Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Reviews

November 28, 2016
This is a generous rating. This is what I call the "montage movie" of Harry Potter. They try to condense it so much, that nearly everything seems to be told in montages, or choppily edited scenes. It's still fun to be in the universe, but this one is definitely flawed.
November 25, 2016
Now in the 5th year of school. In the starting Daniel Radcliffe and his bully cousin are in the open playground when suddenly the death eaters attack them. Daniel is force to use magic to save themselves. Immediately a letter is send and to expel Daniel from Hogwarts because he use magic outside of school while still underage. Standing in trial judge by Ministry of Magic, Michael Gambon fights for Daniel and he is lucky to drop of all charges. The minister Robert Hardy refuse to believe Voldermort (Ralph Fiennes) has return. Daniel goes to live in a secret house where his friends are also house in. Gary Oldman and David Thewlis are also there. They set up a group Order of the Phoenix many years ago to fight Ralph. War is coming they warn. Imelda Staunton is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and she is actually a tyrant. Soon she change the teaching method and forbid use of magic in the lesson and also take over as principal of Hogwarts with the backing of magic ministry. Daniel secretly set up Dumbledore's Army consist of student volunteers. Matthew Lewis manage to find a secret room for them to train and can escape the rules of Imelda. But with many enemies lurking around soon their room was found because Imelda use truth potion to force the students reveal. Matthew's parents were also from the Order and both are tortured and killed by Gary's sinister cousin Helena Bonham Carter. Michael admit to the charges of Dumbledore's Army but disappear when they gonna sentence him to Azkaban prison. Emma Watson lie to Imelda she know where Michael is hiding the secret weapon and bring her to the forest where Robbie Coltrane giant half brother is hiding. The Centaurs attack Imelda and she fight back. The giant brother lift her up and Centaurs grab her away for good. Daniel and few friends rush to Ministry of Magic to find the prophecy crystal ball where Jason Isaacs and Helena awaits. They have a good fight but everyone is caught. Then Gary and the rest came to rescue the kids. Helena kill Gary and Daniel chase after her. Ralph appears and gonna defeat Daniel. Michael also arrive and fight Ralph. He possess Daniel's mind and he manage to drive him out. The ministry arrives and Robert saw a glimpse of Ralph. Now they believe Voldermort has return. Helena escaped during the fight. Michael know about the prophecy and wanted to distance from Daniel hoping it will be out of trouble for him. War is inevitable.
November 23, 2016
I also remember loving this movie!
½ November 22, 2016
Not the most exciting but I found the storyline thoroughly engaging.
November 20, 2016
(First viewing - Summer 2007 in theaters)
½ November 15, 2016
Everyone remembers Order of the Phoenix for its creation of the repulsively nasty Dolores Umbridge. Although the government may have received a poor reputation from this book/movie, the fresh creation of all characters (especially Luna Lovegood) generates a more densely emotional, more socially relevant addition from what the previous films brought to the table. Although I still would not say that Daniel's acting is getting any better at this point.
½ November 15, 2016
The least good out of the entire saga, because it's allot of cereal in the bowl to stuff an 860 page book into an average two hour movie! If only Director Yates extended it for half an hour, he could have had Neville's backstory explained more properly! Sadly, for the length of this film, it was kinda developed, then abandoned throughout the rest of it in order to continue with the story! That was a waste of potential!
However, director Yates still managed to make this chapter work. It has the kind of quality which makes it feel like it's the best one in the entire series, though personally, I felt like it wasn't. Still good, by the way.
November 14, 2016
A film that rightfully returns to a faithful adaptation. It does skip or alter some of the more iconic scenes from the book, but it nevertheless keeps the tone and importance of the story. The characters are interesting again (along with a great despicable villain), the action is great, and the film's universe feels enchanting again while also bringing out its more darker and mature elements.
½ November 14, 2016
Adapting the longest novel to a fast-paced magical ride, The Order of the Phoenix continues to be entertaining and well-acted while foreshadowing a bigger incoming battle to come
November 12, 2016
Great fantastic epic movie in the Harry potter series starring daneil radcliffe. This movie is epic in every way possible. Voldemort appears in full for the first time and fighting against Dumbledore in an awesome battle, good vs evil. The first half of the movie when the old lady new teacher comes in and pretty much destroys hogworts, it was lame and didn't have to be put in the movie but either way I forgot about it when sirus black died and I was too busy and in awe/ shock. I love every single Harry potter movie and it's coming to an end but we have fantastic beasts or other spinoffs.
½ November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 9.0

