Hangmen Also Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hangmen Also Die Reviews

½ July 9, 2017
A Czech perspective on Nazi occupation. Well made, but a little long.
½ March 17, 2017
saw on pbs tv 2-2017: Anthropoid 1943 movie "Hangmen also die"...starring Ryan Donlevy Brian Dunlevy and Walter Brennan! As. European.
About Nazi Reinhold Heydrich About his assassination, but before it was actually known??
½ February 24, 2017
Donlevy stiff. Obvious propaganda film doesn't hold up well, as sympathetic to the cause as I am!
June 9, 2015
One of my favorite WW2 films ever produced. It was made in 43' so it provides a unique glimpse into actual wartime attitudes instead being merely nostalgic, or standing in for later, cold war dogmas, as with so many of the war films from the late 50's and 60's. Consequently its very unique in portraying a genuinely left-populist resistance movement (the Czeck resistance movement) in a heroic frame. This is rare in a Hollywood movie from WW2 on. A compelling film and easy to watch.
June 9, 2015
good WWII thriller based on actual events.
December 2, 2014
Surprisingly dark for its day! Another great wartime thriller from Fritz Lang.
½ September 19, 2014
This fine Lang film, made during World War II after he moved Stateside, fully elucidated his fears and distaste for the Fascist regime of his homeland.
½ March 26, 2014
Between 2.5 and 3. One of these stories which is difficult to tell because it talks about common situations in cinema with dilemmas focused on defence of freedom (I presume they were not so common at that time, in the middle of the war), but which had to be told. Despite it, some interesting points.
½ November 9, 2013
This is a nice little piece of intrigue from Fritz Lang based off real events in Czechoslovakia. Anna Lee finds herself admidst a web of trouble when she helps a member of the underground. But the Nazis are soon hounding her and her father's life is put in danger. She is forced to choose where her greatest allegiance stands. At the time it came out this movie functioned as an anti-Nazi film and it still packs a decent punch
½ October 29, 2013
Based on a story by Fritz Lang and Bertold Brecht, this is a solid drama about events in Czechoslavakia during the Nazi occupation. Tighter editing and less emphasis on loyalist moralizing would have resulted in a superior political thriller
½ August 20, 2013
Pretty uninspired stuff unfortunately. Very little German expressionist magic and basically a dreary exercise in wartime propaganda. I was bored.
½ April 15, 2013
I find that Fritz Lang's films are often hit-or-miss, but even when they miss, they're still usually interesting failures. "Hangmen Also Die!" isn't a failure at all, but it is too long and not as tensely directed as it should have been. What could have been a riveting thriller about the Czechs getting their revenge against the Nazis ends up being kind of exciting but nonetheless forgettable. Side note: it was co-written by noted German playwright Bertolt Brecht, who seldom wrote screenplays.
June 24, 2012
Engaging Fritz Lang Production!!
½ December 5, 2011
Great but overly-long. It's not much as an anti-fascist statement but it's fantastic filmmaking with beautiful cinematography.
½ October 17, 2011
masterpiece from Fritz Lang
September 12, 2011
Lang reiterates his hate for the Nazi's, who he fled a decade earlier, with this solid Noir about the manhunt following the assassination of the "Hangman of Prague" Heydrich. More notable today as the only credited script by Brecht, whose working relationship with Lang was apparently cool.
July 1, 2011
Absorbing (and unpredictable) tale that examines the aftermath of the assassination of the head of the Nazi occupation ("the Hangman") in Czechoslovakia for both the resistance and the occupiers. Our sympathies lie with Brian Donlevy (the assassin) and the woman he accidentally drags into the fight (Anna Lee), whose father (Walter Brennan, a university professor here) is already under suspicion by the occupation. "Bert" Brecht contributed to the story/screenplay and sued the producers when he didn't get the primary credit -- some traces of his philosophy remain but this is a thriller in the Hollywood mode of the time.
April 4, 2011
Print the legend! Style courtesy of Lang, political education and morality play courtesy of Brecht.
October 25, 2010
Another Masterpiece directed by the Master Fritz Lang the Brave Czech Resistance try to trick the Nazis but they are undefeatable and their Reign of Terror goes on and on Restiance just force more Repressials
September 18, 2010
We debated: Intentions Of Murder or Hangmen Also Die? In the end we picked Lang over Imamura, only because we were in the mood for noir-soaked images of Nazi-killing resistance fighters attempting to outwit and defeat the Nazi machine. What a gem! I kept thinking of M, the man-hunt through dark city streets, the outline of human interconnectedness, the depiction in this case not of the forensic details but rather the social details, and the emotional importance of character in human lives. In some ways this sinewy plot had more revelations per frame in terms of character quirks. The clownish Nazis masking a genuine menace, the utterly brutal violence, the passionate pleas, the rational discourse against fascism, and the unflinching portrayal of inevitable consumption by the machinery of fascism. The truth that it cannot be defeated in ways we might hope, even though we try. This message subverts the notion of some kind of rallying cry. This beast is a cynical exploration of futility. And yet there is hope in there, though perhaps not where we think. Long before any notion of a revenge-against-the-Nazis type of revisionism, here's the real thing. Revenge against the Nazis, and the bastards are us. If you love Lang's Mabuse stuff and M, this is a killer plot. Cries out for a loving restoration, stands easily on the shelf beside his best. What a treat to blindly turn a corner and find this yummy treat. Yay cinema!