. I really can't decide. GYMKATA!!!
½ August 21, 2013
Somewhere between "so bad it's bad" and "so bad it's good." This is what listening to "How Did This Get Made?" gets me.
March 15, 2013
This movie is so awful that it's awesome. The sheer ridiculousness of the costumes, dialogue, and action scenes will have you giggling like a school girl. Unintentionally this cinematic turd is funnier than most comedies. Grab some of your friends (not the boring ones), some boozes or whatever you're into and enjoy.