Halloween III - Season of the Witch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween III - Season of the Witch Reviews

October 22, 2016
It's a guilty pleasure to say the least.
½ October 18, 2016
This film gets unfair criticism. I get where they were trying to do, I really do. If this film was just called Season of the Witch, I think it would have been better received. It's not terrible as a stand alone movie. It's produced well, itsw shot well, it has its own aura about it. It's a fun little film as a stand alone film, don't judge it on a Michael Myers stand point, cuz you'll be dissapointed as so many are and were. I like the open ending as well. Did it get turned off? Or did it end in disaster? I think it got turned off. I have seen a hell of a lot worse.
½ October 16, 2016
Not only is Halloween III- The Season of the Witch a terrible movie, it has nothing do with Michael Myers or the franchise all together.
October 14, 2016
Underappreciated and misunderstood. Cult classic. Love this film
½ October 9, 2016
Entertaining horror film that, while not a real "Halloween" movie (i.e. no Michael Myers). Reportedly, the original plan for the "Halloween" franchise was for each entry to be an original story not related to the other, but once "Halloween II" directly followed the first one due to the popularity of Michael Myers, that plan went out the window. Thus, when "III" went back to the original plan with a new story, it naturally ticked off fans, leading to original backlash against it. Granted, the film isn't perfect. The plot is nonsensical, involving everything from robots to witchcraft to Stone Henge. Plus, it doesn't make sense a doctor would drop everything to help a complete stranger investigate the death of her father (though, when played by the gorgeous Stacy Nelkin, it kind of makes sense). Nevertheless, the cast is game with Tom Atkins always fun in a horror movie while Dan O'Herlihy brings nice menace as Cochran. The eventual plan is pretty horrific and when demonstrated, will make you think twice about putting on a mask ever again. Plus, that jingle alone is pretty creepy. Overall, a fun horror film for the Halloween season, if not a part of the actual franchise.
September 20, 2016
one of the most UNDERRATED genre films of all time!
½ September 14, 2016
I am furious at this movie. it's such uninspired rubbish I've no idea why there's a handful of fans of this. Apart from the design of the masks this is a drawn out and dull affair with boring ass characters doing everything in the most boring ass way. There's no visual flair to this movie and the director ought to look at this piece of drivel and question just what the hell they were doing wasting away on this awful film. The story is fairly lame BUT with a tongue in cheek approach, with some glee and wit and even dare I say it PASSION? this could have been something fun and memorable. This is just so goddamn serious for what it is and it's fucking tedious. I am seething! What a freaking waste.
September 3, 2016
It shouldn't be named Halloween.
August 15, 2016
Basically The Stuff meets Troll 2, but for my money not quite as entertaining as either. Apart from Dan O'Herlihy, the actors (robot and otherwise) do nothing but stare into space the whole time, sucking the energy outta the scenes. There's some fun crap, and the whole plot is colossally goofy, but moment-to-moment it's kinda boring.
½ July 18, 2016
Despite its lack of relevance to the preceding Halloween films, the cult status around Halloween III: Season of the Witch made me curious enough to check it out.

It is said that Halloween III: Season of the Witch would find its audience if it didn't have a title synonymous with the story of serial killer Michael Myers. Though I wasn't necessarily amazed by the film, I can certainly believe it. Halloween III: Season of the Witch is a very 80's horror film which combines elements of witchcraft and small aspects of science fiction into its oddball horror premise that evokes feelings of Lovecraftian horror. One must understand Lovecraftian horror to appreciate the film because it is a subgenre of horror which needs tenacious focus to execute. And while Halloween III: Season of the Witch doesn't necessarily push the boundaries on reality too much, the elements of witchcraft and motivations of the villains push into this territory. It's the kind of premise which will captivate some viewers just as easily as it isolates others, and for me I can see both sides to it.
Halloween III: Season of the Witch is clearly a low-budget production. Maintaining the same level of finance given to Halloween II (1981), Halloween III: Season of the Witch ends up with similar production values. Since Halloween III: Season of the Witch is more premise-oriented, the budgetary limitations hold back how much of the story can be explored and so the scale of the film is very small. However, it also means that the creativity of the film rests more in the writing than the spending. Tommy Lee Wallace takes the opportunity to explore his own vision of Halloween horror and creates a premise which ties into the holiday with more relevance than the preceding films. The central themes in Halloween III: Season of the Witch are the satanic roots of the Holiday and how contemporary America has smothered that beneath consumerism and materialism. Audiences are frequently reminded of this by the use of the advertisement for the Silver Shamrock Novelty company being played out repeatedly throughout the film. It's a key part of the story due to its dominant presence depicting extensive reach that the corporation has over America, though it does get annoying within the story. Nevertheless, there is a greater presence of social commentary in Halloween III: Season of the Witch than in the first two Halloween films. And as the film goes on and audiences learn more and more of this through discovering the motives and tactics of the film's antagonists, the various plot twists really keep audiences guessing. Keeping with its Lovecraftian nature, Halloween III: Season of the Witch is definitely no predictable film which is refreshing after the heavily formulaic nature of Halloween II.
