Hamlet 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hamlet 2 Reviews

September 3, 2016
Coogan really cracks me up in this. It starts out fairly bland and then we get a musical sequel to Shakespeare's tradegy and it is comedy gold. Songs such as 'Rock Me Sexy Jesus' and 'Raped in the Face' nearly killed me.
½ August 25, 2016
Ridiculous, over-the-top fun that's crude and not all that funny, but fully embraces its absurdity with such gleeful spirit that you can't quite help enjoying the kind of people who do find this funny.
½ August 19, 2016
This movie is a near perfect comedy.
It is hilarious and Steve Coogan has never been better.
Even Catherine Keener is very funny in her small role.
Elisabeth Shue is great as Elisabeth Shue, which is nice to see actors be skewered a little bit and make jokes at their own expense.
I wish they would show the entire play on the dvd because it looks hilarious.
Great cast.
½ April 18, 2016
After I read multiple websites say this was one of the funniest films of the last decade I, of course, had to check it out. It does have its moments - I laughed out loud a few times. However, the story is pretty much one big cliche (on purpose?) and I found the "offensive" songs not that offensive (try getting "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" out of your head, though). I've always liked Steve Coogan and he's pretty good here. He just doesn't have much to work with. Catherine Keener is wasted. Elisabeth Shue is humorous playing herself as a Hollywood drop-out. So, see it on a lazy afternoon when you have absolutely nothing better to do. You'll laugh, but you may also take three days to get through it like I did. 5/10.
December 27, 2015
Nowhere near as funny or clever as it thinks it is. I was legitimately surprised by just how amateurish this was. I've liked Steve Coogan films in the past, and I like many of those involved, but it was clear that the entire premise of the movie was based on the (perceived) strength of its headliner, "Rock Me (THE REVIEWS SECTION ACTUALLY CENSORS THIS WORD!) Jesus," which wasn't good enough to build an entire feature around. Every single joke bombs, even when it comes from veterans like Amy Poehler. The play is actually pretty good allegory for the entire movie: it may seem fascinating from the onset, but in actuality, it's a painfully unfunny mess.
June 27, 2015

Hamlet 2 is a comedy from one of the people behind comedies such as Team America and South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut. Now it doesn't quite reach the heights that those two movies get to but nevertheless it doesn't fail to bring laughs and even just a little heart. Led by a strange casting choice, this small time kind of movie reminds me of a somewhat cult movie, that maybe in years to come or even already, is one.

Now the strange casting choice is Steve Coogan who although is known for his comedy, just doesn't feel like a natural choice, but he does make his performance different. He really goes for the crazy, tries to hit the spot and kind of does, if only just scraping it. He makes the story fun, but the only things that hold this back from being any better is the writing, directing and even at times, Coogan.

Now making a sequel to Hamlet in a comedy is a sure way to make it crude and hilarious, now although I didn't think this was hysterical, it has it's moments and is very crude. The writing can at times feel a little too lazy, it feels as if the writing team of Pam Brady and Andrew Fleming(also the director) fill in gaps with crude jokes where they can't think of anything good. Overall the movie plays a long nicely though and the directing is OK, to be fair the writing is too in most parts and I found the final scenes of the movie especially funny.

A lot of credit has to go to the young cast who really give it a good go at playing teens who come together to make a play, now it may sound like a plot seen before and it is, but the emotion is pretty deep at times and certain actors know what there doing. I found the good mix of characters to play to this movies strengths, the supposed gang members mixed with the most drama loving students ever makes for good jokes and some good one two's at times.

The movie is short, at 92 minutes this plays out nicely and doesn't overstep itself, that said it also can at times cram too much in and not explain but I'll overlook that in favour of the comedy. The little things are what makes this movie just about kind of OK(and I mean that, this is nearing just being average). The score is one thing that makes this good to watch, it isn't ever present but the odd bit of music here and there including some of the funny songs they sing make this movie come alive.

