Hard Core Logo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hard Core Logo Reviews

December 19, 2013
Hard Core Logo has a sad and depressing current to it, which made for such a good movie! Not a movie for someone who suffers depression! The theme of how one acts and what they say can crush and kill a friend. The ending left a lasting impression on me! Hard Core Logo is a Canadian indie style movie filmed as a documentary about the band's 4 city tour of western Canada. Hugh Dillon, who is the lead singer of the Head stones, added many real life experiences for the movie. The Winnipeg meltdown scene was so realistic. The live performances were authentic and had the energy of a punk show. The movie's foreground is about a friendship between Joe Dick and Billy Talent. ( Yes the band Billy Talent got their name from the movie) The Joe Dick character was so much like my college friend who sang in a punk band, and Dillon nails the role. John is a real friend and is an in your face does not care guy John Hates phonies and is self-destructive. Billy is angry at John for wrecking his career, and wants to grow as a musician. One experiences a real friendship in the movie between the two protagonists, but as the movie progresses the past strains development. Hard Core Logo themes unfold of everyone uses everyone, and people back stab people. Joe the guy who does not care actually does care, and the unbreakable breaks. The last fifteen minutes of Hard Core Logo were so hard to watch. One experiences the pathos when Joe gets broken, and experiences real pain/tears of Joe's meltdown and tragic ending. 4 stars
½ June 18, 2013
Easily one of the best "mockumentaries" I've ever seen.... and likely one of the best made.
May 15, 2013
Spinal Tap for the punk rock crowd has its moments but isn't very funny and feels darker rather than funny...worth watching if you are bored.
May 15, 2013
this was on tv last night, and while i'm not really into these "mockumentary" films (i.e. SPINAL TAP), i decided to watch it anyway as it has high ratings on here. was an interesting cdn one, and had a shocker of an ending!
½ April 28, 2013
If I understood what this movie was trying to say correctly it seemed to be that the most punk rock thing one can hope to accomplish in life is self destructing in every conceivable way possible at every opportunity. If this portrayal of punk rock is to be believed then selfishness, dishonesty and immaturity are character traits to be held in high esteem and being obnoxious and irreverent just for the sake of being obnoxious and irreverent is the height of what one can hope to attain as a human being.
Nevertheless, the movie's good. The music's good. Joe Dick (as portrayed by Hugh Dillon) lead singer and protagonist of Hard Core Logo, puts the band and consequently the movie on his back and carries it to it's surprisingly grim, inexorable conclusion.
January 29, 2013
Decent Canadian indie flick with a big cult following.
November 20, 2012
A movie that Canadians are supposed to generally accept as some kind of wonderful just never really connected with me.
September 20, 2012
THIS is a Canadian cult classic HARD CORE LOGO a mockumentary that is based on a book of the same name Released in 1996, the film documents a once-popular punk band, Hard Core Logo, which stars Hugh Dillon, Callum Keith Rennie, John Pyper-Ferguson, Bernie Coulson, & Julian Richings plays Bucky Haight, Dick's idol with cameos by Joey Ramone & Canadian punk legend d.o.a
This movie is awesome just fucking awesome I can't word it any other way a must see not only by punk fans but by Canadians as well

Movie fun fact: that shitty emo band Billy Tallent got there name from the fame-tempted guitarist in this movie......but don't let that hold you back from seeing this awesome movie

BUY (IF YOU CAN FIND IT)
July 10, 2012
this one hell of a movie and its the best mock documentary films I've seen and as Canadian films go its the best I've seen and i'm looking forward to number 2 when it comes out
June 14, 2012
The only thing that could have made this any better is if it had been real. An absolute classic of the highest calibre and possibly the greatest mockumentary of all time. There is an electric energy and a unexpected depth which catapults Hard Core Logo heads and shoulders above other films of its kind. A must see for any music fan.
May 6, 2012
The more serious brother to This is Spinal Tap. Everything works so well here. Some comedic elements but mostly pretty intense stuff. Can't wait to see the sequel today.
April 29, 2012
Exceptionally well make mocumentary you'd believe was real from the natural performances, appropriate songs and accurate portrayal of the music scene. If it wasn't for films like Anvil, Almost Famous & Spinal Tap it would stand head and shoulders over many music documentaries. Where it fails is in it being almost too real and when the subjects look and feel real but aren't it makes the relationships seem hollow and slightly cliche.
April 22, 2012
I really enjoyed this and being from Canada and being a fan of punk music, I liked it from start to finish. Its a great mocumentary about a Canadian punk rock band called Hard Core Logo thats somewhat like This is Spinal Tap, but with more realism, more dramatic, more tragic, but some times just as redicous. Not to mention the shocking ending thats impossible to guess. Seriously, it throws you off guard! Tarantino also liked this so much that he decided to buy the right and distribute the film himself. He even thought about casting Hugh Dillon for a role in Kill Bill at one point. This is defently a good Canadian film thats considered on of Canada's best films. It contains a great soundtrack, great dialogue, interesting characters and events, and much more. This mocumentary rocks.
April 9, 2012
Maybe for the first time I have watched a film with the Director in the house. He came up before the screening, introduced it and then did a Q and A after that I didnt attend but still.

Good enough film not exactly a classic in my book but it was well made and probably ahead of the time when this sort of thing became very common.

HCL are a crappy band who think they are better than what they are. Joe Dick is the singer who tops himself at the end when the guitarist fucks off to LA to be with another band. I mean that sums it up in a nutshell.
The music is rubbish, my opinion. There are a few funny scenes though which keep you interested and its very Canadian in its way.

I think the acting was actually very good and I imagine those involved had a good time making the film (apparently it was all done very sober!).

Not bad but I wont be queuing up to see hard core logo 2 or 3.
½ March 23, 2012
There's the makings of a good film here if you can get past the Spinal Tap parallels. It's a shame the actors obviously weren't playing their instruments though, which together with some clumsy product placement dragged it down to a 2.5/5 for me.
February 15, 2012
a good addition to the mockumentary category
January 11, 2012
This movie is a great ride! There are some really funny moments and a lot of interesting, quirky characters in this film. The actors playing the band really work well together and the music is great. This is my favourite film by Bruce McDonald.
½ December 19, 2011
94%

"I have only one word for this...blaspheme."-John Oxenberger (John Pyper-Ferguson)

If you've been on the road or grew up in this period, you're most likely gonna like it. Feels more like a documentry, then a mock. The acid trip was wicked and full of symbolism.

"And in the end, it's love."-John Oxenberger
October 24, 2011

BUY (IF YOU CAN FIND IT)
September 11, 2011
The greatest rock 'N roll movie of all time.