Hallettsville - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hallettsville Reviews

August 1, 2013
This movie sucks I live in Hallettsville Tx and really thats the best that could of been done Gary Busey . You casted a bunch of well awful actors who might I say suck .This movie should be burned .
June 25, 2012
I only watched this for Busey but to be fair it was actually a pretty good film, it was really well done I thought. The story was pretty cool and plausible, the demon thing looked cool and although we didn't see it often which added to it as we had to use our imagination more it was alright. The suspense was all there too, it just kinda lost itself at the end and the last 20 minutes were a bit rushed and slapped together. Still not bad and yes, Busey is still nuts.
½ January 18, 2010
Fuck..... just......fuck.
½ December 8, 2009
1) I directed this movie.
2) I didn't actually write it.

That being said, I don't know what to rate it obviously because I'm too close to it. Good for indie horror but not original seems like a good fit.

I'm only doing this review in hopes people will watch it. The producers sold it short so I think it's only available at Netflix and Hollywood video and most smaller stores.
Thanks for watching if you so chose.
September 5, 2009
I'm happy that Busy is on diet, but this film goes nowhere
May 14, 2009
The story wasn't worth much, the acting wasn't very convincing either, it suffers from most horror cliché's, and the music (though originally used) was tiring. The funniest thing was the running ability of some characters. They should go pro doing that, instead of wasting (my) time in this flick.
May 2, 2009
When Tyler Jensen and a group of his friends decide to spent one more fun filled weekend in the old ranch home of his late grandmother before its sold he didnt expect what he finds inside all of sudden each of his friends start dieing one by one and now Tyler must find a way to stop the evil from killing and save himself and his girlfriend from almost certain death. That pretty much sums up this waste of time of a movie that started off really well which is why the 2 stars but falls very hard very fast as the acting just turns really cheesy and Gary Busey didnt help matters with the way he plays the hard ass town sheriff watch at your risk.
½ April 13, 2009
Omg - this film was shite......the acting wasnt too bad at times, but the script was poor, the characters lacked feeling....and the ending was just confusing.......not one to watch.....
½ April 12, 2009
It's rare to find a film where I can't think of a single thing I liked about it... but I found it here in Hallettsville.

Maybe it's the fact that the actors are also the writers, producers, executive producers - it all feels very like some friends got together and made it themselves. Hats off to them for trying but it just doesn't work. They may have been strapped for cash but if you can't act, you need to hire actors, there is no getting around that.

The film opens with a flashback to 1901 where a class full of young school children are slaughtered by their teacher. The film then jumps to present day.

As happens so often in American films, Tyler's grandmother happens to have a holiday home in the middle of the country, just standing around empty so he decides to go for the weekend with his friends. His mother tries to dissuade him because her brother died there when she was young but they go anyway. They have a run in with local law enforcement who don't like strangers so you know they are going to make an appearance again later.

Back at the house, a couple of them start seeing ghostly figures and them some of them start dying mysteriously - for us, as well as the others. We see people fine one minute, blood pumping out of them the next, with no explanation. They go down to the cellar looking for weapons and find a journal which we later find contains demon worshipping spells. There are some random occurrences of people being attacked by ghosts and a demon but it doesn't make any sense. The demon was raised to heal the school teacher and needs blood sacrifices which was why the children were killed at the start but it never explains who raised it this time or why it still needs blood sacrifices. It also needs to kill the firstborn in every generation, which explains why it's after Tyler but no one else.

The only famous name in this is Gary Busey, and on the strength of this film, it's liable to stay that way for some time. The story is confusing and can't decide if it's a ghost story or a demon story, the acting ranges from awful to OK at best and literally the last ten minutes of the film is shots of scenery set to music until the last 30 seconds when it cuts to a baby in a cot (the new firstborn) and then the credits roll.

If you don't like seeing children killed, you won't like it. If you like a plot that makes some kind of sense, you won't like it. If you need actors to be able to act a little, you won't like it. If you like a bit of sex or nudity with your horror, you won't like it. In fact, I really can't recommend this I'm afraid, it has nothing to redeem it at all.
April 11, 2009
Ok this movie was good. Not a great wonderful movie but it was not bad. It is a horror so there is some blood involved but it is not that bad. I liked the storyline.
April 10, 2009
The gore was okay, but otherwise boring. Not long ago since I watched it and can´t remember much of it already...
April 3, 2009
Started really well, good acting and good build up to the plot. Got a little lame after the first 30 minutes or so.
½ April 2, 2009
[font=Times New Roman][size=4]2009 US Director: Andrew Pozza[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]Score: 5[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4] I?ll give Director Pozza credit for trying. Rather than rely on lots of gore effects and such he tried to set up atmosphere to chill and thrill viewers. The problem for me is the clich make up of the characters as well as the elements that are meant to create chilling atmosphere, well, don?t. Hey I admit, maybe being a fan of horror films since my ?tween? years in the 70s has made me hard to please, but this one just didn?t make it. The characters are the same ones I have seen in the same situation of many, many, MANY horror films. The group of young people contains all the standard and typical personality types that tend to get trapped by what ever evil force or killer often traps groups of young people in a remote cabin. None of it was really original.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4] So, with the plot being one that any horror fan has seen plenty of times before we can hope that at least the other elements of the film will make it worth while to watch. But they really don?t. The SFX are not bad, but are also not more than average. The acting is on par for average work too. The soundtrack? You guessed it. Average. So, for my part anyway, a plot that has been (dare I pun it?) done to death (I couldn?t resist) and everything else in the film being just average, there isn?t much reason to bother with it.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4] [/size][/font]

[font='Times New Roman'][size=4]Notes: HL-GV-HN-SA Suggested Age: 13+[/size][/font]
March 26, 2009
a well made, perfect horror movie
½ March 22, 2009
a very typical horror movie with average acting and storyline.... a wee-bit too gory at times, but in all, just a decent pop-corn movie and timekiller....
½ March 21, 2009
okay so this film was a bit of a bore, i did watch it to the end and was dissappointed, i didnt really understand how it ended?? and it was all very redictable and has the same story line as millions of films out there..
½ March 20, 2009
I didn't mind watching it. I thought it was going to be better than it was, but it wasn't a total lost. 3/7
½ March 17, 2009