Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Reviews

December 4, 2016
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' overlong runtime makes this a rather exhausting sit-through but a slightly darker tone, captivating performances and story as entertaining as its stunning visual effects allow this movie to remain another entertaining entry in the Harry Potter film series.
½ December 3, 2016
for me is best that the last one, and who didn't love dobby? haha i don't know but harry potter is a mark on the history
December 3, 2016
a good film one of my favourites
November 27, 2016
4 out of 5 stars! I just recently re-watched this after a 5 year break from the series and I have to say that I always thought that this was the weakest story of the 7 and in some ways it still might be, but it is actually one of the most important if not the most important of the stories. It is the one that really starts to lay down the threads that make up the conflict and story arc that shapes the rest of the series, particularly the final few films. This one kind of gets lost in the shuffle of the 7 stories and 8 films, but it is a vey important one to the mythology. JK already knew where he was going with the entire story arc of the series by the time she wrote this. She introduced the first horcrux 3-4 books before we even knew what horcruxes were. Ginny and Harry's relationship is first hinted at, and there are so many other small and large things introduced and character building that happened that makes this an essential story in the series.
November 24, 2016
Harry Potter is going back to Hogwarts, despite one of the films many irritating characters advising him not to do so, and reunites with his eclectic group of friends and acquaintances. For me, it's much less fun than the first instalment, instead being far more annoying, confusing and overlong. Most of the new characters just pad the runtime and are a grating presence, the story isn't as interesting as the first, the actors' delivery is still pretty awkward, and there's just so many unanswered questions. Why would a secret world have its entrance situated in a busy train station out in the open? And why does someone as smart as Hermione even need to be in school? The character of Malfoy, who is vying for the world record of how many times he can say his enemies surname in a condescending manner, is such a stereotypical bully that's its beyond unfunny, and he quickly becomes tiresome. It does have its plus points, such as the excellent effects, brilliant set designs and a great sense of humour, but it falls well short of the bar set by The Philosopher's Stone. So far, it's my least favourite of the series.
November 23, 2016
This is an awesome sequel!
November 18, 2016
In 2001, Harry Potter became a colossal hit by earning critical acclaim, more than positive feedback from audiences and earning almost a billion dollars (something that was only achieved by Cameron's "Titanic" at the time), so only a year later the first sequel arrived. Is this second installment better than the first?

Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts for his second year of learning magic but now a new evil emerges as an old legend held within the walls of the school is unleashed and threatens the students.

Making a sequel to successful film is a tricky assignment, as you can either go to new territory or repeat the same formula of the predecessor, so it is surprising that the second adventure of Potter and company lands in between those scenarios. "Chamber of Secrets" introduces some welcome ideas that can be fun for one scene (and expand the world), the inclusion of a mystery (which is quite ludicrous to be honest) is a smart decision as it gives a new angle to the story and starts taking the franchise to a darker territory, Kenneth Branagh is so much fun to watch, the action sequences are more exciting than last time (which is not saying much but still they are well executed), the acting is at the same level as last time, and it is still enjoyable. But regardless of those new welcome additions this first sequel is more flawed than the original. The story is easily the most forgettable of the whole saga (granted there are three memorable action sequences but the story that unites them isn't), the script lacks character moments, Columbus' directing is as bland as last time, Williams' score is lackluster, and it repeats numerous beats of "Philosopher's Stone".

"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is the most forgettable installment of the saga. It lacks an identity as it continues to use the style of the first film but it doesn't add anything new to the table. But regardless it is still charming, fun to watch and introduces key elements to this franchise.
½ November 18, 2016
Der zweite Teil der Harry Potter-Reihe baut sinnvoll auf dem Vorgänger auf und bietet noch mehr Action als der erste. Chris Columbus bleibt zwar seinem Stil treu, aber man merkt trotzdem, dass sich die Filmreihe eher in Richtung Jugendliche und Erwachsene entwickelt. Wie im ersten Teil schon ist die Charakterbildung (wie z. B. bei Dobby) sehr gut und man versteht sie. Ein sehr guter Film, der Lust auf die weiteren Teile macht.

