The Hard Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hard Way Reviews

September 7, 2016
Hilarious, fresh and entertaining, The Hard Way generates genuine laughs from a formulaic element that shines with terrific chemistry from Michael J. Fox and James Woods and outlines a solidly executed narrative.
July 10, 2016
Probably the worst buddcy-cop I've ever seen.
June 30, 2016
I haven't seen this since the days of video rentals. It still holds up and James Woods is on fine form with loads of oneliners. Great chemistry between him and Michael J. Fox.
June 18, 2016
Totally underrated film. Great acting by
Michael J Fox, however James Woods, for me, steals the show. Although a 90s feel film, script is still so funny. This is a witty, fast well written, action packed, silly and great fun - please - - - watch it.
June 15, 2016
Very fun... as far as buddy-cop movies go.
½ September 8, 2015
Cool and even somewhat original, beautifully shot in noirish style.
August 20, 2015
I bought it for my collection because I think James Woods is awesome. But it was a great movie about an actor, played my Michael J. Fox shadowing a police detective to try to get a role in an upcoming movie. But instead, the end up chasing an insane killer. Humor & Acton. Loved It.
½ December 31, 2014
Great cast and a great idea for a different take on the buddy cop genre, but this just doesn't work. It's too long, feels even longer, doesn't really have a good pacing, doesn't know it wants to be serious or goofy. Just all over the place really. Could have been so much better.
November 17, 2014
An unfunny, forgettable, early 90s (action?) movie. This movie was confused with what it wanted to be. One minute it's trying to do comedy like a Naked Gun movie, and the next it is trying to be a serious cop drama. The cast is good, but the material sucks. Michael J. Fox makes a good out-of-his-environment Hollywood actor, but his character was supposed to be an action star and I couldn't find it believable at all. He's also relied on too heavily for the comedy, but there's only so much he can do and there aren't really any jokes in the movie (and the ones there are miss really bad).

The movie is also a bit too long. It would have ended just fine if it ended where Michael J. Fox is in the car with the main villain, but the movie then goes on another inexplicable 15 or 20 minutes that really added nothing to the movie. It's entertaining enough because of the cast, but it's so forgettable that I find myself forgetting parts of the movie and I just watched it yesterday. That to me is the sign of a movie that is worth skipping.
August 19, 2014
An under rated buddy thriller with laughs and pace with each actor at the top of their game in their prime.
½ August 13, 2014
James Woods ruined the movie with his over acting. Fox was great and saved the movie from being a total loss.
August 7, 2014
Great buddy comedy movie =)
April 2, 2014
What initially put me off was the clichéd, yet farfetched plot and the unlikeable characters, but it gets more interesting and enjoyable when you realise it's being intentionally meta.
March 29, 2014
One of the last great buddy cop movies. Largely forgotten and undeservedly so. Fox and Woods make a strange but compelling team with each working overtime to make the otherwise humdrum plot worth watching. Funny, smarter than the average flick and a lot of fun.
March 19, 2014
This is a fun buddy cop film. Not boring in any scenes and Fox delivers a great performance.
March 17, 2014
Fairly predictable, but still great fun. Woods is on top form and Fox is (purposely) annoying
½ February 27, 2014
Entertaining. I'd watch it again.
September 1, 2013
The movie is about an actor/cop going after a bad guy who runs a disco club. The bad guy is very well played and is convincing as an ignorant low-life. When the film is more relaxed and plays strictly for laughs, it makes for an amusing comedy. Bottom Line: A decent comedy that lacks substance and quality but is still fun to watch.
½ August 30, 2013
Stays a fine movie to follow !
½ August 13, 2013
Good casting, nice early '90s NYC locations, and a few inspired moments, but this is mostly standard-issue buddy action/comedy.