Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

October 16, 2016
The novel obviously has more exciting details, but I got to admit that this film was way more touching than the first two ones.
½ October 15, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban proves the more mature the Harry Potter franchise continues to be, the more surprises awaits that you are willing to be sucked into.
October 15, 2016
As a kid, I always thought of this film as the "okay" film in the franchise. Watching it again as an adult and watching it after studying about the director Alfonso Cuaron, I see it as an amazing film and one of, if not the best in the franchise. You can immediately tell that this is a different take on Harry Potter than the previous two installments. Gone are the days of cute sorting hats and bright colourful quidditch games. This film is much darker in its tone, it's score, it's themes of redemption and sacrifice and even it's colour palette. It's often very gray with lots of dark colours. The acting took another giant step forward especially in the scene in the Shrieking Shack. I also like how the finale is not some all out duel like the previous two. Not that the other two weren't entertaining but this whole segment is suspenseful and intriguing. Overall, you can tell that this film franchise would change for the better once it was handed from Chirs Columbus (famous for his children's films like The Goonies and Home Alone) to Alfonso Cuaron, a director known for making violent gritty dramas in Mexico. Someone with a different style who was more focused on the story, characters, acting, and scene direction than fan service. In the end, what he created is what most fans claim to be the best film in the series.
October 10, 2016
Although it has some plot holes, this is an awesome film that holds up great 12 years later.
October 6, 2016
The best movie in the series. Truly made for viewers from all age groups. FANTASTIC.
½ October 1, 2016
It doesn't feel as magical as the last two but its darker and more complex. And still a worthy movie. But don't expect good humour out of this movie.
½ September 26, 2016
160925: Decent special effects. The story rolls slowly with a focus on extraneous material; the kid's stuff, mystical animals, magic and such. Picks up near the end and redeems itself. Prisoner is a decent film, perhaps underrated by me in the past. Almost want to give it 4 stars but until another viewing will give it 3.5. The story really only has one big reveal and then it sort of leaves you hanging. Hence the reason there will be so many more I guess?
½ September 24, 2016
Was really looking forward to this one as I've been hearing it's the best or one of the best in the series, but was never really blown away or thought it was anything amazing. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good, but still on the level of the first two and didn't seem that much of a step ahead. Great directing from Cuarón who really seems like the perfect choice for these movies in balancing the fantastical with the childhood wonderment.
September 18, 2016
This is the best Harry Potter movie!
½ September 18, 2016
Character driven and much more natural than the previous two HARRY POTTER installments, PRISONER OF AZKABAN adapts arguably the best book of the series into the best film of the franchise.
½ September 12, 2016
(First viewing - June 2004 in theaters)
September 12, 2016
It started a little dreary and I felt that the beginning wasn't as strong as the first two movies. It was easy to sit through it and everything, it just lacked that little extra that I was hoping for.
September 4, 2016
This is the Potter instalment when the series really takes off. It gets darker and more intense yet remains to be an excellent film.
September 3, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is way more darker, clever, complex storytelling, great performance by all the cast yet again. This proves that the third film can surpass the first, and second film! Thanks to Alfonso Cuaron direction.
½ September 2, 2016
The third installment in the Harry Potter universe follows a more complex and unique plot than the previous two films. Murder, lies, and alternate realities combine to make this one of the best of the entire series.
August 30, 2016
8/28/2016: A very entertaining movie that stays pretty close to the book.
August 29, 2016
Fantastic! Cuarón Injects the Harry Potter Franchise with an Amazing New Energy!

Originally Written June 4, 2004--
Harry Potter's (Daniel Radcliffe) third year at Hogwarts starts off badly when he learns deranged killer Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) has escaped from Azkaban prison and is bent on murdering the teenage wizard. While Hermione's (Emma Watson) cat torments Ron's (Rupert Grint) sickly rat, causing a rift among the trio, a swarm of nasty Dementors is sent to protect the school from Black. A mysterious new teacher helps Harry learn to defend himself, but what is his secret tie to Sirius Black?

This is what I have been waiting for! After playing it safe in the last two Harry Potter movies, Warner Bros. finally took some risks and hired Alfonso Cuarón of "Y Tu Mamá También" fame to inject this franchise with an amazing new energy! This "Harry Potter" adventure is darker, more mature, and much more focused on the characters than previous entries have been! I loved it! "Prisoner of Azkaban" is my favorite of the first three J.K. Rowling novels. Now, this film is my favorite of the three as well. Fantastic! Five stars!
½ August 21, 2016
One of my favourite Potter films, A great gripping story that was told well and had some great twists and turns full of some great effects and acting, It's much more darker than the first two which I loved, Again it's not suitable for younger children as the story will confuse them and there is a few scary scenes yet again, Apart from the first 20 minutes which was random and just plain stupid it's a fantastic film that would win over new fans in a heartbeat.
August 21, 2016
With a new instalment in the Harry Potter films brought new actors and more significantly a new director. This is considered to be a pivotal turning stone in the direction of the books screen adaptations. The film takes a much darker yet more thrilling turn. This film sees a much more breathtaking use of visual effects and a much more maturing Harry Potter. If you find yourself not liking the first two, you must at least watch this new direction for the series as its pure brilliance will draw you straight back into the magical world that is the Harry Potter series.
August 21, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a delightful and entertaining film!