Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Reviews

January 17, 2017
David Yates' first go as director takes a few steps back in certain respects from the accomplishments of the 3rd and fourth films, but makes up for with a scathingly abhorrent villain and the best action sequences yet seen in the Franchise.
½ January 1, 2017
4 1/2 out of 5 stars! When I first read the book and saw the film, I loved this story, but over time I begun to think it was one of the weaker links in the franchise, but after watching it again last night, after 5 years, it is actually among the strongest and most detailed and important stories in the series. I have a new found even greater respect for this one!
½ December 31, 2016
My least favourite Harry Potter film
December 29, 2016
Not as enchanting as some of the earlier movies in the series, but it was nice to see Luna Lovegood make her first screen appearance. Still an exciting movie, but not my favorite. (First viewing - Summer 2007 in theaters)
December 29, 2016
Terrible direction mars this picture. The acting is the best of the bunch up to the point but too much flash over substance and yet another disjointed story create a haphazard affair. There are so many disappointments for characters and story integrity, too many under-utilised character stories and too much compromise to the story itself.

This could and should have been a much better and grander affair. The story really lacked the drama and emotional impetus in its crowning moments, due entirely to a lack of build to them and with the opposite effect it had fun in all the wrong places, the story itself naturally has its comic moments, instead the jokes were left to simple shock and awe tactics, cheap laughs.
December 17, 2016
Ok I'll leave you with your thoughts then

The latest intelligence is that...

It happened right before my eyes

Expeliomus

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are"
½ December 12, 2016
Oh yes Harry Potter is an amazing defense against the dark arts teacher! Also, Professor Umbridge is real bad! I mean, really!
December 6, 2016
My 2nd favorite Potter movie. Order of the Phoenix has a fantastic, mature story that follows the book surprisingly well.
December 5, 2016
With the franchise halfway done and again in need of a new director, incomes David Yates, the man responsible for the rest of the saga. With now a darker tone being set and the villain being finally introduced and shown to be ready for war, is this film a success?

After the events of "Goblet of Fire", things look dark for Harry: Lord Voldemort is back in human form and ready to continue what he started. After an incident with his Muggle family, the Ministry of Magic decides that it's time to interfere with Hogwarts.

