Handsome Harry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Handsome Harry Reviews

½ August 7, 2014
Slow-moving, slightly posturing drama.
February 25, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie..... Came across it by accident, and I am glad I did.
½ October 13, 2013
Formulaic, but fair.
April 15, 2013
There might be a plot worth watching in there somewhere, but I couldn't wait for it.
March 7, 2013
This film wasn't difficult to predict, but that's not to say it was obvious. Regardless, the story was compelling and so very sad.
½ July 16, 2012
I saw Steve Buscemi's name attached to this, and admittedly, that was my sole reason for watching it. He appeared in it for only about five minutes, but I didn't mind; I kept watching. This is an incredible film, brave with its subject matter and the way it handles it. It's so much more believable than many other films dealing with homosexuality and homophobia.
May 31, 2012
Terrific study of love, betrayal and regret from the eyes of a former Navy soldier who faces his past when an old Navy buddy calls him from his deathbed. Well-written, very understated, realistic and smartly directed, this is a must-see film.
May 23, 2012
Life has never looked so sad!
½ March 1, 2012
This is a small gem of a film with a memorable ensemble cast practicing the best of low key modern American film acting style, a brilliant script, a great story that unravels like the best of mysteries and a solid, secure director who understands that the film isn't about camera moves and quick cuts. She's not afraid to let the camera sit unmoving, with a cruel, unsympathetic stand for as long as it takes to help the film breathe or to reveal a hidden moment. It's about moral courage, or more properly, the lack of it when a good and decent man succumbs to powerful social and psychological pressure and unwittingly sells out a friend and lover.
½ February 6, 2012
An interesting story. Acting is good, but the storyline isn't the most exciting. Decent, but seems to drag on, and on. Heavy-hearted ending.
December 10, 2011
December 8, 2011
Its a good try, but i think the lead actor was picked wrong, he has no true emotion almost the entire movie. Also dialog could've been better.
still ..made me cry
Harlequin68
½ November 17, 2011
Well into middle age, Harry Sweeney(Jamey Sheridan) is doing well for himself in his business as an electrician and has no plans to retire soon. Thomas Kelley(Steve Buscemi), an old pal from the navy who he has not talked to in 30 years, is not quite so lucky, as he lies dying in a hospital bed. Before he goes, he wants to apologize to a former crewmate, Kagan, of theirs who along with three others they brutally beat. But Kelley dies before he can locate him, leaving the task to Harry with a little help from Kelley's daughter(Emily Donahue) who provides him with her research. First stop, Peter Rheems(John Savage), another former crewmate.

"Handsome Harry" is a low-key and meditative movie that is helped by a relaxed lead performance from Jamey Sheridan, along with a very good supporting cast that also includes Aidan Quinn, Campbell Scott and Titus Welliver. All of which is in the service of a story that seeks to explore the nature of forgiveness from an occasionally religious angle.(Harry confesses he wanted to be a priest at one point.) In short, are there some acts that cannot be forgiven? In any case, can we forgive ourselves or does guilt take over at some point? At one time, macho attitudes would not have allowed men to ask these questions of themselves but times are changing. So what may once have been impossible is now possible.
½ October 23, 2011
It's a strange movie, it takes time to see exactly what is going on. Steve Buscemi is always good and the characters are well done.
July 9, 2011
Solid cast who gave stellar performances. The storyline was well done if not a bit too predictable. Must say I did not really enjoy it though as I found it boring and did little to catch my interest.
June 20, 2011
A talented cast and good story makes this movie a good watch. Jamey Sheridan shines here.
May 16, 2011
Not what I expected at all.... Really slow paced but very well acted
May 13, 2011
There's nothing really creative about the premise/plot/narrative but I really enjoyed the movie for being the most subtle movie about the subject matter I've probably ever seen. No really amazing performances but I think there is something amazing about a cohesive cast. I don't know... I'd watch it again.
½ April 15, 2011
½ March 30, 2011
Gay audiences -- and probably straight ones -- will see the twists coming from a mile away, but a cast this strong makes the trip worth taking anyway.