Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Reviews

½ April 4, 2017
The beginning of the end, The Half Blood Prince is one of the darker, more brooding Harry Potter films. And as the series begins to reach it's end, the emotional impacts are larger as well. The story truly drives this less action filled edition.
½ April 2, 2017
One of the darkest and most emotional of the series, Half Blood Prince is also a fun and thrilling ride the whole way through! Even if it could have stuck to the book a little better, it is still another strong entry!
March 22, 2017
This was another really well done movie. Terribly sad Albus had to die but that's how the story goes.
March 15, 2017
A decent adaptation of the 6th installment of the series! Too bad that Professor Slughorn wasn't as walrus like he is in the book, but here, he's not bad.
March 11, 2017
Still another one with so much potential and in some ways so good was just mediocre because it was done by a mediocre director...
½ March 11, 2017
The Harry Potter franchise continues to steam towards its conclusion with The Half-Blood Prince. The stakes feel higher than ever, the tone is dark but never overbearing, the characters are still great, and the whole thing has a very effective self-aware humour about it. The script takes several pops at not the only the character's situations, but also the plot itself, and they all had me laughing out loud. It's great that we can have a movie that is at once deadly serious and at times sweet and light-hearted. The second half isn't as sharp as the first, and lags a bit towards the end, but it's moments of grandeur, moments of character and moments of wonder make it one of the best in the series.
March 5, 2017
There's less action, but an epic finale and perfect acting make this another great HP movie. CAN YOU NOT JUST MAKE A BAD MOVIE OR WHAT ?????
½ February 27, 2017
Another good addition to the Harry Potter franchise. Once again a bit long but that is just nitpicking. This film has the best cinematography so far through the franchise. I loved the romance in this film between Ron and Hermione. Harry Potter is growing in power and maturity and can't wait to see where his story goes. It was also nice to finally see Dumbledore really show how powerful he is.
½ February 21, 2017
I think this is an improvement over the 5th movie, but I don't like it as much as I like the first 4 movies. It is still a worthy sequel and it's a nice set up for the finale.
January 29, 2017
Loved the feel of this one. I also loved the fact I could follow the story.
½ January 23, 2017
I've read every single Harry Potter book and each time I watch a new Harry Potter movie I start complaining about the things that they have to cut or change from the book, I have to say that this is the first movie that I really enjoy since the Chamber of Secrets because I think David Yates made a great movie this time, the Half-Blood prince I think is one of the worst books in the Harry Potter series because it lacks some of the characteristic adventures and mystery of the series and Yates managed to translate the movie to the big screen I love the fact that you see Malfoy almost every time there's a shot of Hogwarts halls and how they manage to deal with the character, even tough the movie should have had more of the Dumbledore and Harry sessions with other Voldemort memories it's an overall good movie and i reccomend watching it in IMAX it only has 13 minutes in 3D but i have to say that those 13 minutes look really cool
January 17, 2017
The one film in the Harry Potter saga that is crippled by its moves from book to film: The Half-Blood Prince shifts focus away from the complex and compelling mission of Potter and Dumbledore to focus on the romantic endeavors of its teen heartthrobs. Resulting in a film that achieves plenty, but withholds what could have been so much more
January 17, 2017
Harry joins Dumbledore in a quest to discover details about Voldemort's past that could lead to his undoing in the future, all while the teenage trio deal with humorous and heartbreaking relationship woes. This sixth film deftly balances mystery, comedy, and romance for its first two hours, wisely slowing the pace to give its characters room to breathe and grow before thrusting them into the breathless, chilling, and genuinely heartbreaking last half hour. Michael Gambon here gives the definitive portrayal of Dumbledore, and the relatively lighthearted initial tone serve as a brilliant contrast to the earth-shattering encroachment of evil; it truly feels like there's something to lose, and the stakes are set high for the finale.

IS IT OKAY FOR YOUR KIDS? Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is
rated PG. A central character is hit with a killing curse and dies;
friends and colleagues mourn around the body. A central character
drinks a potion that torments him mentally and emotionally; another
goes into convulsions when he accidentally imbibes poison. Several male and female characters kiss, at times passionately.

ANY WORTHWHILE MESSAGES? Telling the truth, even when it's painful,
often paves the way for the triumph of good.. Unity and light bring
hope which can dispel darkness and despair. Women like men who display chivalry and treat them with respect.
½ January 8, 2017
Another exciting chapter in the Harry Potter franchise filled with rich characters and fantastic set pieces.
January 7, 2017
David Yates & Co. have adapted another large Potter book exceptionally well, but I have the same gripes with the movie as I do with the book; nothing really happens. There's no solid story to cling to, but you do get 2 hours of boys and girls falling in and out of like, plus several scenes of Harry looking at memories and Malfoy being shifty. The lack of a build-up doesn't give the intended climax the punch it needs. A few aspects of the plot were lost in translation; for example, I agree with Yates that cutting out the Hogwarts skirmish will help place more importance on the bigger one to come, but it diminished the whole point of Malfoy spending the year mending the Vanishing Cabinet. But the cinematography is beautiful, the dialogue flows well, the characters sparkle, the special effects are enchanting, and this entry, like the previous one, stands on its own as a legit film, not just a dressed up, contractually obligatory adaptation. It's just unfortunate that this is not so much its own adventure as it is an obvious stage-setter for the seventh movie(s). I was still satisfied though, which is what counts most.
January 1, 2017
This was my least favorite but still good
December 31, 2016
161231: Harry Potter films cannot be watched while distracted. It took me two consecutive viewings of the Half-Blood Prince, the second with headphones, to catch all the intricacies of this detailed story. I am now determined to watch the remaining episodes in a similar fashion. Sound is the secret to film my friends, sound. The addition of some light humour, seeing Harry and his peers susceptible to the ways of the heart, lightened the dark tone of this sixth film. Secondary character Luna Lovegood (Evanna Lynch) continues to intrigue and entertain. I am now eager for the resolution expected within The Deathly Hallows.
December 31, 2016
A superb addition to the series and feels more adult orientated
December 18, 2016
All water under the bridge

Go on bottoms up