Halloween III: Season of the Witch has nothing to do with the story established in its predecessors. In fact, it goes in such a completely different direction that it has no chance of attempting to mimic the Michael Myers story. However, there is still a very John Carpenter feeling to the film. There are many aspects of Halloween III: Season of the Witch that are familiar to the director's Lovecraftian horror film In the Mouth of Madness (1995). Both offer stories that keep twisting in various directions as the protagonists search for an answer to the evil in the narrative world, and both experiences have a creepy feeling to them. Tommy Lee Wallace is a long-time close collaborator of John Carpenter's, and so the fact that he retains the John Carpenter spirit in the one Halloween film that steps away from the Michael Myers story is very admirable. However, while Halloween III: Season of the Witch lacks the convoluted nature of In the Mouth of Madness, the underbelly of the film's mystery doesn't set in until deep into the film. As a result, there is a lot of waiting around for things to get good as prophecies of supposed evil seep their way into the narrative. This means that viewers have to face a slow pace and a lot of generic dialogue while the story slowly develops. Some of the narrative hooks implemented to keep viewers interested work better than others; the clear references to Psycho (1960) are stylish attributes while the romantic subplot is so meaningless in its presence that it almost seems to be a joke. Either way the point is that Halloween III: Season of the Witch doesn't offer much enticing horror in the mystery until it starts answering it. It's mostly just thinly-sketched characters investigating things with sporadic death scenes. Most of the deaths in Halloween III: Season of the Witch are executed with style with a few exceptions, but given that the film prefers to focus on its story it is a shame that the tale doesn't always hold up with its entertainment value.
As far as Tommy Lee Wallace's role as a director goes, his debut is a fairly solid one. Given that he was extensively involved in the writing process, the fact that he brings the film to life with such twisted results is a sign of real ambition for the man. His story is one which offers a climax that can prove too ridiculous for some, but fans of Lovecraftian horror should hopefully embrace the material. The man also diverts the budget well because the scenery for the film gives a perfect feeling of isolation from the outside world. And though the cinematography doesn't experiment with many things, it captures the imagery of the film well enough. The cast in Halloween III: Season of the Witch also work to bring out a solid effort.
Tom Atkins makes a strong leading effort. Dr. Dan Challis is a simple everyman dragged into a complicated situation, and Tom Atkins captures this part with a genuine sense of confusion that suggests even he does not know what is coming next. The lack of characterization in the script is no problem for him because he brings humanity to the role and makes a likable lead in the process. The highlight of his performance comes from the end of the film when he comes to learn the mysteries behind what he has been investigating and fights to prevent it from happening. This is where Tom Atkins raises the tension in his performance and empowers the climax, epitomizing his dramatic potential. Tom Atkins leads Halloween III: Season of the Witch with instinctual skill.
Stacey Nelkin similarly captures an everyman feeling with her performance. With the appearance of a typically 80's girl, Stacey Nelkin captures the mood of the film by constantly remaining in a state of confusion and fear. She doesn't go overboard with this, she simply conveys reluctance to get in too deep with the story. And as it goes on, we see her progressively growing stronger as a character with restrained tension in her spirit. Stacey Nelkin makes a compelling duo with Tom Atkins, and even though their romantic chemistry seems a little too cheesy for the film they still make a good pair during moments of greater dramatic capacity.
Dan O'Herlihy also makes a charming presence. The man's eloquent articulation of his words gives him a convincing facade, but the way that he diverts it into the passionate yet restrained sadism makes him a cleverly manipulative antagonist. Dan O'Herlihy is an effectively charming presence without predictability.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch is a slow horror film which doesn't consistently carry entertainment value until the mystery begins to resolve, but the story eventually develops into cleverly twisted John Carpenter-style homage to H.P. Lovecraft.
½ July 18, 2016
All I can say is I love this movie as much as the two previous films. For not having Michael Myers in it they did a great job at keeping the suspense. The only thing not so good is that the film turns more into a Sci-Fi movie toward the end, but besides that everything is great.
July 15, 2016
It's not one of the best but it's definitely not the worst. Tommy Lee Wallace is terrific.
July 15, 2016
Even though this movie is not like the oringal it still is ausome because it's an original story about masks that kill people without the blood and gore
½ July 10, 2016
After many years of truly hating this third installment of what was supposed to be an anthology, I do appreciate Halloween 3 as being somewhat original. Sure the story is something you would see out of a horror themed TV show, but it does have some chilling moments with an alright cast of actors.
½ July 9, 2016
Halloween 3 begins with promise but becomes a boring movie with no scares and a bad ending. I give the film makers credit for trying something new, but sadly it is one of the worst installments in the film franchise.
July 2, 2016
Don't understand this instalment one bit, and why it was completely changed to omit Michael Myers from the storyline, I will never know. It's a complete contrast to any of the others we've seen and not really for the better either. There's no reference to him whatsoever, and instead it's all about a secret factory that hides microchips inside masks so that when a television commercial activates them, the bearer suffers some form of curse that plagues them with bugs and snakes. Then then either die or turn into some form of possessed android. Don't get me wrong, some of the scenes in this are still horrific but are so far apart from the classic storyline that we know. For that reason alone, it will probably be the one instalment we all remember, but not for the quality of the production itself. It is nowhere near as scary as the others, loses all suspense, and on the whole, is not as sinister or gory. It feels more like an extreme Star Trek episode and does have a very irritating theme tune that sticks in your head for some time - even the characters in it get irritated by hearing it. I'm certainly glad I've seen it, and although I knew it omitted the famous star, I wasn't expecting the concept to go off the beaten track by such a degree. It's basically an independent film in its own right, made more famous by its link to this franchise. Had it been a stand alone movie, I fear we wouldn't have even come across it except in some second hand underground DVD store.
½ June 27, 2016
Nothing to do with Michael! And that blasted jingle, that won't leave your head! UGH!!! WTH was this made?
½ June 21, 2016
Similar theme, music, setting to first few halloweens. Robots and stone Henge killing all those who wear masks. Better than I thought
June 4, 2016
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch remains the least sentimental installment for fans of the series due to the absence of Michael Myers, however it succeeds mostly in its own right because it offers something different, exploring new territory within the holiday's eeriness with eye-popping special effects.
½ June 3, 2016
Tries to do something different but fails