Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai Reviews

• Feb 17, 2019

Not yet seen but funny to read that some critics think its about the seppuku ritual...ridiculous

• Feb 13, 2018

If you are going to enjoy this movie, you will have to go in with a certain perspective. The fact that it was made by master of brutality Takashi Miike fresh of the heels of 13 Assassins led me to think it was going to a type of movie that it most definitely wasn't. Whereas 13 Assassins was an insanely brutal and gory action-revenge film, Hara Kiri is very much a drama. 13 Assassins I enjoyed a hell of a lot more, but Hara Kiri was much more a classical samurai movie. I guess Miike wanted to make a more traditional samurai movie. Well props to him, because I guess he succeeded. The problem is that most traditional samurai movies are very slow, nihilistic, and unfulfilling. There are exceptions, like the Lone Wolf & Cub series, but for the most part that's what I've seen in them. Hara Kiri is the same. It's long, depressing, uncomfortable, and the end is aggravatingly unfulfilling. Maybe if the film had a stronger ending I would have liked it more, but it felt like a long road to nowhere with no satisfaction. That's sort of the point, I get that, but that doesn't mean I liked it. If you're a fan of traditional samurai dramas then you'll probably like this fine. The visuals are nice, costumes and sets are great, and the acting is incredibly good. For me though, I was mostly just bored. I respected it more than I liked it. Take that for what it's worth.

• Jan 14, 2017

So dramatic. Watching this movie makes me confused.

So dramatic. Watching this movie makes me confused.

• Dec 05, 2016

• May 10, 2016

A great remake of the original. The theme regarding the pitfalls of blindly adhering to codes of conduct is universal.

• Feb 20, 2016

It is very well made. The story is extremely well written and well acted out. But... these kind of movies just leaves you with a sick feeling in your stomach.

• Sep 27, 2015

As usual, gripping and tense at the beginning and snooze fest later on. Couldn't really sympathize with any of the character either since they're all at fault. But I'm giving credit for its beautiful cinematography and acting. At least they try.

• Aug 02, 2015

Not a bad film in itself, but as with cinema masterpiece remakes it results in the obvious question: WHY? This one adds nothing worthy to the original, which is one of the greatest films ever made. Instead, its solid but workman production and performances pale badly by comparison. Were it an original movie, it would be a good one, not exceptional, but not a bad one either. That is the inherent danger in undertaking a remake, and it's nearly impossible to remake a masterpiece without falling flat. While this one is OK, without substantial flaws, it fails to rise to the level of Masaki Kobayashi's original by a large margin. Takashi Miike could have better spent his time, energy and money on creating an original Edo period film, not attempting to remake one of cinema's all time masterpieces. Eventually, this one will end up in the dustbin of discarded remakes, forgotten for all but a footnote in the trivia notes for the original.

• Jan 14, 2015

Possibly my favorite Miike film. Modern yet nostalgic. Excellent character driven revenge narrative. Beautifully shot.

• Aug 29, 2014

Though not as thoroughly arresting as Miike's previous samurai venture, this calm period drama remake has an evocative atmosphere, a suitably old-fashioned narrative, and finishes off with suitable thematic catharsis. A bit on the slow side, but, once again, another showcase for Miike's astounding versatility.