Overall I have to repeat, this is near average and only escapes because of the humour and slight emotion which together create a kind of nice movie. Would I watch this again, well the answer is maybe, it is funny no doubt but for a second time this might not get the laughs it does first time around, so don't expect this to stick with you forever if you watch it. Last thing to say is about Coogan, he is hilarious at times and some of his other work is fantastic, now this won't go down in that list but he sure can be proud of making his character a different one, and not afraid to mix insane comedy with a little bit of pure drama.
½ May 11, 2015
I actually purchased this movie in a hotel room. I was so bored that I decided, what the hell, might as well watch something that might be funny. It ended up being just the kind of stupid humor I love. Plenty of hilarious jokes and gut busting parts to the movie, I honestly couldn't stop laughing. I felt a six pack coming on, my ribs were aching, and tears came out of my eyes. This movie isn't the best, but it does it's job well, making you laugh. Also, Rock Me Sexy Jesus is one heck of a catchy tune!
½ March 15, 2015
"Hamlet 2" was probably better in theory than it was in execution, but it is still a funny parody of the tired "inspirational teacher" genre.
March 10, 2015
it's ok, but the best thing about this film is the play itself.
½ February 5, 2015
Steve Coogan kills it... as usual. Hamlet 2 is absolutely one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long while. It loses points for a couple of try-too-hard musical numbers and some stale supporting players, but overall... Hamlet 2 is hilarious.
½ August 29, 2014
Has a handful of laughs; Coogan is ace as a high school drama prof; the Elizabeth Shue segments could've used more comedy I think.
July 24, 2014
Hilariously stupid and extremely over-the-top. My opinion is definitely biased to favor this one.
July 16, 2014
"Rock me sexy Jesus". The story is about a high school teacher tries to turn his drama class into a new play that is based off the Shakespearian Hamlet. As a failed actor his depression turns to happiness with the potential success of his play that he must hide from the administration. Comedy. Steve Coogan's Character in the film reminds me of jack blacks character in the school of rock, What I mean about that is Coongan's and jacks character both failed at what they loved doing so there had to fight for the dream as hard as they can to make it happen. The movie had good funny jokes and the song musical "Rock my sexy Jesus" was stuck in my head.
½ July 15, 2014
Only sporadically laugh out loud funny, this is still Coogan's best American film to date, veering just on the right (wrong) side of offensive to be worth 90 minutes of your time
July 14, 2014
wow.....fantastic.....brilliant....amazing....i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that steve coogan (from the brilliant tv series alan partidge), catherine keener, david arquette, marshall bell, melonie diaz, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.......i think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........i think that Elisabeth Shue as herself, was brilliant throughout this movie as her cameo thorughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie.....its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie its such a really funny movie 2 watch......i think that catherine keener was fantastic throughout this movie i think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch its such a really funny movie 2 watch.......i think that steve coogan was brilliant throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast thorughout this movie......its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie its such a really entertaining movie 2 watch as its such a really funny movie 2 watch.......
June 11, 2014
"Mango iced tea is my Kryptonite". It's not perfect but it's by far one of the funniest movies I've seen in the past 10 years. Steve Coogan is amazing.
May 9, 2014
This is a fun movie set in a city I love.
½ May 8, 2014
"Rock me. Rock me sexy Jesus..." The irreverent indie comedy Hamlet 2 delivers some good laughs, but is uneven and lacks focus. The story follows a high school drama teacher who writes a musical sequel to Shakespeare's Hamlet, but the controversy it creates soon puts the production in jeopardy. Starring Steve Coogan, Elisabeth Shue, Catherine Keener, and Amy Poehler, the film has a strong cast. But the script is weak, and does little to endure the audience to the characters or the play. Additionally, the comedy gets kind of raunchy at times and seems to be done only for shock value. Hamlet 2 is a problematic film that has some fun moments, but in the end it's too much of a mess.
April 29, 2014
Hilarious, self-deprecating, and blatantly offensive, Hamlet 2 will have some fuming in rage and others rolling on the floor in laughter... I was the latter.
½ April 20, 2014
Probably the worst thing I've seen since Transformers 3.