The Hard Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hard Way Reviews

½ August 13, 2017
Very funny film, especially the first hour or so, a bit more serious towards the end but it was very good.
½ July 27, 2017
The unlikely paring of Michael J Fox and James Woods works like a charm in this excellent and largely overlooked "buddy cop" comedy thriller. With great, crackling performances from all concerned, a well written script and fun action, I find myself rewatching this movie at least every couple of years.
½ May 6, 2017
This is easily one of my favourite action comedy films and this works so much better than other films that try to combine those genres because both sides are equally strong. The comedy side works thanks not only because of the incredibly witty script but because James Woods and Michael J. Fox are great together with great chemistry between the two. I will admit though that Woods is the primary stand out in this film, he is hilarious. The supporting cast is also solid, I like the score and though the plot is somewhat familiar it is serviceable. The action side is also great with solid stunts, impressive set pieces and it is combined with the comedy aspect in certain areas perfectly.
March 18, 2017
love this film. very funny. and a good riff on the buddy cop movie.
September 7, 2016
Hilarious, fresh and entertaining, The Hard Way generates genuine laughs from a formulaic element that shines with terrific chemistry from Michael J. Fox and James Woods and outlines a solidly executed narrative.
July 10, 2016
Probably the worst buddcy-cop I've ever seen.
June 30, 2016
I haven't seen this since the days of video rentals. It still holds up and James Woods is on fine form with loads of oneliners. Great chemistry between him and Michael J. Fox.
June 18, 2016
Totally underrated film. Great acting by
Michael J Fox, however James Woods, for me, steals the show. Although a 90s feel film, script is still so funny. This is a witty, fast well written, action packed, silly and great fun - please - - - watch it.
June 15, 2016
Very fun... as far as buddy-cop movies go.
½ September 8, 2015
Cool and even somewhat original, beautifully shot in noirish style.
August 20, 2015
I bought it for my collection because I think James Woods is awesome. But it was a great movie about an actor, played my Michael J. Fox shadowing a police detective to try to get a role in an upcoming movie. But instead, the end up chasing an insane killer. Humor & Acton. Loved It.
½ December 31, 2014
Great cast and a great idea for a different take on the buddy cop genre, but this just doesn't work. It's too long, feels even longer, doesn't really have a good pacing, doesn't know it wants to be serious or goofy. Just all over the place really. Could have been so much better.
November 17, 2014
An unfunny, forgettable, early 90s (action?) movie. This movie was confused with what it wanted to be. One minute it's trying to do comedy like a Naked Gun movie, and the next it is trying to be a serious cop drama. The cast is good, but the material sucks. Michael J. Fox makes a good out-of-his-environment Hollywood actor, but his character was supposed to be an action star and I couldn't find it believable at all. He's also relied on too heavily for the comedy, but there's only so much he can do and there aren't really any jokes in the movie (and the ones there are miss really bad).

The movie is also a bit too long. It would have ended just fine if it ended where Michael J. Fox is in the car with the main villain, but the movie then goes on another inexplicable 15 or 20 minutes that really added nothing to the movie. It's entertaining enough because of the cast, but it's so forgettable that I find myself forgetting parts of the movie and I just watched it yesterday. That to me is the sign of a movie that is worth skipping.
August 19, 2014
An under rated buddy thriller with laughs and pace with each actor at the top of their game in their prime.
½ August 13, 2014
James Woods ruined the movie with his over acting. Fox was great and saved the movie from being a total loss.
August 7, 2014
Great buddy comedy movie =)
April 2, 2014
What initially put me off was the clichéd, yet farfetched plot and the unlikeable characters, but it gets more interesting and enjoyable when you realise it's being intentionally meta.
March 29, 2014
One of the last great buddy cop movies. Largely forgotten and undeservedly so. Fox and Woods make a strange but compelling team with each working overtime to make the otherwise humdrum plot worth watching. Funny, smarter than the average flick and a lot of fun.
March 19, 2014
This is a fun buddy cop film. Not boring in any scenes and Fox delivers a great performance.
March 17, 2014
Fairly predictable, but still great fun. Woods is on top form and Fox is (purposely) annoying