Happy, Texas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy, Texas Reviews

November 9, 2015
A hokey 90s rom-com. Compare it to a later similarly plotted film "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" and its painfully unfunny, borderline offensive, and as cliche as it gets. The main characters motivation to post up in a new town and assume false identities as a gay couple? a measly $1000! Steve Zahn and William H Macy may be good, but not good enough to be interesting.
½ August 11, 2014
(First viewing - Fall 2007)
August 8, 2014
Not bad but not great. A solid premise that wasn't fleshed out enough. Steve Zahn is the best part of this movie and overshadows Jeremy Northam (who?) a lot. its no surprise this guy has gone on to do nothing. On the flip side Ally Walker is super hot and need to be in more things. This movie probably played better the 99 then it does these days. still its nice to be reminded that not all comedy's have to revolve around weddings.
January 29, 2014
Funny light entertainment for a weeknight. Actually, it's kinda hilarious...
½ November 19, 2013
While it isn't as it funny as it probably should be, this is still a charming and original comedy. While Jeremy Northam is pretty stale, Steve Zahn however is downright outstanding in this. See it for him.
November 4, 2013
hilarious in every way.
½ September 20, 2013
I swear, there is no pattern in the movies I have watched today. None at all. Anyway, I watched this thinking it would suck horribly since I never heard of it, but apparently it was actually funny. In my opinion, at least, and apparently with critics. It's an old formula, you know, disguising as something ridiculous (B) to avoid A. Then A shows up and C happens. But, in spite of that and the fact that this movie is 14 years old, it still manages to retain a fresh quality to it. I mean, it made Steve Zahn likable. Jeremy Northam is like sex on wheels, so that's nice. ...I even ended up feeling bad for the sheriff because he got his gay heart broken. So, pretty solid comedy.
June 15, 2013
Is it the best movie I have ever seen? No, but what it does, it does very well. A great blend of laughter and heart--and three supporting performances to watch out for. Macy for sure, but don't overlook Douglas and Gaffney. Some great one liners there that will slip by you if you are not paying attention.
May 25, 2013
'Happy Texas' is a quirky little comedy with lots of heart. Two escaped convicts pretend to be gay pageant runners while planning to rob the small town bank... how could that premise not pack the laughs? Zahn has become one of my favorite comedic talents of the last decade... and he does not disappoint here.
May 1, 2013
a 2 yuck fish out of water comedy
½ March 30, 2013
Extremely forgettable. If memory serves at all, I think it wanted to be the next 'Raising Arizona'.
December 2, 2012
It's silly, but you get drawn in. Steve Zahn is wacko!
December 2, 2012
It's silly, but you get drawn in. Steve Zahn is wacko!
November 29, 2012
This movie was good for a few laughs but that's all. Steve Zahn gets credit for all of these laughs, particularly in the first scene and when he interacts with the pageant girls for the first time. This movie lacks a strong plot and tries to make up with it with a lot of gay jokes. William H. Macy's acting is entertaining but this movie's purpose does not extend beyond playing in the background while doing other things.
November 26, 2012
I thought this was a good movie with a fun cast, highlighted by Steve Zahn's performance. I think the movie does do a good job at avoiding a lot of ugly gay stereotypes by actually focusing on the characters and their actions. There is humor based around the fact that they're pretending to be gay, such as Harry dating Chappy, but it doesn't mock the characters for their lifestyle and the movie does look at the characters with a certain sweetness and lightness that makes the movie very easy to watch. So I applaud the maturity of the script. I think there is a weakness in the story development. There's just something very generic and uninspiring about the story. The writing itself is solid, but the story isn't great. It just feels like something you've already seen before and I think it's certainly an obstacle that the cast had to overcome and they do an admirable job. It's only a good film, but I think it's a very good one at that, if that makes sense. It's a very good good movie. It's got its flaws but it is ultimately an enjoyable comedy with some fine performances.
November 10, 2012
viewed on 31/7/04 (Sat)

Bought the VCD some time back. The quality of the movie is so bad and heavily censored. I sold it away eventually. I did not watch the movie though.

The idea of the story is going to guarantee barrels of laughter. Two escaped convicts disguised as gay pageant trainers for little girls. One has to woo his dream girl while keeping up his 'gay' identity and pretending to date a gay sheriff (William H. Macy!!). The other, a roughneck, has to teach little girls how to catwalk, dance and even sew costumes for them. Along the way, they want to rob a bank too.

It is very entertaining but formulaic. After the first half of laughing silly, the second part becomes a tad dull and predictable. Kind of a waste of a good story.

Rating: B
September 3, 2012
viewed on 31/7/04 (Sat)

Rating: B
½ July 14, 2012
This movie isn't so great and ain't so bad either , the guy with the moustache was the only reason I watched this movie .
July 2, 2012
A fun little comedy with a great cast that still feels like it could have done more via a richer script and more laughs.
June 2, 2012
Steve Zahn is great in this one!