A Harlot's Progress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Harlot's Progress Reviews

March 15, 2016
Imagining the story behind William Hogarth and the unnamed woman (or women) who inspired his famous work, A Harlot's Progress. Like Hogarth's art, this film is an indictment of the squalor and hypocrisy of Georgian London. A great cast, including Toby Jones, Zoe Tapper and Sophie Thompson. Brings powerfully to life the indignation behind Hogarth's biting satire, and by using voiceovers, compares the ills of that age to the present day.
July 4, 2011
Interesting story line about William Hogarth, a famous painter who was inspired to paint the poverty and misery of his time and the women driven by their poor environment into the sordid and dangerous life of prostitution. He too rose from poverty to prominence due to his art work.
½ April 16, 2011
An interesting watch, often juxtaposing modern London with the Georgian one (however made up it may be). Some good performances and emotion.
½ August 25, 2009
I am rating this months after watching it so I can't say it is very fresh in my memory. The film is a dramatisation of the Hogarth's series of woodcuts "A Harlot's Progress", describing a girl's fateful descent into vice and disease. I found the use of anachronistic city sounds in some of the shots rather effective.
September 27, 2008
i stayed up until nearly 2am watching this last night on more 4! it was superb: a stellar cast, and showed how awful life was for fallen women in 18th century london. it was occasionally interspersed with news bulletin voiceovers from the 21st century which were pertinent to the unfolding drama, and brilliantly demonstrated that the squalor, alcoholism, drug addiction, degradation, exploitation, poverty, disease, starvation, death and everything else associated with the sex trade are still with us.
September 14, 2008
Definitely a very refreshing period piece. Not striving for authenticity, the envisioning of Hogarth's series of paintings, and other integration with artwork, is very interesting. The injection of more modern references provides a empathic bridge to the past. It doesn't always work, but overall this was a pretty good film.
½ August 9, 2008
A dusty play on the success of "A Girl With A Pearl Earring," this film did hold my attention throughout. Highly fictionalized, it moves along at a steady clip with interesting if not complex characters. Toby Jones is terrific.