Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

½ August 13, 2017
160925 & 170807: Decent special effects. The story rolls slowly with a focus on extraneous material; the kid's stuff, mystical animals, magic and such. Picks up near the end and redeems itself. Prisoner is a decent film, perhaps underrated by me in the past. Almost want to give it 4 stars but until another viewing will give it 3.5. The story really only has one big reveal and then it sort of leaves you hanging. Hence the reason there will be so many more I guess?
½ August 6, 2017
The franchise has hit it's stride! The Prisoner of Azkaban was by far the best book, and it shows on screen. The narrative of a mass murderer on the loose trying to hunt down Harry is very intriguing. Voldemort has always been lurking in the shadows, but the threat never felt as real as it does in this one. The casting of Gary Oldman as Serious Black is an inspired choice. He is a perfect fit for the role. His chemistry with all the characters that he interacts with is just amazing. His wild but determined character is one to be remembered. I loved this film. The only weakness I could find was the look of Professor Lupin in his werewolf form. It just reminded me of a mangey dog. Other than that the film is just a film fans delight. It is worthy of many repeat viewings. Alphons Cuaron tweaks the tone from the first two films just enough to give Harry Potter fans the edge they have been itching for. Big round of applause to this amazing entry into an ever growing franchise.
August 6, 2017
My fav of the series, love the time travel aspect. Great acting.
½ August 4, 2017
A decent movie, but feels like a watered down version of its source material. First of all this review is STRICTLY my opinion, don't get your wands in a twist! But overall it didn't really feel that immersive as I frequently fidgeted with my DVD remote so I won't get bored. Second, everything feels like a blur and the scene in the book with the cage holding the Monster Book of monsters is a wasted opportunity to sneak in some humor. With a new director, everything feels different compared to the first two movies and not in a good way. The always cloudy sky looks drab, I get it that Alfonso Cuaron maybe wanted the movie to have a dark look and feel but ultimately feels, meh. But there are good things about the movie, like how it keeps things fresh by not having Harry defeat Voldemort again and again and introducing Harrys Godfather Sirius black and the casting of David Thewlis as Lupin. To tell what I just said in the review. A good movie, but if you expect it to deliver Harry Potter justice, prepare to be disappointed.
½ July 25, 2017
Dazzling magic enchants as easily as it entertains.
July 23, 2017
For me, this is one of the better Harry Potter movies taking as it does a distinctly darker turn thanks to the atmospheric directing of Alfonso Cuaron. Cuaron creates a spooky world of vicious 'Dementors', werewolves and shape-shifting wizards to craft an exciting and mysterious tale that advances the story-arc and introduces important new characters. Gary Oldman joins the cast as Sirius Black and gives a welcome, manic performance. You really get a sense of the young Harry and his friends growing up in this film and all the leads rise to the challenge well. The complex plot is kept punchy and well-paced and the twists are neatly tied up without too much exposition from the cast. All in all, a very enjoyable fantasy adventure that sets up the next instalment beautifully.
July 21, 2017
That felt good. Not good, but brilliant :)
July 19, 2017
Still the best and most unique Harry Potter
July 15, 2017
One of my favorite in the Potter films. This really marked the beginning of the transition from lighthearted children films into the darker and more adult films which were to follow.
July 9, 2017
how do you wacth it?
½ July 8, 2017
This is a very well liked Harry Potter movie judging by the ratings. It's good but nothing Amazing
July 1, 2017
Legendary performances
½ June 26, 2017
Great acting, great story and a lot of fun, this is one of the best films in the series.

9.1/10
June 24, 2017
Great storytelling and visuals all the way through. Consistently well-made from start to finish.
June 16, 2017
Alfonso Cuaron masterfully blends the source material of Harry Potter with his own visual style in the most enriching, heart warming, and intense, movie in the franchise.
June 12, 2017
Harry, Hermione and Ron are three wizards who are learning in the Howgarts castle. In this film, Sirius Black who escaped from Azkaban's prision, wants to kill Harry. Two of the three kids need to travel in the time to save two lives.
I love this film because there is a lot of action and the personality of Harry, Hermione and Ron are amazing. You can learn a lot of things with their adventures.
June 11, 2017
I loved everything about this movie. It's two and a half hours but it barely seems a fraction of that! The acting is superior, and the visuals are perfect (better than first two)
June 5, 2017
An amazing chapter with twists
June 1, 2017
Wait, Gary Oldman is british?!
June 1, 2017
Largely sticking to the same formula, Prisoner of Azkaban has the disadvantage of trying to replicate the best book of the series. It has difficulty, but still brings an entertaining flick.