Halloween III - Season of the Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween III - Season of the Witch Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
Definitely not a great movie but still enjoyable. At least it was unique! 2.5 stars.
½ January 4, 2017
Strangely, though this movie has no place in the Halloween franchise, it's not so bad as a standalone. Unfortunately, just about every time you think the film is encroaching on 3-stars-plus territory, something goofy manages to remind you that as much as this movie toes the average line, it rarely makes sense. Combine that with average acting, an average score, and one hell of an ending (pun intended), and what you get overall is a very solidly average movie. Still, I can think of worse ways to spend a couple hours (coughTransformers2007cough). Perhaps if it hadn't been promoted as a franchise movie, it might have gotten the attention it probably deserved.
½ January 1, 2017
Even though it had no connection to the Halloween series at all. It had a fantastic amounts of twists and thrills.
December 1, 2016
A mediocre movie that feels more like an episode of an anthology series stretched for 98 minutes (with shades of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and even James Bond), and it takes too long to gain momentum and move into high gear to make us care about its stupid plot.
½ November 20, 2016
Halloween III is a good horror film in itself, but has nothing to do with the first two, nor any of the subsequent Halloween films in the franchise, so it shouldn't have been released as part of it. I believe the film's star, Tom Atkins, has said so, too. That being said, even without Michael Myers or the haunting 5/4-time Halloween theme, this one stands on its own merits.

A madman, who owns a company called Silver Shamrock Novelties, that makes (seemingly only three) Halloween masks, wants to, for whatever reason, destroy all the kids in the world ....or at least those who can get their parents to buy them a Silver Shamrock masks. At 9:00 PM on Halloween night, the kids are told to be at their televisions, wearing their (one of only three) Silver Shamrock masks, and get ready for the "big giveaway." What they will get instead is a (probably literal) splitting headache and lots of creepy crawleys coming from their cranial orifices. An interesting footnote here is that Silver Shamrock is in the fictional town of Santa Mira, California, a popular fictional town that has provided the setting for quite a few notable horror and sci-fi films over the years.

Tom Atkins is great as Dr. Challis, the physician who was on duty the night the first causality of the story is brought in to the hospital. He becomes the film's hero, setting out to get to the bottom of the bizarre murder. Of course, it first takes a little prompting from the film's heroine and daughter of the murdered man, played by the lovely Stacey Nelkin. Stacey has a real Pat Benatar thing going on (who was very musically relevant in 1982), so no more is needed to say as to why I give her high marks in this one. (You also might want to check out Stacey as the girl dancing with Mick Jagger's coat in Bette Midler's "Beast of Burden" music video.) Dan O'Herlihy as Conal Cochran, the madman behind Silver Shamrock Novelties, is superb. His soothing graciousness almost completely masks his underlying insanity. Near the end of the film, Mr. Cochran gives his reasoning for his evil scheme to a captive Dr. Challis, but it's far too vague to give the viewer any sort of "ah, so that's why" revelation. The rest of the cast are top notch in their performances. The only nods to the first two Halloween movies here are Nancy Loomis (who went from the role of a teenager to a 30-something mom in a span of just four years) in a small role as Dr. Challis' wife and the (uncredited) voice of Jamie Lee Curtis as the Santa Mira curfew announcer and telephone operator.

If you've purchased all the Halloweens DVDs in the franchise and want to see them all in order, skip this one and view it afterwards. Halloween III is good, but it just has nothing to do with the rest of the Halloween films. Besides Mr. Cochran's cryptic explanation as to why he wants to destroy all the kids who'll put on one of his company's (only three) masks on Halloween night, the only other thing that will make you scratch your had about this one will be ....why a company of that size and technological capability makes ONLY THREE masks. (My review is also at Amazon)
November 4, 2016
Okay on it's own, but a terrible black sheep in my favorite film series.
November 4, 2016
This is one of the worst films that I've ever watched multiple times.
½ November 2, 2016
People really hate this movie, but I think it's fun and a far more interesting direction that the Halloween franchise could have gone. Tom Atkins is a nice, unlikely hero and he carries the film admirably. The music score is perfection and sets the mood beautifully along with Dean Cundey's stunning atmospheric photography. Give it a shot. You might like it.
½ November 1, 2016
This movie was really bad, but it could have been a lot worse than it already was. It had an ok mystery and a few good scenes, but other than that the movie sucked.
October 31, 2016
I love this movie! It diverges from the rest of the Halloween movies and supports it at the same time. The idea of Mask making company targeting kids on Halloween is just creepy and terrifying and how they did - has depth and wonderful special effects that still hold up. The suspense is intense as the final minutes of this film come to a close. I saw this moons ago and saw how poor the rating is and it is so much better than this - it is simply misunderstood.
October 31, 2016
I know people aren't a fan of this film, but it did have an original idea. It seemed like they wanted to set up an anthology series, but that obviously didn't go as planned.
October 28, 2016
It really isn't that bad, feels like an episode of The Twilight Zone. Everyone does a good job, the plot is interesting, and it has little bits of Carpenter's DNA sprinkled in. They just should've named it anything but Halloween 3.
October 26, 2016
141130: I think the most important fact to relay about this movie, is that Michael Myers is not in it. This is not a bad film, it just doesn't have anything to do with the series. I find it odd that someone would choose to take such a route with the third instalment of this series but what's done is done. Anyway, some fun to be had. Couple neat deaths, Ellie (Nelkin) looking good in her black lingerie and spooky men in black...ok, grey. Took me back.
October 22, 2016
Why did John carpenter make this movie I guess it's some what entertaining but so cheesy and bad!
October 22, 2016
It's a guilty pleasure to say the least.
½ October 18, 2016
This film gets unfair criticism. I get where they were trying to do, I really do. If this film was just called Season of the Witch, I think it would have been better received. It's not terrible as a stand alone movie. It's produced well, itsw shot well, it has its own aura about it. It's a fun little film as a stand alone film, don't judge it on a Michael Myers stand point, cuz you'll be dissapointed as so many are and were. I like the open ending as well. Did it get turned off? Or did it end in disaster? I think it got turned off. I have seen a hell of a lot worse.
½ October 16, 2016
Not only is Halloween III- The Season of the Witch a terrible movie, it has nothing do with Michael Myers or the franchise all together.
October 14, 2016
Underappreciated and misunderstood. Cult classic. Love this film
½ October 9, 2016
Entertaining horror film that, while not a real "Halloween" movie (i.e. no Michael Myers). Reportedly, the original plan for the "Halloween" franchise was for each entry to be an original story not related to the other, but once "Halloween II" directly followed the first one due to the popularity of Michael Myers, that plan went out the window. Thus, when "III" went back to the original plan with a new story, it naturally ticked off fans, leading to original backlash against it. Granted, the film isn't perfect. The plot is nonsensical, involving everything from robots to witchcraft to Stone Henge. Plus, it doesn't make sense a doctor would drop everything to help a complete stranger investigate the death of her father (though, when played by the gorgeous Stacy Nelkin, it kind of makes sense). Nevertheless, the cast is game with Tom Atkins always fun in a horror movie while Dan O'Herlihy brings nice menace as Cochran. The eventual plan is pretty horrific and when demonstrated, will make you think twice about putting on a mask ever again. Plus, that jingle alone is pretty creepy. Overall, a fun horror film for the Halloween season, if not a part of the actual franchise.
September 20, 2016
one of the most UNDERRATED genre films of all time!