Half Baked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Half Baked Reviews

November 24, 2015
I think when you look up the definition of a dumb movie, this is the first film that would come up. And I don't even mean that in a derisive manner, but it's a film that features not particularly smart or bright characters acting being put in silly situations. But it's dumb by design, the film absolutely has no pretensions or delusions of greatness. I don't think this film ever pretended to be the second coming of Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Life of Brian (also a Python film). I think once people come to terms with that then they'll have an easier time enjoying this. Honestly, I can't believe I waited so long to watch this movie. Not that I thought it was great or anything, but there's so many times I've seen this playing on TV and I never once really sat down and just watched it. Though, to be fair, I'm sure this movie would be shown in heavily edited form and I don't think that's any way to watch a film. But I was also well aware of the film's cult following and yet I was never inclined to sit down and watch it, until last night of course. And, as the score would imply, I definitely had a good time watching this. I'm not even a person who smokes weed, though I could see myself trying it, so I can imagine that I'd probably enjoy it more if I was high while watching it. Then again, you can say that about a lot of films, but this seems like the only one where it seems like a requirement. Still, I found a lot to like about this movie. It's very intentionally goofy and the film benefits from that, because it isn't afraid to just throw whatever out there to see what sticks and what doesn't. Because of that, however, that means that the film isn't really as consistent as it could have been. That's probably the only thing that holds the film back, honestly. It's clearly not a film that is high art, but it's a film that definitely has its place in the stoner comedy lexicon. The film has some memorable characters, like Sir Smoke-a-lot, who only, sadly, appears in a couple of scenes. The cast is solid, they play their roles well, particularly Jim Breuer, but this guy always looks high as fuck, so I don't know how much of his acting was his character and how it was written or how he regularly is. There's a couple of cameos by very famous weed smokers like Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg, so I thought those were fun, and, of course, Tommy Chong, though he plays a more 'important' character to the narrative, as he's the one that keeps Kenny from getting sodomized in jail. And you can't have a movie about weed without Tommy Chong. I digress, long story short, this movie is a fun time. I realize that film criticism means looking at every movie as if they're on the same level, but you can't go into this movie if your favorite movie is Satantango. You will hate this profusely. But I thought it was a good time for while it lasted and I'd recommend it as a Netflix watch or if you can get the DVD for like $5. Fun stuff.
November 17, 2015
Occasional laughs can't distract the viewer from its lazy plot and random moments of ridiculousness that Davis uses to end nearly ever scene.
½ August 1, 2015
here's where reviewers reveal what snobs they are. i don't care what anyone says this movie is funny and that is rarely accomplished by most so called comedies such as "spy" and especially anything by adam sandler.
½ May 31, 2015
this movie is so bad , it's good , Man !
May 26, 2015
Nice to see an old-school comedy again which, for better and for worse, fully embraces its stupidity right the way through. It could conceivably be interpreted as a one-note stoner comedy....actually let's be honest it is, but if you're a pothead or a Dave Chappelle fan then you're bound to find at least some parts of this hilarious. Luckily I am a member of one of these categories.
May 14, 2015
Breuer and Chappelle are funny as hell together and my only complaint is why not more of these two.
April 26, 2015
You don't need to be half-baked to enjoy this goofy stoner comedy led by funny man Dave Chappelle.
February 10, 2015
Very funny. Any pothead would agree.
January 6, 2015
I enjoyed seeing this again recently even more than when I first saw it in the early days of its original release. Dave Chappelle gets the most laughs in this one. The jokes and parodies about marijuana are hilarious and over the top. Jim Breuer is a comic genius overlord. Harland Williams is always funny. Tommy Chong is funny. I had a great time watching this again. Stoners will love this.
December 25, 2014
This is a really smart funny movie and I never really paid it any attention. My only gripe is it never gets too heavy, probably because the audience for it is stoners and they don't want to freak anyone out. Also the character Mary Jane is underdeveloped but I can kind of forgive it because she's the straight character. Really good despite it's low rating.
September 7, 2013
I really like stoner movies, even though i don't smokdeganj often.
½ August 9, 2007
In reality the only things of value in this film are a rare look at pre-Chappelle Show Dave and the always welcome appearance from Harland Williams. Everything else is probably only enjoyable to the stoners who've made this a cult classic.
April 14, 2008
Completely insane and not really heavy on plot, character development, or special effects (there's a talking blunt at the end of the film), it is without thought, a thoughtless movie. But a fun, good time and great movie to kick back and watch with whatever stoner friends you like. Mindless entertainment for a while, but at least it's funny.
½ July 15, 2014
Expected more
July 18, 2012
One of the best stoner comedies made.
June 6, 2014
You don't have to be a pothead to appreciate this movie, just a fan of Dave Chappelle. The humor is obviously stupid, but that is to be expected and the talented actors make it work most of the time. Don't go searching some complex storyline with this film, the plot is simply something to hang the jokes on. But, again, that shouldn't be unexpected either.
May 30, 2014
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ March 31, 2014
Even for a dumb comedy, this was really, really dumb. Dave Chappelle is occasionally funny but this movie is too dumbed down to be anything special.
½ February 22, 2014
best stoner movie to date.
½ February 14, 2010
Stay clear of this stink bomb. I had checked my brain at the door knowing full well that it was going to be a stoner comedy, but I wasn't expecting something so foul. It's a poorly made movie that fails to ever really be funny. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)