Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Reviews

November 15, 2016
Goblet of Fire triumphs in the way it resonates with all sorts of teen problems, primarily dating relationships. It's equally as enjoyable to see the spectacle of the Triwizard Tournament, ranging from the glamorous (Beauxbatons) to the spooky (Black Lake) to the disturbing (Mad-Eye Moody). But I got to say that of all the films, this by far has the most unbearable acting, with no thanks to David Tennant or Robert Pattinson .
½ November 14, 2016
Sweeping and epic with dazzling effects and maturing characters, The Goblet of Fire marks an emotionally powerful turning point in the Harry Potter franchise
½ November 14, 2016
The dark lord has returned!
½ November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Directamente, si no te gusta Harry Potter es porque está muerto por dentro. Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire nos ofrece una de las historias más fantásticas de la saga.
November 12, 2016
The one when you-know-who makes an appearance. Based around a young wizard tournament with puberty thrown in for good measure.
½ November 9, 2016
Up until Goblet of Fire, the Potter franchise is a load of fun with some creepy imagery and dark concepts mixed in. But Goblet of Fire is the turning point in the franchise for me. Yes, Prisoner of Azkaban has its dark moments, but the grave sense of danger and threat isn't really present until the 4th film.

The Goblet of Fire opens with a pretty terrifying dream sequence involving a deformed Voldemort, which may very well be my favorite opening to any of the films in the series. It comes right out and states that this franchise is no longer just a fun adventure, there are dangerously high stakes involved here, and Voldemort is a part of them. Of course, part of the fun nature of this film is its mysteriousness and the unpredictability. I've seen the film several times, but there's nothing quite like watching the Triwizard Tournament with someone who has no idea what they're in for.

Goblet certainly brings some new characters along with its different identity. Most notably, Brendan Gleeson's Professor Alastor 'Mad¬Eye' Moody. Looking back, it's difficult to assess how much I enjoyed the character considering he was kidnapped for nearly the entire length of the film, but his impact on Harry's tribulations throughout the film are felt. I mean, why wouldn't he be an interesting character? He's just the 4th straight new defense against the dark arts teacher to be hiding something in one way or another.

No matter, The Goblet of Fire is full of fresh adventures for the trio of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Most of the film involves Harry competing in the various events of the tournament (which ends up feeling a whole lot like a Hunger Games), but there's always time for some quality trio scenes. Weirdly enough, this film made those scenes mostly deal with romance at the Yule Ball involving the three schools. It's admittedly the next logical step in these teenagers lives, but sometimes it can be a bit overboard. Some of it plays for comedy, but did I really need to see EVERYONE at Hogwarts, and I mean everyone, share the dance floor or have a scene with a love interet.

In many ways, The Goblet of Fire is the turning point in the franchise, and the first time you see someone of importance get hurt in a grave way. Although you don't have a ton of time for Cedric to develop, his death altered the course of the series and the mindsets of those at Hogwarts. That in itself makes it an important installment in the series. Not to mention the fact that there's a dragon, a bada** maze, and one unsettling resurrection towards the end. This is one of the better films, by a good margin.

