Hacking Democracy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hacking Democracy Reviews

½ October 4, 2016
Just one more of the reasons why we are getting screwed over in this country. There is free speech to present this information to us. What do we do about it? The corrupt powers that be hope we do nothing.
½ June 8, 2016
A must watch. Very informative. Took off a half star only because of a bit of cheesy production.
½ July 14, 2014
I am too computer-literate to know if this documentary succeeds in encouraging people less so to care about this important topic, but I hope so.
January 4, 2013
This is hugely important to see. It'll change anyone's opinion on American democracy. This should be considered a companion piece to "Unprecedented" because both of them will shock anyone.

I like documentaries to have a little more panache, but that's a personal thing.
August 16, 2011
A good Doc worth watching
½ June 1, 2011
If you care about your freedoms and the right to vote, you NEED to watch this film.
December 18, 2010
The problem for both party incumbents when they steal the elections IS that if you just add votes to your candidate then the total vote count will be defacto proof of tampering...thus the system has a disk that makes it accessible to the 'overseerers' in each county...problem IS the incumbents of BOTH parties today serve themselves and not anyone else...so what they do is ADD NEGATIVE VOTES...EQUAL to the number of votes they give their candidate...thus the total vote count will be undisturbed and correlate directly with REAL vote count. The ballotting does not begin at 0-0 it begins at say -400 to 400 in a county with average turnout of 2000 people. What happened was that an error was made in entering the negative vote count...so that instead of beginning with -400 to 400...it was -4000 to 400...and in a county with only 2000 voters turning out their is a NEGATIVE result that IS the telltale sign of gaming the diebold machines.
October 13, 2010
A crudely made but powerful non-partisan document of the failings of our current election process. As frightening as any horror film, but a thousand times more real. We aren't in control of this country any more, fellow citizens, and from the looks of things we haven't been in control for quite some time.
September 8, 2010
- Vote often and vote for the winner.
June 12, 2010
An imperative film for understanding the corrosive relationship between public and private interests. This film is no fluke; and it's unfortunate we cannot say the same about our "democracy."
½ January 15, 2010
Well fuck this is fairly alarming stuff here. Glad I don't live in America.
½ November 30, 2009
Excellent documentary, if you vote you should watch this! If you don't vote, whats wrong with you?
½ July 18, 2009
This is disturbing. If you have an interest in politics, or in software testing, or in computer security, or you didn't vote for Bush - you need to see this film.

Three words. ELECTION SOFTWARE FAIL.
June 23, 2009
such a great documenter movie
June 10, 2009
an amazing documentary in the sense that it just tells the story of what some people did when trying to find out if there vote was being counted correctly. I would say watch this film just before you go and vote and see what goes through your mind. it's also a nice reminder that people liar and remember that when someone tells you something that they claim is the truth no matter who they are.
½ March 19, 2009
This film ignores political parties and ideology about who should be in charge and who has the "answers" in favor of backing up one more step to ask the question: Is the method in which we vote secure and accurate? The answer is both easy (no it isn't) and complicated (neither of the two major parties are going to change it). Depending on how much you care about how your country is run, this documentary will scare the shit out of you.
½ February 23, 2009
The box for this movie declares that, if you're already worried about the efficacy and reliability (okay, it doesn't use those words) of voting machines, this will scare you. Which, yeah, true. But is bragging on the box that it's preaching to the choir really going to draw that many people in? Isn't it equally valid to say, "This movie provides valuable information that you should know about before you make up your mind"? How about trying to convince those who don't already agree with you? Isn't that a valuable thing to do in such an important argument? It seems to be what the film is actually trying to do, and I think it makes some pretty persuasive arguments, more on which anon. I think it's valuable watching for anyone who thinks the will of the electorate is important, which ought to be everybody. It isn't, of course.

There is a growing trend in the US toward electronic voting machines. The question this movie raises is how reliable those machines are. Now, I've never trusted them on principle; I like the actual paper ballot that leaves an actual paper trail. However, it turns out that my instincts about them are correct. Whether it's faulty design, faulty software, or outright hacking, it seems that the machines have this pesky tendency of recording votes for one candidate as being for another one. Indeed, there have been incidences of [i]negative[/i] tallies. The film shows how easy it is to hack the system and that most of the documentation that would show the accuracy of the machine is actually thrown out, literally, in some locations.

Of course, Diebold, which makes the machines, claims that the film is full of faulty information and that one of the hacks actually demonstrated in the movie is "a complete sham." However, scientists at UC Berkeley, in a report conducted for the California Secretary of State, showed that the hack can, in fact, be done without much difficulty. It is at bare minimum worrisome. Showing that it can be done is not, as I have stated repeatedly in other places, evidence that it has been done. This is true. However, since the company refuses to acknowledge that the problem exists, it seems logical to assume that they're not really putting out any effort to fix it. At bare minimum, it's disingenuous of them. At bare minimum, they do not have a full awareness of their own product. Even if we're only looking at the bare minimum, that should be enough to prevent trust of the system.

Investigators Bev Harris and Kathleen Wynne obviously encounter much resistance in their search. They have papers which allow them to search election results in Volusia County, Florida. Elections officials try to prevent them from performing their search, and the women find the paper strips which document the machine's results in the trash the day after the election. (Ordinances require that the strips be kept for a minimum of 22 months.) They are told that the strips they find are blank, but of course they are not. And it's not just in Volusia County, either; they find irregularities with the systems in other places around the US. Their "dumpster diving" outside certification sites brings up alarming information.

I'm certainly not trying to say that there are no flaws in the system of paper ballots. Ye Gods, I remember the 2000 election--though apparently, some of the problems there came from voting machines that were recording negative tallies for Al Gore, so tehre's that. However, the electronic system seems to me to be almost fatally flawed. It's too easy to alter the software. The machines have to be treated properly in order to work, and if enough machines go down in certain places, that can effectively disenfranchise entire precincts. True, there have been incidents of not having enough paper ballots, but it doesn't take a trained technician to fix that problem--and you don't have to worry about how much you trust that technician.
January 8, 2009
We can thank the Hampshire library for having a nice selection of movies. This is a documentary about how our votes are counted by computer during elections. The hypothesis is that the computers can be rigged and the votes can be changed very easily. I think they made their point.
½ November 8, 2008
I read this book armed madhouse which covers some of the corrupt things that went down on election day but this focuses on one majorly scary company. It really just negates the whole election process and can put it in the hands of one corrupt party or one person and that fact is INSANE! I am glad they made this into a film because it will reach more people this way. I highly recommend.
October 27, 2008