Happy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy Reviews

½ July 27, 2016
Incredibly boring film about happiness. I've read a lot of the research the film is based on, yet the tone of the movie was so dry and boring it was hard to watch. At the end of the movie I felt less happy than when I started. Lol. I'm glad I saw it with my girlfriend who was equally eager to watch the film. We both had the same reaction. Where was the fun? The Okinawa segment and the Bayou segment were the highlights of the movie for us. Both joyous groups of people. Wish the movie was more like they were.
½ June 9, 2016
A good self-help book in the form of a doc.
April 12, 2016
An insubstantial documentary that demonstrates some fairly light-weight insights about the human condition. The movie probes the idea of why a person living in an Asian slum, a middle aged Brazilian beach bum, a Scandinavian single mother or an extended family of Louisiana swamp dwellers are seemingly more happy and contented with their lot than people trapped in the rat race in big cities like New York. If you are hoping for major life-style revelations and hard science you're going to be disappointed as this film really only states the blindingly obvious that a supportive family, a few good friends, stability and generally being nice to each other are the key to happiness. As a documentary, it's all rather shallow and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I wanted to know more about how the politicians in Bhutan were actively managing and monitoring the public happiness index, giving it as much if not greater prominence than economic growth. For me, therein lies a really fascinating documentary, one which this film really wasn't able to rise to.
January 15, 2016
Puts a smile on your face and makes you stop for a second so that you can get a greater perspective on what exactly this life is all about. Nothing new under the sun but there's some choice moments - for example the moment when a few pre-teens stand up in front of the whole school to talk about their personal experience with bullying. Powerful stuff.
December 21, 2015
What a fun and truthful documentary!! loved it!
November 6, 2015
Meh, needed a better narrator but otherwise not bad. Nothing revolutionary. Loved seeing Okinawa pop up
June 28, 2015
Happy is one documentary to definitely watch and learn from. It had me by the heart in many instances.
March 26, 2015
This documentary isn't full of too many surprises or revelations, but it is light, digestable Netflix viewing.
January 6, 2015
Happy :)

You need to take it on board though, don't judge
December 7, 2014
This is what the powers that be don't want you to know...
November 4, 2014
Quite the uplifting documentary that's part therapeutic, inspiring and down right inspiring via anecdotes of those who are living meaningful, happy lives with less than what Western Society deems as requisites. Buddhist / Dalai Lama teachings anyone?
October 29, 2014
"El secreto de la felicidad está en ayudar a los demás " Contrario a lo que hacemos en nuestra sociedad de fregar a los demás...
September 20, 2014
Inspirational, informative, and infectious
August 25, 2014
I am proud of being born in Okinawa
July 19, 2014
a film talks about the happyness portion of today's human life. what it really takes to be happy. Is it money, status, fame or something else? a great documentation of a collective interviews and sneak peak in ordinary people's life who see each day is a happy one. :)
March 31, 2014
A great look at what scientifically makes us happy and how cultures around the world do to make themselves happy. Definitely a must watch.
March 16, 2014
Great documentary. Although it made me cry a couple times which did not make me happy.
March 14, 2014
TIL: Japan is depressing; Bhutan and Denmark are happy.
January 31, 2014
89% Interesting points about what can lead to a person's true happiness in conducting a long lasting healthy life, even in ways I never knew to be possible. But hey, who doesn't have a preference in life?
½ January 26, 2014
Would have been better if it didn't exaggerate and cherry-pick to fit an agenda.