A Handful of Dust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Handful of Dust Reviews

December 5, 2016
The disintegration of an upper-class marriage and a strange encounter with a man who likes Dickens in a Brazilian forest make no heads nor tails in this adaptation of British writer Evelyn Waugh's semi-autobiographical novel.
February 2, 2014
I saw this movie recently and, previous to this, about 20 years ago. I am sure that the first version had a different ending, finishing with Kristin Scott in the scene where she discovers that she can't afford to buy the pork pie and instead the beef, implying that she had received her well-deserved comeuppance and left poor and lonely by her selfish actions. Does anybody else remember that ending or was it only wishful thinking on my part?
October 28, 2013
A beautifully shot adaptation of the Evelyn Waugh classic. However, the acting, other than that from Scott Thomas and Dench, is a little lightweight. The characterisation is weak, to the extent that I found myself strangely detached from the main tragedy. Sir Alec Guinness has a relatively small part but carries off his role with aplomb. It's a decent British film with some very recognisable faces, for example, John Junkin. Worth a watch.
½ July 26, 2012
I think this is a very under-rated British film that perhaps one day will be more appreciated. Great performances and score and if the ending drives anyone to seek out the extraordinary novel that it is based on...
January 31, 2011
Pretty good Evelyn Waugh adaptation from a starry cast
July 21, 2010
Ponderous retelling of a brilliant book. Misses all the evil humour in Waugh's novel. And it's got a young Stephen Fry in it. Even Alec Guinness looks like he's going through the motions as the wicked Dickens fanatic Mr Todd.
July 4, 2010
Tragic, scandalous and interesting. I love the 1930s atmosphere and high class drama.
January 26, 2010
As the description says... "BRUTAL". I finished the film with a verbal "Oh my gosh" accompanied with a long stare at the screen. Couldn't remember why I put this movie on my list but it was good. Shocking and good. The ending will annoy me for so long. Not a movie for everyone, because it's not the fastest paced movie around, but it goes places I totally wasn't expecting. Interesting film.
October 28, 2009
reasonable movie, good performances, not too believable though.
October 11, 2009
Great acting, interesting story, and a 1930s wardrobe to die for!
½ July 18, 2009
A story of the crueoty humans can inflict on others by attitude,a sad movie of unjustness.
May 16, 2009
Good cast. Poor script. I was disappointed.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
August 5, 2008
I found it incredibly slow moving and boring at the start, but by the last thirty minuets I was actually really enjoying it. I have to say I hated Brenda with a passion and had no sympathy for the selfish idiot at all.
I only watched this film because of the cast really, with Judi Dench, Alec Guiness (who actually firghtened me a bit in his role) and Rupert Graves who is a bit of a new discovery of mine (amazingly talanted and with an adorable face it was a good find I think) I figured it would be better than it was - but great to see Stephen Fry in his younger days.
July 28, 2008
Not even Kristin Scott Thomas could save this for me.
July 6, 2008
Just bought this and can't wait to see it.
June 16, 2008
One of the weirdest films Ive see but is good, set in the 30's middle class, about social climbing and propriety. Alex Guinness is brilliant as the mad explorer and Rupert graves is great no wonder he got cast in so many period dramas.
May 25, 2008
Brilliant cast. A bit tedious at times. Over the top, "what the..?" ending that saves it nicely.
April 2, 2008
Beautifully filmed, excellent period detail and superb costume design. Wonderful performances from everyone, especially James Wilby and Kristin Scott Thomas. It does seem longer than it actually is though, and it does ha ve some slower parts, but a fine film.
March 22, 2008
Sad ending, makes you think, good acting, love the house, very Evelyn Waugh. Would like to read the book now.