Hardly Working - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hardly Working Reviews

November 25, 2016
Great fun, though Lewis is a bit long in the tooth here for some of this material. It is another mature-themed Lewis film. Should be on DVD and / or Blu-ray.
March 10, 2016
Later works of Jerry Lewis, not the best but not the worst.
½ August 4, 2015
Again, if you like Lewis and slapstick then this one is worth a see. Otherwise, stay away.
½ February 23, 2014
I remember thinking this was pretty funny when I first saw it in 1981. I guess I'll chalk that up to being 10 at the time. We watched it again last night, and despite several random moments of pretty funny, normal Jerry Lewis slapstick, this is kind of a turd. The scene of him working the grill is priceless though. Then again, minus a half star for the final, ridiculous scene with the rabbits. Meh.
October 27, 2012
Jerry Lewis comeback film where he plays a clown who moves in with his sister's family when the circus is shut down. Hard to imagine this earned Jerry many new fans as he uses virtually the same dated material he did in the 50's. Lewis fans will likely enjoy but there is only so many times I can laugh at him knock something over or spill a drink on someone.
June 5, 2012
October 7, 2011
Jerry Lewis comeback as unemployed clown attempting to find another line of work. Lewis' charm comes thru at times but film confirms that the 'Golden Age' of comedy really wasn't so golden. Buck teeth and drag aren't automatically hilarious anymore.
½ October 26, 2010
Jerry Lewis is back to his old self of a genius comedian except the film lacked the formula as his previous films.
½ June 17, 2010
I think I need to watch this again. I was hoping for the free-from dadaist mania of Lewis's subsequent and last film, Cracking Up. While this is aggressively strange and discontinuous at times, it seems more interested in conveying the type of pathos that Lewis showed in films like The Family Jewels.