Happiness Runs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happiness Runs Reviews

October 3, 2012
Despite the negative reviews I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
July 10, 2012
kranker film. sehr krank und verstörend. aber interessant
July 27, 2011
Tragic and disturbing. Exactly how I would imagine it to be to live amongst a polygamous cult.
May 8, 2011
don't watch this movie.... its a total crap....
April 12, 2011
Disturbing, uncomfortable, and somehow pervasively dull. I kept waiting for an actual plot to develop, but it never really does.
½ January 3, 2011
One of the worst movies of the year.
½ December 31, 2010
i actually enjoyed this film. centered in a hippie utopia that's not exactly the way of life for the kids growing up in it, lotsa drugs and sex.....but yet this still resembles a white suburban melodrama. tries a little too hard at times but still worth a watch.
½ December 12, 2010
I truly cannot understand why Adam, who may have had his difficulties in the community in which he grew up (which was founded by my parents), but in general was loved, admired, and cared for, would wish to present such an unrelievedly-negative image of the life he lived there. I know he says it's fiction, it's not about us, it's just getting out his psychological pain and ya yas, but still... one has to realize that it will cause great pain to others who may not deserve it when one makes a movie like this. I believe that the film has little to do with the reality. I know for sure that Irving, my father, the apparent prototype for "Isley", the "commune leader" in this film, was nothing like this. And he loved Adam and Adam's mother very much, and admired them deeply. He thought of them as kindred spirits. I hope Adam will continue to visit, which he does almost every year, and that one day perhaps he'll make another film based on his experiences at QH-Magila that will be a lot more "fair and balanced," to borrow a phrase from (in my opinion) fascistic Fox News.Anyway, Adam, we love you, no matter what. Maybe all of us have to get stuff like this out of our systems when we're young.
Adam himself, in his Director's statement, has said that he had an idyllic childhood in many ways. I regret that it was not entirely so. But perhaps some of these are not the fault of those around Adam.
Anyway, we love you, yet must say, we are NOT this place you depict.
½ November 22, 2010
Looking purely at the idea its representing it is an interesting subject to have turned into a film the end project unfortunately doesn't do the subject justice.
November 14, 2010
pretty looking, but very meandering...lacking direction...meh
½ October 10, 2010
Dreadful. Too much emphasis on creating "cool and arty" cinematography (which fails by a long way anyway) and no effort put into developing a story, script or message worthy of any attention whatsoever.
September 18, 2010
Beautiful cinematography coupled with good pacing and narrative structure and the narration pulls you into. Too bad the plot doesn't captivate me enough the characters are still your generic one note teenagers that we get in so many other films. Was hoping due to their upbringing outside of conventional society that they would be different but sadly no still your teen archetypes.
September 4, 2010
Piece of Shit. Saying that this film is all style and no substance would be giving it far too much credit. I guess the director's profound statement about life without structure only leads to disillustionment; yea, no shit buddy. The characters are all one note, with really petty problems which I couldn't care less about. The screenplay is pretty bad, the acting is pretty bad, and the director's attempt to be artful is straight up laughable. Rutger Hauer what were you thinking?
August 31, 2010
Just another coming of age story. It shows how the kids were neglected. Not much else.
½ August 26, 2010
A movie with very very strong visuals, but fails to create the impact it needs to, for a movie of this genre
August 9, 2010
All I can say is wow. Definetly not an uplifting flick, but really intersting and very well done. This indie is not for everyone due to the graphic sex, drugs and violence. Definetly one to ponder.
August 7, 2010
This movie is a waste of time. Happiness Runs lacks substance and likable characters. You feel very little sympathy for the characters as they live their wretched lives. All this movie is truly about is sex, drugs, and alcohol. There is not one scene that does not include at least one of these topics. It is often unpredictable, but in its case it is not a good thing because the result is never interesting or a triumph for the character. The other bad thing about this movie is that nothing is truly resolved. This film also tries too hard to be profound causing it seem like a drawn out mess. You should not watch Happiness Runs!

1.8/10
August 5, 2010
O.K., life without structure or purpose leads to disillusionment and angst, but we knew that already. I'll be darned if I know what deeper lesson we're supposed to learn after suffering through 88 minutes of misery.This film had potential but doesn't suceed SKIP IT!!!
June 23, 2010
For anyone who's ever felt lost even though they technically belonged; for anyone who's ever tried to escape where they came from; for anyone who is nastalgic for the 60s or who just would like to see free love, particularly erotic Hanna Hall (who's character is reminicent of Penny Lane in "Almost Famous") naked a lot, put this flick on your Q. It stayed with me long after I saw it.
April 29, 2010
Check out the trailer on this movie if you can, it looks really really good!!!