Halloween III - Season of the Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween III - Season of the Witch Reviews

½ May 24, 2017
Not real bad! Just so far away from the first 2.
½ May 15, 2017
Not as bad as it's made out to be, but still wish it hadn't been made due to the success behind Michael Myers
May 13, 2017
Despite this probably being a controversial opinion, this is probably my favorite in the series. Despite the other films in the series, which are all boring slasher films with plot points we've seen before (which believe me, doesn't bother me a lot. I am a fan of this series, as well as the genre in general) this one is so off-the-rails, you're never going to forget it. If you're a hardcore fan of the series, and was disappointed watching it before, give it another chance. You may find it to be an enjoyable experience
April 29, 2017
John Carptenter's frequent collaborator Tommy Lee Wallace wrote and directed this non-Michel Meyers Halloween sequel that's more of an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" type of story than slasher film. Carpenter regular Tom Atkins plays a man investigating a mysterious Halloween costume company run by evil scientist Dan O'Herlihy. The film does have a bit slower of pace than I'd have liked, but I did like the creepy company town vibe that's nicely oppressive. This was the last film that involved producers John Carpenter and Debra Hill, who also did uncredited rewrites. Carpenter and Alan Howarth provided the film's score, so this film still feels consistent with the first two films, even if the story is a drastic departure. Although fans did not like this film at the time of it's release and it had poor box office, I've always liked this oddball entry into the Halloween series and wish there might have been further non-Michel Meyer Halloween films by Carpenter and company.
½ April 4, 2017
The third film in the franchise misses the three elements that it needs to be successful: Laurie Strode, Dr. Loomis, and Michael Myers. All are missing from this one. The plot is week, feeling more like a rejected episode of "The Twilight Zone". More Sci/Fi than Horror this one never gets off the ground.
March 14, 2017
It's great they tried something new but it's just plain bad.
March 4, 2017
A perfectly enjoyable, albeit unfocused, standalone horror romp. The biggest mistake the filmmakers made was naming it Halloween III.
February 20, 2017
Change the name to SEASON OF THE WITCH. Good Movie when your not expecting Michael Myers to be in it.....
February 14, 2017
O único filme que eu não assisti, e o único que merece 0/5 apenas por ser um caça níquel 100%sem vergonha. Halloween sem Michael Myers é uma afronta a qualquer pessoa.
January 16, 2017
No No No If This Film Doesn't Show Myers This Film Is Nothing! I did Understand The story that there are killer masks ?? Killing Kids But still I don't like this movie I really don't!!!
½ January 15, 2017
Definitely not a great movie but still enjoyable. At least it was unique! 2.5 stars.
½ January 4, 2017
Strangely, though this movie has no place in the Halloween franchise, it's not so bad as a standalone. Unfortunately, just about every time you think the film is encroaching on 3-stars-plus territory, something goofy manages to remind you that as much as this movie toes the average line, it rarely makes sense. Combine that with average acting, an average score, and one hell of an ending (pun intended), and what you get overall is a very solidly average movie. Still, I can think of worse ways to spend a couple hours (coughTransformers2007cough). Perhaps if it hadn't been promoted as a franchise movie, it might have gotten the attention it probably deserved.
½ January 1, 2017
Even though it had no connection to the Halloween series at all. It had a fantastic amounts of twists and thrills.
December 1, 2016
A mediocre movie that feels more like an episode of an anthology series stretched for 98 minutes (with shades of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and even James Bond), and it takes too long to gain momentum and move into high gear to make us care about its stupid plot.
½ November 20, 2016
Halloween III is a good horror film in itself, but has nothing to do with the first two, nor any of the subsequent Halloween films in the franchise, so it shouldn't have been released as part of it. I believe the film's star, Tom Atkins, has said so, too. That being said, even without Michael Myers or the haunting 5/4-time Halloween theme, this one stands on its own merits.

A madman, who owns a company called Silver Shamrock Novelties, that makes (seemingly only three) Halloween masks, wants to, for whatever reason, destroy all the kids in the world ....or at least those who can get their parents to buy them a Silver Shamrock masks. At 9:00 PM on Halloween night, the kids are told to be at their televisions, wearing their (one of only three) Silver Shamrock masks, and get ready for the "big giveaway." What they will get instead is a (probably literal) splitting headache and lots of creepy crawleys coming from their cranial orifices. An interesting footnote here is that Silver Shamrock is in the fictional town of Santa Mira, California, a popular fictional town that has provided the setting for quite a few notable horror and sci-fi films over the years.

Tom Atkins is great as Dr. Challis, the physician who was on duty the night the first causality of the story is brought in to the hospital. He becomes the film's hero, setting out to get to the bottom of the bizarre murder. Of course, it first takes a little prompting from the film's heroine and daughter of the murdered man, played by the lovely Stacey Nelkin. Stacey has a real Pat Benatar thing going on (who was very musically relevant in 1982), so no more is needed to say as to why I give her high marks in this one. (You also might want to check out Stacey as the girl dancing with Mick Jagger's coat in Bette Midler's "Beast of Burden" music video.) Dan O'Herlihy as Conal Cochran, the madman behind Silver Shamrock Novelties, is superb. His soothing graciousness almost completely masks his underlying insanity. Near the end of the film, Mr. Cochran gives his reasoning for his evil scheme to a captive Dr. Challis, but it's far too vague to give the viewer any sort of "ah, so that's why" revelation. The rest of the cast are top notch in their performances. The only nods to the first two Halloween movies here are Nancy Loomis (who went from the role of a teenager to a 30-something mom in a span of just four years) in a small role as Dr. Challis' wife and the (uncredited) voice of Jamie Lee Curtis as the Santa Mira curfew announcer and telephone operator.

If you've purchased all the Halloweens DVDs in the franchise and want to see them all in order, skip this one and view it afterwards. Halloween III is good, but it just has nothing to do with the rest of the Halloween films. Besides Mr. Cochran's cryptic explanation as to why he wants to destroy all the kids who'll put on one of his company's (only three) masks on Halloween night, the only other thing that will make you scratch your had about this one will be ....why a company of that size and technological capability makes ONLY THREE masks. (My review is also at Amazon)
November 4, 2016
Okay on it's own, but a terrible black sheep in my favorite film series.
November 4, 2016
This is one of the worst films that I've ever watched multiple times.
½ November 2, 2016
People really hate this movie, but I think it's fun and a far more interesting direction that the Halloween franchise could have gone. Tom Atkins is a nice, unlikely hero and he carries the film admirably. The music score is perfection and sets the mood beautifully along with Dean Cundey's stunning atmospheric photography. Give it a shot. You might like it.
½ November 1, 2016
This movie was really bad, but it could have been a lot worse than it already was. It had an ok mystery and a few good scenes, but other than that the movie sucked.
October 31, 2016
I love this movie! It diverges from the rest of the Halloween movies and supports it at the same time. The idea of Mask making company targeting kids on Halloween is just creepy and terrifying and how they did - has depth and wonderful special effects that still hold up. The suspense is intense as the final minutes of this film come to a close. I saw this moons ago and saw how poor the rating is and it is so much better than this - it is simply misunderstood.