Dentro de las mejores hasta ahora de la saga, emocionante, impresionante, excitante, realmente fantástico.
½ November 12, 2016
The one with new head master. You spend more of the film hating Umbridge than you do paying attention to much else. Harry teaches stuff.
November 10, 2016
I'm sure it's difficult for any filmmaker to adapt a beloved novel, but David Yates had an extraordinary task attempting to cut down the longest Potter novel into what happens to be, the second shortest film in the series. I didn't read the books, so I can't specifically comment on the quality of the adaptation, but I do know that Order of the Phoenix is one damn good film.

As much as I love the inevitable singular adventures each film in the Harry Potter series brings, I think Harry's emotional journey in each film is equally as intriguing. That journey is perhaps most drastic in Order of the Phoenix. After the horrific events at the end of Goblet of Fire, Hogwarts, its students, and the rest of the Wizarding World are at a split feeling surrounding the reemergence of Lord Voldemort. The ministry refuses to believe that that the dark lord has returned, while Harry and a select few at Hogwarts are truly preparing for what's to come.

Harry faces a difficult case against him at the ministry after it's revealed to them that Harry used magic in the presence of muggles. It's another truly eerie opening as the dementors nearly killed Harry and Dudley. But Dementors are only the beginning to what is probably Harry's most difficult task in the series to that point, defeating the dark lord and his "army" he's been recruiting.

We've seen plenty of great adventures from the main trio thus far, so I guess it was about time the team expands a bit. Alas, Harry starts "Dumbledore's Army" with the help of Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Neville, Cho, and the new cast member, Luna Lovegood among others. It's probably the first time in the series' history where Harry willingly takes on a leadership role in order to get ahead of Voldemort's plans. This all isn't taken too well from the newly appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Dolores Umbridge. Umbridge is easily one the easiest characters to hate in the series, but I can't picture anyone else bringing more to the role than Imelda Staunton did. It's a complicated character to like, but it fits in with the tone of the movie in a strangely satisfying way.

Another strongpoint in The Order of the Phoenix is the impressive set design. Unlike Goblet of Fire, we get to spend much more time at Hogwarts as well as getting a look at a few new sets outside the campus. Just simply taking a look at the gorgeous cinematography and production design of the final showdown at the Department of Mysteries. To me, it's one of the finest sequences this series has ever given us. Seeing Harry and a good portion of his team take on the Death Eaters was cool, but nothing compares to Dumbledore (and sort of Harry) take on Voldemort. That along with the death of Sirius Black leaves the series on a satisfyingly somber note.

It's difficult to compare this film to the others. There are aspects to the Order of the Phoenix that are great, like the climax and Harry's emotional arc, but it's hard to not feel like there's something missing from the story. You don't necessarily feel that way during the viewing, but perhaps looking back, it could have used an extra 15 minutes or so of scenes.

+Production design

+Harry's emotional arc

+Dumbledore vs Voldemort

+Harry takes on a leadership role

-Could be an extra 15 minutes of plot to add

8.8/10
½ November 8, 2016
That head mistress ruins this film, otherwise, terrific flashback of the horrors of private school, dishonest politics & YAY breaking glass!
November 4, 2016
A good movie but more creepy every time. I thoughts the ghosts where creepy and what a intense movie! The fighting was good!! I like how Serious black says get a way for my god son and then punched Lucius. I thought that was a funny line. Kids should not see this. But hay what a great movie!!!
October 18, 2016
Add a Review (Optional)
½ October 16, 2016
Not the strongest entry but still entertaining.
October 14, 2016
My favorite Harry Potter movie. Not 100 percent true to the book of course, but done in such an interesting way.
October 8, 2016
omg! like hello! DUH! worlds biggest fan right here
½ October 7, 2016
A lot of the movie feels like one giant montage, however the parts that don't really deliver the Potter magic.