Reviews

• Aug 11, 2021

A cheap Powerpoint Presentation which "forgot" the Important Parts of the Book. (because it would have cost Money to produce it)

• Mar 31, 2021

Being a longtime Halo fan, this was kind of depressing. The animation was terrible, the beginning and ending was kind of confusing as it tried to connect to Halo 5, and it seemed like it missed a good portion of the novel it was based on. Missed opportunity here. Only redeeming quality was overall story

• Sep 03, 2020

For starters, I love Halo. I don't love whatever the theme was in this crapshow. The animation sucks, most characters are unlikable, and the storytelling is boring.

• Jul 04, 2020

It's a very solid adaptation of the fall of reach novel. You'll never see an absolutely perfect line for line adaptation of ANY series. This is an amazing job and is very well done. Honestly would love to see more of the books get turned into little mini-series like this.

• Mar 28, 2020

Ugly and stiff animation mixed with a overstuffed and overserious plot make for one of the most bland and lifeless iterations of the beloved franchise to date. It's a plodding and dull bit of backstory to a game that was already backstory that only the most devout of fan will find all that interesting. The drab and monotone voice-overs dont do this thing any favors either.

• Dec 05, 2019

It was just bad. It looked nice until anyone spoke or moved but the movements were unnatural and awkward at best. The character models were just outright off-putting. Master Chief was made too look like a tool or a bag from Summer's eve. Just awful.

• Dec 29, 2017

Just had the dvd version. Surprised witth the artwork of the cover, and the artworks and visuals of the intire film as well. A few choices of voices don't fit very well with the characters and situations. Must watch if you're a Halo fan.

• Nov 24, 2017

Halo: Fall of Reach is a cookie-cutter installment in the Halo series. The animation is stilted and below standard. And the plot is formulaic.

• Jul 12, 2017

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of the Halo game series and of Nylundy's books. That said... The Bad: The one-dimensional characters don't make it 'hard' to get into it, they make it impossible. There isn't just a lack of moral judgement on the on kidnapping, experimentation and murder of children, there's just redundant affirmation of the Spartan project's morality the few times they discuss the quandary before the Covenant were ever even a threat. We see zero reaction from the the 'wheat' children (as Halsey calls the children who survived the initial traning). Instead we are shown digital paintings of the various dead 'chaff' children, as a Halsey voice-over muses that it was better to get this stuff out of the way early on. John (Master Chief) doesn't show a lick of emotion until 35 minutes into the movie after a third of his lil homies are killed in the augmentation process. What about the other fucking kids when you were six, John? How'd you feel about them? We don't know! He seems to be pretty cool with all this. He just accepts his role. We don't know anything about this kid's personality or struggles for the first half of the movie except that he likes kicking other little kid's asses with slow motion Spartan kicks on the playground (a bullshit scene, as I will explain later). Then after not eating dinner one time because he screwed over his squad during an obstacle course, he learns the value of loyalty and then FINALLY the film has something to ponder because John must now grapple with when exactly he is supposed to kick everyone's ass and also LOYALTY. Not to worry, John, because your instructors are kidnapping child slavers who torture and kill you and your buds from the get go so they don't really have a right to judge! And neither does the audience apparently because the whole idea is supported as blindly as if the events of the Halo series had already vindicated the crimes of the SPARTAN II project. The film's lack of reflection in this matter is also evident through watering down of the violence of the actual book. For example, in the book John was first found by Halsey in the middle of a rock fight in a ghetto, not playing king of hill on a play set like in this film. In the film the kids save the rock fight for knocking out a few soldiers during training, whereas in the book the children murder the shit out of those guys. Children are trained and encouraged to kill people, and even rewarded for doing so unexpectedly. Their first live fire mission was as twelve year olds, but they chicken out of explicitly dealing with the child soldier aspect by portraying them adult-sized. The whole thing feels like it's marketing to the age group I was when I first started playing Halo: 7 and up. I would've loved it then, but as an adult I cant take this adaptation seriously. ALSO: the animation is TERRIBLE. The image resolution looks like an in-game-engine cinematic from 5 years ago! The character movements look worse than the animations from the original halo game. There are frames where animated characters are walking through digital paintings where the extras are painted too, standing like statues as the out-of-place duo passes by. There are many, many contemporary animated works out there with VASTLY better art direction. Go watch Gantz on Netflix for pete's sake, this Reach adaptation was a Rush. Job. This was an hour long marketing/exposition dump that does absolutely zero justice to the book and is not good enough to stand on its own. Why is the ship AI explaining what a MAC gun is before they fire it? It's for kids! This whole thing is for kids. So it's no wonder a bunch of adults feel like their time was wasted and a bunch of kids are upset that all these adults are ragging on their favorite fake animated-film. Thats right I call it fake. It doesn't deserve to be called a film because it was a giant advertisement. At best it was a bastardization of a perfectly good novel. Nylundy was given 7 weeks to write this book. How long do you think these guys worked on writing and blocking the adaptation?

• Jul 11, 2017

Great movie to have a laugh, the plot is broken, the animation looks like it was made in 2007, the characters are unlikable (all of them), did i mention the plot is broken? NOTHING makes sense, if this is the plot of the game i'm certainly not gonna play any of those soon.