+Moody's introduction

+Voldemort officially returns

+More mature and powerfully written than previous entries

+Turning point in the franchise

-Too much romance

9.2/10
November 8, 2016
VIKTOR KRUM! WORM TAIL! TOM RIDDLE! And dragons? MY PERSONAL FAVORITE IN THE ENTIRE SERIES.
November 4, 2016
I liked this Harry Potter because they where in a competition to win. But it was a little scary and the fighting was good! but it was a OK movie. I do not recommend children watching this
October 27, 2016
"Harry Potter" hasn't lost it's charm, but if I were taken hostage by my school and chained to the bottom of a lake for a school-sponsored wizardry competition, I would, at least, be looking into other schools that I'm qualified to enroll in at the end of the semester.
½ October 15, 2016
Before I start this review, I should re-name this film, "Harry Potter and the Journey of Hair Continuity." Yes, everyone's hairstyles can be a little distracting in this film (especially on the Weasley brothers) But look back on your yearbook in 2005 and try not to cringe at the hairstyle you had. I sure do. Anyways, The Goblet of Fire has gotten a reputation for being a mess among fans. I personally have never read the book so I cannot judge on that front, but what I can say is that this entry does suffer from Bi-Polar Tone Issues. This has the biggest contrast between the light-hearted fun and the dark gruesome scenes in the whole series. One scene will involve a giant attack on the Quidditch World Cup followed by Ron Weasley being amazed by girls' butts. The storyline involving Barty Crouch and the Death Eaters is actually a pretty interesting one but it takes a back seat for most of the movie for the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the Winter Ball Dance segment that takes up almost 1/3 of the movie. The Tri-Wizard Challenges are entertaining enough and all the teenage sexual tension is fun to see and gets some great laughs, but it doesn't flow as nicely as Prisoner of Azkaban did or even Chamber of Secrets for that matter. This is what happens when you hire the director of "Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time". SPOILER ALERT... You know this one was coming... Cedric Diggory's death is so hard to watch. It's brutal! It always gets me in tears. END OF SPOILERS. Although this film is not as good as I once thought it was, there are still some very entertaining parts. The additions of Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort and Brendan Gleeson as Mad-Eye Moody were some of the best casting choices in the whole series and the Dragon Battle was pretty exciting. I just wish it had more focus on its story and tone instead of focusing on scenes like Moaning Myrtle trying to catch a peek at Harry's... Magic Wand... Sorry, It was too easy.
October 1, 2016
This one brings a new elements in to wizardying world. Love and jealousy.
½ September 25, 2016
Unfortunately, I've just been completely whelmed by all the Harry Potter movies so far, this included. It's good, but doesn't really move up into a stratsophere above that. The book is long and this movie is decently long, but they cut so much and condensed everything so heavily that even at this length the movie felt too compact and rushed to make a lot of what made the story good breathe.
September 12, 2016
This is my favourite movie in the Harry Potter-franchise along with the first one. The beginning wasn't that strong, but the rest of it is so good that it doesn't really matter. It's exciting and it has a bit of everything. Most certainly entertaining.
½ September 8, 2016
Harry's Journey Takes a Dark Turn

Originally Written November 18, 2005--
The fourth movie in the blockbuster Harry Potter franchise sees Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) returning for his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, along with his friends, Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson). This year, the legendary Tri-Wizard Tournament brings the arrival of two competing schools to Hogwarts. When Harry's name is unexpectedly drawn by the Goblet of Fire to compete in the tournament---even though he is not eligible and is technically a fourth player---he must still compete in the dangerous contest.

I really enjoyed this new Harry Potter film. While condensed quite a bit from the largest novel in the series to date, screenwriter Steve Kloves streamlined J.K. Rowling's 700-plus-page opus into cinematic fighting form. Meanwhile, director Mike Newell delicately balances between whimsy and the ominous, on the uncertain middle ground where Harry lives, poised between fun at school, teenage romance, and an ever-deepening dark abyss. And the special effects, which threatened to overwhelm the first two movies, are seamlessly integrated here. But the best part of the film are Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson, who are becoming amazing actors in their own right. Who would have ever thought when these three kids were cast in these iconic roles all those years ago that they would be the best part of these films? In a word, incredible! Four-and-a-half stars.
September 8, 2016
Really good, albeit the CGI looked a little too fake. I wish there had been more poc's in this movie though.
September 6, 2016
the best, movie ever
½ September 5, 2016
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was excellent. Depth, complexity, great story, more darker, great visuals. This fourth installment to the Harry Potter franchise proves to be more crafty, vibrant, great performance by all the cast, and it was way more entertaining.
September 2, 2016
...Why do they all have long hair??? Is it the angst of adolescence? Goblet of Fire feels like it should be better than it is. It has all the elements of success: exciting new characters, dangerous competition, romance, and devious undertones. These exciting surface level encounters seem to make up for the lack of depth in the 4th Harry Potter installment.
September 1, 2016
Great acting, twists, great action scenes. Good story.
August 30, 2016
8/29/2016: A great movie. They did a great job of getting a lot of the details from the book right.