Hammer Reviews

• Mar 31, 2018

fred made SOOO many movies back in the 70s. none of them were especially good. in this one he plays a boxer. its a solid movie but nothing to shout about

• Feb 06, 2015

Directed by Bruce Clark (The Ski Bum (1971) and Galaxy of Terror (1981)), and written by Charles Eric Johnson (Slaughter's Big Rip-Off (1973) and The Monkey Hu$tle (1976)). This blaxploitation films struck a chord with audiences upon release, with the theme of the underdog taking on corruption and the mob. The success of the film briefly made a star out of Fred Williamson, who became known as The Hammer later on. B.J. Hammer (Williamson) is a dockworker and boxer who has been able to get successful thanks to help from the Mafia, but Hammer doesn't know that. His trainer Professor (Mel Stewart) does know that, and things get dangerous when mob hoods Big Sid (Charles Lampkin) and Brenner (William Smith), tell Hammer to take a dive during the next fight. Hammer refuses, as he doesn't want to lose. Hammer calls upon Private Detective Davis (Bernie Hamilton) to help out, but Davis won't listen to Hammer's pleas. Then when Hammer's girlfriend Lois (Vonetta McGee) ends up being kidnapped by the mob, Hammer uses his boxing skills to take on the mob. It's crossed somewhere between On The Waterfront (1954) and The Harder They Fall (1956), with a little bit of what was to come in the Rocky films. But it's compelling enough, and it's the sort of thing you'd expect from a blaxploitation film, cheap but gritty.

• Apr 19, 2013

Solid boxing themed blaxsploitation movie staring Fred Williamson that came out right at the start of the major exploitation boom in the early 70s. The story and characters were decent enough but the movie kinda felt like it was missing something towards the end. Its fairly predictable but in a good way, because its the same old boxing type movie where the underdog gets big then the big boss man wants him to throw the fight. All in all a pretty good action/boxing movie from the early 70s. If sports movies or fighting movies are something you can get into then this would be for you. If you aren't a fan of early 70s movies at all then I'd say you probably can't stomach the acting for the time period plus the 70s fashion.

• Oct 27, 2012

A dockworker becomes a successful boxer only to discover his career is controlled by the mob. Promising start fades but Williamson is solid again. What happens to a crate of heroin that caused a fight at the docks near the start remains a mystery.

• Feb 12, 2012

What makes a good blackexploation movie? I'v asked this question a few times and my conclusion is 1. You need a cause for your main character 2. You need a jive talking supporting cast 3. You need a cast of beautiful women who just can't resist the lead character. Hammer delivers all three but mind you it's not as slick as other movies in this genre. Hammer has its moment but more as an unintended satire than an action film as I suspect the director originally intended .

• Oct 23, 2011

Fred Williamson should of won oscars for this. The finest actor of his generation.

• Jul 17, 2011

• Jun 23, 2010

Blaxploitation Rocky type film as docker turn boxer is asked to throw the fight when his girlfriend is taken hostage. For a simple plot it does get bogged down by trying to thrown additional twists to plotand justbecomes a bit of a mess as a result

• Feb 04, 2010

I absolutely loved the first fifteen minutes of this movie; Fred Williamson’s beat down punch out intro is super fly fantastic. But the mob stronghold boxer take a dive storyline muddles about too much in the middle and I found myself drifting away into other household chores. Still, there’s some great dialogue—I mean, one liners “Don’t give me that pig scene” and Williamson’s mutton chops must be seen to be believed. VF.

• Sep 19, 2009

Okay Williamson vehicle. This time he's a boxer up against the mob. The best part of the film is William Smith as the main villain.