Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Reviews

September 18, 2017
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is Dark, thrilling, and emotionally satisfying.
September 2, 2017
Harry Potter movies are not my favorite but this one was good I thought
½ August 24, 2017
A funny, dark, and very beautiful film, that had my attention from beginning to end.
½ August 23, 2017
Although it may not be the highlight in the franchise, "Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince" is still a dark and solid film.

There was a time when Hogwarts was thought of as a safe haven, but thanks to Voldemort's tightening grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds, that simply isn't the case anymore. Suspecting that the castle may even harbor an outright threat, Harry finds his investigation into the matter sidelined by Dumbledore's attempts to prepare him for the monumental battle looming ever closer on the horizon.

As the war comes to a dawn, Harry and Dumbledore are at the forefront as they try and figure out the mysteries and challenges that lie ahead of them. With that being said, I think this movie had a lot going for it. However, seeing what I've seen from the previous five films, this definitely was the weakest out of all of them. Even Daniel Radcliffe has come out and said he didn't love his performance here, and I respect that a lot. He wasn't bad by any means, but this movie did just feel less, impactful so to speak.

The thing about the sixth installment is that it just feels like a transition film. It feels like a setup, a segway into the final two films. It's not neccesarily that eventful. There are some big moments in this film, but it was a relatively small piece in the puzzle for the most part. Our characters to come closer, relationships are made, and tragedy happens, but it's all just a setup in the grand scheme of things.

One thing I can say about this film is that I like a lot of the visuals and concepts. There were a lot of cool moments in this film that had some amazing visuals. I think that the continued use of a dark monotone and gloomy color pallet continually set the tone for this film. It's a good looking film, and a well shot one at that.

Again, this movie felt kind of uneventful for the most part. A lot of the beginning felt like it had focused on subplots that weren't as interesting. I mean, they did have importance to them, but it sparked my interest less. It felt unnecessary at times and more like a filler. However, it continued the norm of the past couple films, giving us a powerful and extremely emotional ending. It yet again gave me goosebumps and chills, as you know that something bigger awaits the franchise after this.

In the end, this is a solid film, it's just not my favorite thus far. Still, it does have me excited for the finale, which I've been striving to get through the past few days on my Harry Potter marathon.
August 6, 2017
Love all things Harry Potter. This was the beginning of the end.
July 21, 2017
The Half-Blood Prince is a shocking twist :)
July 15, 2017
Very fast paced and cutting out several good parts from the book, due to time concerns no doubt, this film none the less manages to hold its own in the Potter franchise. I would have liked to have seen the Horace Slughorn and rise of Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort story told in its entirety like the book.
½ July 1, 2017
Snape, Snape, Severus Snape HaHaHaHa
June 26, 2017
This was dark and very interesting. This film had very little action but the plot keeps this movie very interesting and this movie has very impressive visuals.

8.4/10
Tyler H.
June 24, 2017
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: The movie brings more complexity into the franchise with the introduction of the Horcrux. This movie is the first to intertwine all of the Harry Potter movies into a single installment. This movie is fantastic and one of my favorites in the franchise.
June 19, 2017
I wanted to slap the shit out of Ginny when she pushed for Harry to hide that book!

Good action scenes.
½ June 16, 2017
The sixth installment in the franchise replaces the action for a entertaining high school drama with a compelling mystery and heartwarming moments that succeeds in being the least action packed in the franchise, yet one of the best.
June 11, 2017
Good Harry Potter movie. The story telling was weird (the book did it a lot better). The big reveal at the end was not executed that great either.
June 5, 2017
Useless but still fun
June 2, 2017
Well...although this wasn't AS good as I expected, it was still good. I'm hoping that this is acts as a great prequel that leads into the two-part finale; "The Deathly Hallows." (Although this wasn't really a prequel).
"After all these years, I just sort of go with it," shrugs Harry Potter. Six films in, so do we (Despite the tragic events that occur during the film).
June 1, 2017
When did Harry Potter become a high school drama show? Also, why is the frame so desaturated?
½ May 31, 2017
One of the best installments in the series, Half-Blood Prince raises the stakes, advances the characters, and injects more humour than any previous installment.
½ May 15, 2017
Liked this one the most so far.
May 4, 2017
Alan Hickman is the best, he makes me like harry potter... to be more specific, he makes me like Snape.
½ April 25, 2017
Alan Rickman's time to shine!