Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

½ November 14, 2016
Thematic, well-acted, and still a technical triumph, The Prisoner of Azkaban is top tier cinema thanks to Alfonso Cuaron's artistic and sophisticated direction
November 12, 2016
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Realmente impresionante, Alfonso Cuarón lleva esta saga a otro nivel con esta magnífica producción.
November 12, 2016
The one with Gary Oldman. Probably the darkest Potter movie and where the franchise found it's feet.
November 8, 2016
Perfect progression. What this one lacks in innocence, it compensates for with teen angst, hormones, fear & action. Who doesn't love time travel?
November 6, 2016
As the trio gets older the films become a little darker and more mature. Watching the Harry Potter series within days of each other can be a tough adjustment. Especially considering how family friendly the first two installments are, but no matter the subtitle, Harry Potter films always maintain that fun atmosphere.

Harry and his buddies have turned 13, his first year of his teens, and this film subtly tackles some common issues that an early teen has. Not only is Harry dealing with the angst of trying to be independent from his muggle family, but he then is forced with coming to terms with an estranged family member returning to find Harry, Sirius Black. All the films have relatively the same setting, characters, and tone, but Prisoner of Azkaban is clearly a part of a maturation process for Harry. There's something to be said for a film that takes its franchise in a totally new direction (i.e. Fast Five), but I also can't help but think this film was missing a few familiar plot points.

Alfonso Cuarón took the reigns from Chris Columbus and he brought a refreshing take on the Potterverse. Just by simply looking at the advancement of technology in CGI and in the unique camera movements/shots, this was going to be a different Potter film. Cuarón brought along Michael Gambon as the new Dumbledore, after the unfortunate passing of Richard Harris. As great as Harris is, his calming presence may not have worked as Dumbledore here. Gambon fits in well as a more demanding and mysterious headmaster than in the previous two films.

With that said, Voldemort's lack of presence is definitely felt. I enjoy the late-game twist in the film's villain and I understand we don't necessarily need him every film, but there was barely any mention of him. Yes, that's the way it is in the book, but for me, it degrades the score a bit. The focus here is more on Sirius Black and Professor Lupin. Both of which have unexpected twists and turns that make the third act quite the whirlwind. To me, this film plays more as a part 1 of 2 to the Goblet of Fire, because we only get a glimpse into Pettigrew and his relation to the dark lord and Harry's parents.

Either way, Prisoner of Azkaban is a welcomed changeup in the film's franchise and one that, on repeat viewings, only gets better. I mean, who doesn't love time travel, Hippogriff's, a long awaited punch, a little quality time with Harry & Hermione, and one big twist right? It's a slower pace and a darker tone, but Prisoner of Azkaban is no slouch of a film.

+ Cuarón's different style

+Gary Oldman enters the picture

+Fantastic visuals/cinematography

+Hermione & Harry team-up

-No Voldemort presence

8.7/10
½ October 26, 2016
"Harry Potter and the Prison of Azkaban" is as enchanting as the first two films in the series and the story is far less stagnant.
October 16, 2016
The novel obviously has more exciting details, but I got to admit that this film was way more touching than the first two ones.
½ October 15, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban proves the more mature the Harry Potter franchise continues to be, the more surprises awaits that you are willing to be sucked into.
October 15, 2016
As a kid, I always thought of this film as the "okay" film in the franchise. Watching it again as an adult and watching it after studying about the director Alfonso Cuaron, I see it as an amazing film and one of, if not the best in the franchise. You can immediately tell that this is a different take on Harry Potter than the previous two installments. Gone are the days of cute sorting hats and bright colourful quidditch games. This film is much darker in its tone, it's score, it's themes of redemption and sacrifice and even it's colour palette. It's often very gray with lots of dark colours. The acting took another giant step forward especially in the scene in the Shrieking Shack. I also like how the finale is not some all out duel like the previous two. Not that the other two weren't entertaining but this whole segment is suspenseful and intriguing. Overall, you can tell that this film franchise would change for the better once it was handed from Chirs Columbus (famous for his children's films like The Goonies and Home Alone) to Alfonso Cuaron, a director known for making violent gritty dramas in Mexico. Someone with a different style who was more focused on the story, characters, acting, and scene direction than fan service. In the end, what he created is what most fans claim to be the best film in the series.
October 10, 2016
Although it has some plot holes, this is an awesome film that holds up great 12 years later.
October 6, 2016
The best movie in the series. Truly made for viewers from all age groups. FANTASTIC.
½ October 1, 2016
It doesn't feel as magical as the last two but its darker and more complex. And still a worthy movie. But don't expect good humour out of this movie.
½ September 26, 2016
160925: Decent special effects. The story rolls slowly with a focus on extraneous material; the kid's stuff, mystical animals, magic and such. Picks up near the end and redeems itself. Prisoner is a decent film, perhaps underrated by me in the past. Almost want to give it 4 stars but until another viewing will give it 3.5. The story really only has one big reveal and then it sort of leaves you hanging. Hence the reason there will be so many more I guess?
½ September 24, 2016
Was really looking forward to this one as I've been hearing it's the best or one of the best in the series, but was never really blown away or thought it was anything amazing. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good, but still on the level of the first two and didn't seem that much of a step ahead. Great directing from Cuarón who really seems like the perfect choice for these movies in balancing the fantastical with the childhood wonderment.
September 18, 2016
This is the best Harry Potter movie!
½ September 18, 2016
Character driven and much more natural than the previous two HARRY POTTER installments, PRISONER OF AZKABAN adapts arguably the best book of the series into the best film of the franchise.
September 12, 2016
It started a little dreary and I felt that the beginning wasn't as strong as the first two movies. It was easy to sit through it and everything, it just lacked that little extra that I was hoping for.
September 4, 2016
This is the Potter instalment when the series really takes off. It gets darker and more intense yet remains to be an excellent film.
September 3, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is way more darker, clever, complex storytelling, great performance by all the cast yet again. This proves that the third film can surpass the first, and second film! Thanks to Alfonso Cuaron direction.
½ September 2, 2016
The third installment in the Harry Potter universe follows a more complex and unique plot than the previous two films. Murder, lies, and alternate realities combine to make this one of the best of the entire series.