Here we are now, at the beginning of the Yates half of HP and to be honest this is where my interest/love for the saga banished due to the franchise enters to cliché territory from now on and thus is why I consider this fifth installment the worst of the saga for many years but after rewatching it I realize I was wrong. By this point is redundant to mention the pros of this saga (the solid special effects and the solid acting by the supporting cast plus the maturation of the three leads) so we can only focus on two elements: Directing and writing. In the directing department David Yates finally gives this saga an identity (for better or worse) as due to the constant changes of directors this saga didn't have a solid style, plus he shows a meticulous craftsmanship in some sequences (on a side note I want to complain about the muted colors of the cinematography as that is a step backwards for what was up until this point a colorful franchise, hell even part 3 have better use of color), particularly the final magic duel between the two biggest players of both sides (say what you want about this saga but this film has the only good magic duel of the 8 films as it is creative and actually exciting, it is not people throwing random flashy CGI all over the place or crossing streams ala Ghostbusters). But regarding the writing this is the beginning of the downfall of script quality as like its source material the story goes to cliché territory and shockingly wastes precious time by focusing on teen romances and a mean teacher (this comes up as a teen film) plus it adds even more plot holes to the saga, instead of wrapping up the story to its conclusion.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" marks the end of the establishing of the world and making fun films and the beginning of cliché stories. The script is filled with unnecessary elements as teen angsts and more plot holes. But regardless it is still a fun film that has its moments.
December 5, 2016
Not quite as entertaining or emotionally resonant as the previous instalment, The Order Of The Phoenix is nevertheless an excellent movie that stands among the series' greatest. The feud between Potter and Voldemort continues to build, the supporting characters have their contributions to make, and you always get the feeling that something very real is at stake. With the school being essentially dismantled by the vicious Imelda Staunton, the Cheshire Cat mixed with Nurse Ratched, it seems like all is collapsing around them, and not only does it provide great excitement, it also builds anticipation for the following films. Yes, the bullies are still unimproved and offer nothing interesting. And yes, it may have skipped parts of the source material. But the characters are involving, the story is well-told and the climax is absolutely fantastic, an epic amalgam of stunning images and brutal conflict. See it if you haven't already.
December 4, 2016
161204: As the Harry Potter films have progressed, so has the maturity level of the themes. Six years later and Harry Potter is hard-core. Preparing for battle, violence and death, it's all here. This film winds up slowly but reaches a satisfying climax.
½ December 4, 2016
It's a bit ironic when you notice that the shortest Harry Potter movie is based off of the longest book and its titular character is a bit unlikable this time around given that he's pissed off about half the time but Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix still benefits from its entertainment value that remains as magical as always especially since it still manages to be just as entertaining and just as humourous and thrilling as its predecessors as well as a tone that gets darker and darker what with the PG-13 rating and all in spite of being IMO the weakest entry in the HP movies to date.
December 3, 2016
mm well i guess that was so hard to adapt a big book the biggest of literary saga but i admit, i loved luna! one of the best characters of harry potter
November 28, 2016
This is a generous rating. This is what I call the "montage movie" of Harry Potter. They try to condense it so much, that nearly everything seems to be told in montages, or choppily edited scenes. It's still fun to be in the universe, but this one is definitely flawed.
November 25, 2016
Now in the 5th year of school. In the starting Daniel Radcliffe and his bully cousin are in the open playground when suddenly the death eaters attack them. Daniel is force to use magic to save themselves. Immediately a letter is send and to expel Daniel from Hogwarts because he use magic outside of school while still underage. Standing in trial judge by Ministry of Magic, Michael Gambon fights for Daniel and he is lucky to drop of all charges. The minister Robert Hardy refuse to believe Voldermort (Ralph Fiennes) has return. Daniel goes to live in a secret house where his friends are also house in. Gary Oldman and David Thewlis are also there. They set up a group Order of the Phoenix many years ago to fight Ralph. War is coming they warn. Imelda Staunton is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and she is actually a tyrant. Soon she change the teaching method and forbid use of magic in the lesson and also take over as principal of Hogwarts with the backing of magic ministry. Daniel secretly set up Dumbledore's Army consist of student volunteers. Matthew Lewis manage to find a secret room for them to train and can escape the rules of Imelda. But with many enemies lurking around soon their room was found because Imelda use truth potion to force the students reveal. Matthew's parents were also from the Order and both are tortured and killed by Gary's sinister cousin Helena Bonham Carter. Michael admit to the charges of Dumbledore's Army but disappear when they gonna sentence him to Azkaban prison. Emma Watson lie to Imelda she know where Michael is hiding the secret weapon and bring her to the forest where Robbie Coltrane giant half brother is hiding. The Centaurs attack Imelda and she fight back. The giant brother lift her up and Centaurs grab her away for good. Daniel and few friends rush to Ministry of Magic to find the prophecy crystal ball where Jason Isaacs and Helena awaits. They have a good fight but everyone is caught. Then Gary and the rest came to rescue the kids. Helena kill Gary and Daniel chase after her. Ralph appears and gonna defeat Daniel. Michael also arrive and fight Ralph. He possess Daniel's mind and he manage to drive him out. The ministry arrives and Robert saw a glimpse of Ralph. Now they believe Voldermort has return. Helena escaped during the fight. Michael know about the prophecy and wanted to distance from Daniel hoping it will be out of trouble for him. War is inevitable.
November 23, 2016
I also remember loving this movie!
½ November 22, 2016
Not the most exciting but I found the storyline thoroughly engaging.
½ November 15, 2016
Everyone remembers Order of the Phoenix for its creation of the repulsively nasty Dolores Umbridge. Although the government may have received a poor reputation from this book/movie, the fresh creation of all characters (especially Luna Lovegood) generates a more densely emotional, more socially relevant addition from what the previous films brought to the table. Although I still would not say that Daniel's acting is getting any better at this point.
½ November 15, 2016
The least good out of the entire saga, because it's allot of cereal in the bowl to stuff an 860 page book into an average two hour movie! If only Director Yates extended it for half an hour, he could have had Neville's backstory explained more properly! Sadly, for the length of this film, it was kinda developed, then abandoned throughout the rest of it in order to continue with the story! That was a waste of potential!
However, director Yates still managed to make this chapter work. It has the kind of quality which makes it feel like it's the best one in the entire series, though personally, I felt like it wasn't. Still good, by the way.