The Gymnast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gymnast Reviews

½ October 28, 2015
Better than I expected. A slow start, but well-played, well-acted, and though there were a few hackneyed moments from the lead actor's old friend in the film, overall a masterpiece of quiet, ambient drama.
December 22, 2014
This film tackles the subjects of loss, personal struggle and transformation in such a smart, artful, sensitive, and visually stunning way that I was completely transported. It is a rare gem of a film in the way it honors beauty and women. You'll have to see for yourself. Dreya Weber (Jane) masterfully portrays the subtleties of a remarkable if not somewhat broken personality, in a way that every woman will relate to. I found the honesty of the emotional interactions among characters to be very refreshing and profoundly engaging.

There was nothing in this film that said to me "low budget" as far as quality is concerned. Nothing. The fact that it is a low-budget film is a tribute to the film's creators. The final sequence during the credits will also knock your socks off. It is a brilliant celebration of Jane's choice. Unexpected and inspiring.
March 28, 2013
Found this movie intriguing, fun, and real... decisions are not made ever so flippantly...
½ March 13, 2013
Only downfall was the end.. I did not like the way it was ended.. but, the rest of the movie was beautiful and the silk work was fantastic.
½ December 9, 2012
Entertaining, different, not too sterotypical and not exploitative. I enjoyed the movie though the ending is a bit bizarre.
Wasnt expecting to like the movie since the plot wasnt what I normally would watch, but was surprised(though it did seem to paint "men" in a bad light)
November 4, 2012
For a clearly low budget indi film, The Gymnast had surprisingly good cinematography, writing, and story design. Portions of the film were cheesy and poorly acted, but as a whole this was very well put together, captivating film. I would definitely recommend it

Also there are some boobs :) !
November 4, 2012

Also there are some boobs :) !
September 19, 2012
there are some parts that are good but there are some parts that are quite boring. and the story's ending is kinda predictable.
September 9, 2012
This movie is as good as how much production and casting was in it. Bland and cheap was the outcome. What a waste of time. It was an easy delete from my computer.
½ July 11, 2012
Cute film that's well written and entertaining. A bit lacking in chemistry.
June 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this one very good storyline some of the dialogue could have gotten a bit tweaked but the acting was solid moved at a good pace.
April 28, 2012
A great drama that includes an ex-gymnast in her forties that takes up aerial silks.
January 24, 2012
put off watching this cos it had all that gymnastics going on, but whoa the aerial acrobatics were eye-popping. dreya weber's body too, instantly makes you feel like a tub of lard (hell, that woman can't be human.) very commendable effort, and had surprisingly hilarious moments too. bravo.
½ June 25, 2011
Yet another real film. Gritty, quirky
April 16, 2011
I was curious to see who was the writer and director for this movie which turns out to be a young man (Ned Farr). He may have tried to do a good job with this film but it failed to interest me and there is a noticeable generational gap between both actresses (a 43 year old and a 28 year old) which adds to the character's shallowness, also lacks chemistry between the leads and relies too much on the amazing aerial acts. I give it two stars mainly for the aerial acts and the incredible Malibu home shots- what a dream home!! We have a woman who used to be a famous gymnast named Jane (Dreya Weber) whose career ends as a result of an injury. She becomes a massage therapist trapped in a pointless existance with her husband who does not want to have children despite her desire to have one. She takes anti-depressants and one day she starts work on an aerial act with another gymnast where she starts to develop an attraction for this person. The story unfolds from there...There is more style than substance on this one so I am neutral about it but I honestly did not like it.
December 6, 2010
not really bad , middle age crises from another point of view
November 22, 2010
Great movie, well worth it for the story even if the beginning is a bit slow to start, the silk dancing was amazing and the leading ladies were both gorgeous.
½ May 10, 2010
It was an Ok chick flick. The charater developement was weak and I didn't get sucked into it.
½ November 19, 2009
A lot of familiar female-empowerment tropes are livened up by some great acrobatic routines. this is DIY filmmaking with more style than substance, relying on the considerable gifts of the leads to do aerial routines with some sacrifices made in the acting department. chick-flick efforts at humor mostly fall flat until a great end credits sequence.
½ October 10, 2009
This one surprised the hell out of me. Beautifully made, with very high production values for its budget, amazingly well acted, and very strongly written. The plot and characterisation are both complex and richly emotional, and the relationship(s) between the leads are believeably real and affecting. Just about every element worked for me here. Brutally underrated and underappreciated.