Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

½ June 26, 2017
Great acting, great story and a lot of fun, this is one of the best films in the series.

9.1/10
June 24, 2017
Great storytelling and visuals all the way through. Consistently well-made from start to finish.
June 16, 2017
Alfonso Cuaron masterfully blends the source material of Harry Potter with his own visual style in the most enriching, heart warming, and intense, movie in the franchise.
June 12, 2017
Harry, Hermione and Ron are three wizards who are learning in the Howgarts castle. In this film, Sirius Black who escaped from Azkaban's prision, wants to kill Harry. Two of the three kids need to travel in the time to save two lives.
I love this film because there is a lot of action and the personality of Harry, Hermione and Ron are amazing. You can learn a lot of things with their adventures.
June 11, 2017
I loved everything about this movie. It's two and a half hours but it barely seems a fraction of that! The acting is superior, and the visuals are perfect (better than first two)
June 5, 2017
An amazing chapter with twists
June 1, 2017
Wait, Gary Oldman is british?!
June 1, 2017
Largely sticking to the same formula, Prisoner of Azkaban has the disadvantage of trying to replicate the best book of the series. It has difficulty, but still brings an entertaining flick.
May 27, 2017
The best of the series and possibly one of the most underrated films of all time. In viewing this film, to compare it to it's novel counterpart is utterly ridikulus. POA goes above and beyond its calling and isn't afraid to tread new ground; setting a standard that was never again captured.

POA is wonderfully directed under Alfonso Cuaron; the Spanish director breathes new life into the world of Harry Potter. From the beautiful cinematography to the perfectly crafted long-shot takes, the viewer is transported to a solemn, gloomy, and surreal magical world. Cuaron plays with the lighting and shadows, something many directors nowadays skip in favor of mere camera effects. Cuaron doesn't step a foot out of place; each scene bursts with wonderful color and accentuates the mood of the story.

This is possibly the best performance of Radcliffe, Grint and Watson; most likely due to the direction of Cuaron. Here, they are given freedom to explore their roles. Radcliffe is defiant, has a quick tongue, and plays his role with supreme confidence. Watson shows us a female lead that dominates her subordinary male counterparts and fellow actors. Grint is still primarily a comedic relief character but its not as tongue-in-cheek as his previous outlets. It's upsetting that in later installments under David Yates, the trio is forced to act awkward and unnatural.

The story is quick-paced and John Williams hits a home run with the soundtrack. It's incredible to note the attention to detail in each scene; the random witches and wizards that stroll in and out of the shot, the small moments of magic that delicately coincides with the main story, etc. The time-travel scenes are perfectly done, and the faintest of ticking can be heard in the background, as if Hermione's time turner is reminding us of how crucial each decision they make can be.

To finish, this film provides us with a story where the lines between good and evil are blurry at best. No matter how many times you watch POA, there's always something new to see, thanks to Cuaron's attention to detail. Magic practically explodes in every scene. The cinematography is at its best and sets the tone for the rest of the films. No matter who you are or whether you plan on watching any of the Harry Potter films, Prisoner of Azkaban stands alone; its a film that will be enjoyed for years to come as an independent masterpiece of wonderful acting, storytelling and direction.
May 12, 2017
Is it just me? Or is the Harry Potter Franchise just getting better and better?! This is probably the best Harry Potter movie I've seen so far, and I am pretty excited to watch the next sequel!
It was well directed, well written and very well performed. The Cinematography & screenplay was excellent, as well as Jina Jay's wise choice of casting.
Basically, this movie has all the qualities needed for a brilliant movie!
½ May 4, 2017
Harry meets Masters Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs in yet another fantastic film in the series. (First viewing - June 2004 in theaters)
April 26, 2017
One of my favorite Harry Potter films since childhood.
April 20, 2017
I was one of the cursed few who watched the movies before reading the books. And I was so damn confused with the movie. When I finally got to reading the book I understood everything. The scenes that were in the book that weren't in the movie explained a lot, leaving people who only had watched the movie very confused. I get that you can't adapt everything in books into the movies, but instead of explaining why the dementors were flying around aimlessly around Hogwarts, we got a scene of a tiny, annoying head on a bus.
½ April 19, 2017
great story great screen play
½ April 11, 2017
Great tone and cinematography. This is a beautiful movie, and it helps to have such an amazing soundtrack. The movies way to look at timetravel is different and funny to watch.
April 9, 2017
Really good movie, 2nd best Harry Potter film
½ April 4, 2017
One of the best in the series, and on its own The Prisoner of Azkaban is a fantastic fantasy story. As the films begin to get darker, the stories begin to get stronger and Harry's personal story begins to expand. This film is a standout and my personal favorite of the series.
½ April 2, 2017
This film is beautiful to look at and so much fun to watch. The quiet moments where characters are talking are the best part of the movie, much like the book, this movie is more about enriching the characters we already know and love. Even if sometimes the film feels rushed, Prisoner of Azkaban is one of the best Harry Potter films and the best book!
March 21, 2017
Again, another good sequel. They stayed fairly true to the books which was nice.
March 20, 2017
This is a breath of fresh air in comparison with it's predecessor's, mainly because of the much needed new approach taken by director Cuaron. The problem however with making the series more 'mature' & dramatic with each new instalment is that ultimately the films rest on the performances of it's main protagonist. In this case, 'Prisoner Of Azkaban' only serves to prove that Radcliffe is not an actor though he strives to be considered so. Decent enough support from Thewlis, Oldman & Rickman despite their stark screen time fail to give the film any other credibility outside of it's production design & CGI. The Dementors however are the best part of the film, making them a more formidable villain than Ralph Fiennes' Voldemort in the latter parts of the series.