Harriet Craig - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harriet Craig Reviews

March 21, 2014
Joan played this role to perfection. True Hollywood actress.
½ February 18, 2014
Now this is type of Joan Crawford vehicle I'm used to; where she plays a crazy person. Kind man Wendell Corey marries Joan, who he quickly finds out is a neurotic and controlling crazy person who cares more about her house and possessions in it over any of the people in her life. Good campy Joan stuff.
January 22, 2014
third film version of this story good late career crawford
½ September 21, 2013
For some reason, I was still up at 4 in the morning....when I stumbled across the last hour of this thing on Antenna TV. Even though I was tired & wanted to go to sleep, I couldn't look away from the hideousness of Joan Crawford. I'm not sure if it's HER or the character she was playing. I kept thinking of Mommy Dearest. I was obviously impressed enough, that I made a note to look up this film this morning. I want to see the beginning. This is the 2nd Crawford film I've recently seen on that channel. the other was some really bad one where she was the owner of a travelling carnival or circus. She was supposed to be 'hot' or something I think, but looked pretty gnarly ( it was in color....probably made in her 'long-in-the-tooth' years. I noticed that in both of these films, her face was always lit in a strange way.....almost horizontal shadows or bands of light across her face. Always the eyes in light....but maybe they were trying to hide her age or something. I really DON'T like this Joan Crawford woman. Either she was just a really great actress at playing nasty women.......or she was like that in real life. She strikes me as someone who would have been difficult & demanding to have to work with. Anyway, I liked the movie.
April 14, 2013
Amusing Crawford vehicle featuring her at her bitchy, OCD, controlling nightmarish self. Mommie Dearest would have us believe she was just this bad in real life.... perhaps, but probably not quite as malicious as Horrible Harriet. Soapy, silly, overwrought and dated- but an entertaining enough 92 minute morality play. The message seems to be that love should be the overriding feature of marriage, and that it should be a compromise, however their old-fashioned mores would have us believe that the way to get that is through having the man dominate everything. Or something. We've all known Harriet Craigs, and their 'Yes dear' husbands, so it's good to see an unrealistic film where we have one of them waking up to what a bitch he's married. And in that, Wendell Corey does a good job. Lucile Watson is too wet by far, but the old dames are a good match for Crawford. Fun, but not too deep or interesting.
½ July 19, 2012
She gets her comeuppance in the end. One of Joan's bitchier performances
March 31, 2012
Truly one of her greatest roles.
½ January 28, 2011
Interesting film about a woman who is controlling of everyone around her, including her husband. She does everything she can to keep things exactly how she likes them, even if she has to lie and manipulate. It's a bit slow paced, but Joan Crawford is excellent. In some ways I liken her character to Scarlett, as they are both reprehensible but you can't help but feel some sympathy. They share a similar fate, but this story is much more focused on the psyche of one woman, and not a sweeping epic. Worth a watch if you enjoy heavy dialogue and compelling performances.
½ August 15, 2010
You can see where a lot of the Joan Crawford was a bitch in her private life is coming from in movies like this.
½ February 12, 2010
Excellent. A really strong and truthful female character. Will not be sympathetic to all, but I did feel some sympathy for her.
Compelling and believable all the way through. Easily as good as Mildred Pierce.
½ March 30, 2009
What a bitch in this movie and yet she does it all for love.
January 10, 2009
Bitchery at its best!! On the one hand, this is a must-see for all women on how to keep your man in line, heheh. On the other hand, this is also a must-see for all those manipulative bullshitters who go through life making everyone believe one thing about them but being completely opposite in reality -- what goes around does come around and you WILL be exposed. Christina Crawford has said that this role was most like Joan in real-life, and I can believe it, right down to the knitting and the gripes about having to work in a laundry. Love it!
January 7, 2009
Crawford's character is so monstrous that it's hard to watch sometimes. Kind of like in Queen Bee but this movie isn't quite as good as that. It's campy but there's something sort of offensive about it so you can't really enjoy it. You almost feel like the filmmakers are being unfair to her character. It seems like it should have been handled as a tragedy but it comes across more as a tract against women who fail to toe the line as expected by American men in the 1950s, come hell or high water. I don't see why they even bothered to give her a backstory. Maybe they meant well but floundered in the execution. The movie seems mean. I mean, she's so terrible you want to see her get her comeuppance in the end and the comeuppance isn't even so bad but there was just this sour note in there. She's cold and she's conniving but there is no credible alternative on offer. Only sexism, classism, and moralizing.
½ November 23, 2008
starring eyebrows... and much like another oldie i've seen recently in which the main player takes the further steps of actually killing people off with her jealousy. however... here harriet craig (crawford/eyebrows) just attempts under hand plotting and planning around her husband. does anyone else know the name of the other film i'm thinking of? it's not a B&W if i remember rightly. anyway... good acting from joan here. also... i thought lucile watson was great in her small part as celia fenwick
½ November 23, 2008
A little strange and probably not the kind of thing I'll watch again, but great acting from Joan Crawford.
September 13, 2008
Joan Crawford is perfect in the role of a selfish, plotting and controling woman who riuns the lives of everyone around her. There's even a scene where she wears a suit that makes her look uncanily like a vulture.
½ September 3, 2008
Crawford puts in a strong show as the selfish poisonous obsessive wife. The events on her path to self-destruction make for a classic watch.
September 3, 2008
scary lady, , living nightmare, but great
August 20, 2008
La peli más gay que he visto en años!! La Crawford está genial haciendo de super perra. Basada en una obra que ganó el Pulitzer.
March 28, 2008
This is basically Joan Crawford as: Joan Crawford. So just try to imagine that. It's actually fun to watch because I want her to get her due at the end.