Haepi-endeu (Happy End) Reviews

• Jul 12, 2013

This is a classic love triangle story. The story held my interest. But, the story is not well thought out. There are story threads that are inconsistent with the overall theme. All three lead characters are pretty good. The disaffection between the husband and wife was not fully explained. There was never any intimacy between them nor addressing why there was not any. They were just presented as a married couple. The infant child was OK. But, the child could have been more sympathetic or helpful if the kid had been more animated and/or cute. Korean dramas tend to involve violence. And, the violence tends to be gruesome. This movie follows that pattern.

• Aug 06, 2012

an undercurrent of sinister intentions crept up on me... why wasn't i surprised?

• Feb 24, 2011

Packendes, dramatisches und unfassbar intensives koreanisches Drama mit einer interessanten Geschichte und verdammt guten Darstellern. Super! gute 3,5/5

• Mar 11, 2010

good murder, hot erotic scene

good murder, hot erotic scene

• Feb 20, 2010

Korean version of "Little Children".

Korean version of "Little Children".

• Dec 16, 2009

I'm not sure how well this transitioned into a bloodthirsty thriller - it probably would have been more interesting, and more consistent, if it had gone the "mindbending" route. Something more like Gaslight, or a French movie? I'm not sure. I thought it was interesting, although I had problems with it. It's genuinely disturbing, I will give it that.

• Aug 23, 2009

A somewhat gritty exploration on the extent jealously can devoid man of his sensibilities and how the passion for lost love could lead to very dangerous liaisons. *Warning: Spoiler ahead!* I particularly was disturbed with the part where she (Do-yeon Jeon) tried to drug her baby to sleep in order to attend to his distressed old flame.

• Mar 19, 2009

no, not that kind. Do-Yeon Jeon also stars in the more recent Secret Sunshine, for which she won an award in Cannes. She is that good.

• Dec 10, 2008

unemployed husband and a wife who cheating with x-boyfriend, then... END UP with TRAGIC...

• Nov 01, 2008

From the first wave of the new Korean wave, Happy End could now well be considered a classic of that era. Features the combined and extraordinary talents of Choi Min-sik and Jeon Do-yeon, both who later went on to have major breakthroughs in the years to come. Thematically and stylistically a very good representation of the period: slow paced action, down to earth imagery, the somewhat edgy sexual content and last but not least, the sudden, unexpected bursts of violence. Sadly, Western audiences and critics seemed only to pick up on the latter, which is a shame since Happy End, and several subsequent movies from South Korea, actually boldly discusses important cultural and social issues. More specifically, Happy End one some level can be said to deal with traditional gender roles and the division of labour within a conservative and biased society. But, since Chung Ji-woo knows his Hitchcock well, Happy End also plays well as an ordinary thriller. A true reminder of what once was so good with Korean cinema.