The second part of the Harry Potter series builds on its predecessor and offers even more Action than the first one. Chris Columbus' influence is visible, but it's obvious that the series develops in a more darker and grown-up way. The character building is like in the first one very good (Dobby) and you can understand them. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a very good movie that makes you want to see the next parts!

Final Score: 94%
½ November 15, 2016
This one steps it up from the first movie with its creation of fantastical creatures. Yet similar to Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets prioritizes plot over emotion with its question-and-answer dialog, removing any sense of character growth like in the books. But that's still relatively easy to forgive as one crucial element of the world remains untainted: the historic struggle between muggles, wizards, and muggle-borns.
November 14, 2016
Another perfect adaptation, with a perfect cast, a perfect musical score, and another fine job by Chris Columbus.
½ November 14, 2016
Darker yet still very similar to its predecessor in terms of direction, The Chamber of Secrets is a longer but nonetheless entertaining installment in the Harry Potter franchise
½ November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Puede que no sea una película tan espectacular, pero es una conexión imprescindible con el mágico universo de Harry Potter.
½ November 12, 2016
The one with the Basilisk. I'm not a fan of the first 2 Potter films. As you'd expect from the age of the main character it's very childish and silly in places, but more than it needed to be in my opinion.
November 8, 2016
This cast is irresistible & it gets better each viewing.
½ October 31, 2016
I love Chamber of Secrets. To me, it's the last Potter film to make me feel nostalgic towards the series. Don't get me wrong, I love all 8 films, but there's something about the campy and all around goofiness to Chamber of Secrets that makes it all the more endearing.

Even though it was filmed merely months after the first film was released; Harry, Ron, and Hermione feel like they have grown so much since their first outing at Hogwarts. I guess that's the feeling you get when you watch the films within days of each other. With that said, we are jumped right back into the fold as Harry is back with his muggle family in England when a house elf, named Dobby, appears and warns him to never return back to Hogwarts. Being that it's the confident and curious Harry Potter we're talking about, of course he makes his way back to the school within a few scenes.

Much like the first film, we have plenty of entertaining side missions for the trio to go on which included; a flying car, taking a potion to disguise themselves as Slytherin, following spiders into the dark forest, and of course some Quidditch. All of this makes for a brisk 2 hours and 40 minutes of wizard fun. But the film isn't short on its eerie reveals, adventurous thrills, and dark storytelling.

Chamber of Secrets brilliantly balances all of that though. Seeing Harry venture into the secrets of Tom Riddle's diary is some terrifying stuff to see as a kid, as is seeing various victims picked off in Hogwarts due to the Chamber being open. And to me, it holds up to this day. There's definitely a more childish tone to it all, but these are 12-year-olds after all.

This film was also a test for Harry, and particularly Daniel Radcliffe, to show if he can truly carry a film or not. Hermione is sidelined for the last 40 minutes or so and Ron is just about scared of anything they come across. If there was ever a question to that proposal, Chamber of Secrets definitely put that to rest. The first film is great, but this was Harry and Radcliffe coming into their own as character and actor respectively. From here on out it's a much darker and relentlessly thrilling take on the character, so I'll always be partial to the lighter tone Chamber of Secrets presented.

+Balances goofy and gripping scenes well

+Chamber fight

+Unsettling reveals

+Plenty of entertaining missions for the trio

9.0/10
½ October 26, 2016
The second Harry Potter film is spell-binding, but the narrative always seems to be meandering about aimlessly like a new student who's lost in the hallways of Hogwarts.
October 11, 2016
A wonderful sequel to a fantastic movie franchise.
October 1, 2016
It's an improvement over the last one as was the book. It just takes you with the story and you find yourself in the story. if you like Harry Potter you like this movie. It's a sequel what lived.
½ September 23, 2016
Pretty much on par with the first film in terms of quality, but you can definitely tell the increased confidence in the storytelling and acting moving forward and going on eventually to set up the following editions.
September 18, 2016
CHAMBER OF SECRETS may borrow it's plot outline from SORCERER'S STONE, but it has enough established and consistent continuity to allow its emotional and suspenseful turns to shine brighter than the first HARRY POTTER entry.