Half-Life Reviews

• Apr 12, 2019

A poetic movie about the incomprehensible world of adults seen through the eyes of a child An original movie about a mother trying to maintain her family whole while escaping loneliness A creative movie about how the environment/context affects our lives An ambitious movie ... with too many facets to chew. Furthermore, its estranged dialogues and backgroundless personages keep us at a distance

• Aug 18, 2014

Enigmatic, slow-moving.

Enigmatic, slow-moving.

• Jun 11, 2012

I don't understand nothing !!! So bad !!!

I don't understand nothing !!! So bad !!!

• Jun 02, 2012

Appreciated this artistic independent film of an apocalyptic scenario. Narrated with intelligence and depth through visual layers and tonal variations that span fantasy and real human drama. Thoughtful casting.

• Jun 26, 2010

Hopeless... a waste of time...

Hopeless... a waste of time...

• Jun 01, 2010

Let's play a game of Cosmic Whack-a-Mole! Every time a character appears, strike it on the head so it delivers lines from a concussed state where it is so confused that banal lines take on some sort of meaning. I found very few credible performances here. As I joke, it seemed like every performer had a concussion. Everything appealing about the movie had nothing to do with the plot. The backdrop of global disasters delivered through various media. A visually appealing anime style that was a welcome distraction from drudge. Every good shot that I saw was one without any character in it. Yet I see a lot of critical gushing over another film fest baby. To me it's another example of how desperate we are as a viewing public for anything truly artistic that somebody can easily push buttons and make them all agog. Fundamentalist cardboard cutout parents in denial with a gay son. His lover, a teacher, that gets fired for being gay. An apathetic young lady and her dissociative brother who are troubled by a parental breakup. The frustrated mother and her lover. All of them flat and two dimensional at best. What is the point? Find hope despite a looming apocalypse? Where? In fractured relationships? Apathy? Flights of fantasy? The flip side of a half-life is half-dead. If I was forced to endure more "brilliant" cinema like this as a routine I would also hope for the Sun to explode and kill us all.

• May 20, 2010

Very imaginative and well shot indie flick. The acting is also top notch and while the story lags just a few times I feel this is very good entertainment. This film also boasts top notch social commentary about war, global warming, treatment of gays, and our socio-economic climate after the recession.

• Apr 20, 2010

un beau film, lent certes, mais ambitieux et ça reste cohérent. Bons acteurs

un beau film, lent certes, mais ambitieux et ça reste cohérent. Bons acteurs

• Apr 10, 2010

absolutely underrated. one of the best American indies I've seen in my life. I don't know what they call it, surreal or post modern or whatever the hell you want. but it was a masterpiece. the only con was the characters, especially mom's boyfriend. but imagination scenes were exactly the pictures that sould be seen with a GY!BE track.

• Mar 18, 2010

A promising debut project from a new filmmaker. Though slow paced but beautifully filmed and very poetic.