Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

½ September 18, 2016
Character driven and much more natural than the previous two HARRY POTTER installments, PRISONER OF AZKABAN adapts arguably the best book of the series into the best film of the franchise.
September 12, 2016
It started a little dreary and I felt that the beginning wasn't as strong as the first two movies. It was easy to sit through it and everything, it just lacked that little extra that I was hoping for.
September 4, 2016
This is the Potter instalment when the series really takes off. It gets darker and more intense yet remains to be an excellent film.
September 3, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is way more darker, clever, complex storytelling, great performance by all the cast yet again. This proves that the third film can surpass the first, and second film! Thanks to Alfonso Cuaron direction.
½ September 2, 2016
The third installment in the Harry Potter universe follows a more complex and unique plot than the previous two films. Murder, lies, and alternate realities combine to make this one of the best of the entire series.
August 30, 2016
8/28/2016: A very entertaining movie that stays pretty close to the book.
August 29, 2016
Fantastic! Cuarón Injects the Harry Potter Franchise with an Amazing New Energy!

Originally Written June 4, 2004--
Harry Potter's (Daniel Radcliffe) third year at Hogwarts starts off badly when he learns deranged killer Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) has escaped from Azkaban prison and is bent on murdering the teenage wizard. While Hermione's (Emma Watson) cat torments Ron's (Rupert Grint) sickly rat, causing a rift among the trio, a swarm of nasty Dementors is sent to protect the school from Black. A mysterious new teacher helps Harry learn to defend himself, but what is his secret tie to Sirius Black?

This is what I have been waiting for! After playing it safe in the last two Harry Potter movies, Warner Bros. finally took some risks and hired Alfonso Cuarón of "Y Tu Mamá También" fame to inject this franchise with an amazing new energy! This "Harry Potter" adventure is darker, more mature, and much more focused on the characters than previous entries have been! I loved it! "Prisoner of Azkaban" is my favorite of the first three J.K. Rowling novels. Now, this film is my favorite of the three as well. Fantastic! Five stars!
jamrcla
½ August 21, 2016
One of my favourite Potter films, A great gripping story that was told well and had some great twists and turns full of some great effects and acting, It's much more darker than the first two which I loved, Again it's not suitable for younger children as the story will confuse them and there is a few scary scenes yet again, Apart from the first 20 minutes which was random and just plain stupid it's a fantastic film that would win over new fans in a heartbeat.
August 21, 2016
With a new instalment in the Harry Potter films brought new actors and more significantly a new director. This is considered to be a pivotal turning stone in the direction of the books screen adaptations. The film takes a much darker yet more thrilling turn. This film sees a much more breathtaking use of visual effects and a much more maturing Harry Potter. If you find yourself not liking the first two, you must at least watch this new direction for the series as its pure brilliance will draw you straight back into the magical world that is the Harry Potter series.
August 21, 2016
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a delightful and entertaining film!
August 21, 2016
Maybe the best of the series. Gary Oldman is unbelievably good. Good to see the wizards out of wizarding robes.
August 18, 2016
The strongest film of the franchise
August 15, 2016
Seriously, what wizard or witch send their kids here? The place is incredibly dangerous! Very enjoyable story, despite loosing a lot of the energy and charm of the first film.
½ August 11, 2016
Dark, gothic, twisted and wonderfully creepy, this third instalment is the best Potter adventure yet, giving a much-needed twist on what could have become a dying franchise. This year, Harry's past is further explored when Sirius Black, escaped wizard convict is supposedly out to murder the Boy Who Lived. This film is near perfect, with director, Alfonso Cuaron, giving his own original and successful spin on the Harry Potter universe, turning the franchise from colourful and light-hearted to a darker and more threatening horizon.
½ August 6, 2016
Definitely the best Harry Potter film. The direction and soundtrack were amazing.
August 3, 2016
The British boy must time-travel and solve the mystery of Commissioner Gordon, the werewolves, and his friend's pet mouse.
July 31, 2016
By far the best of the Harry Potter books, and one of the best movies! They did everything right with Prisoner of Azkaban! It's such an incredible masterpiece of a movie, and it does not disappoint, with natural humor from the characters, action sequences, and the effects are incredible! Prisoner of Azkaban is one of the best, if not the best movie in the franchise!
July 30, 2016
While I love the majority of these movies, this one really has a special place in my heart. I loved nearly everything about this movie. The entire youth cast really begins to hone their craft from here on. A near perfect movie.
July 29, 2016
I wish this could be better
July 29, 2016
Some of the opening sequences didnt feel as well directed and edited as Columbus's first two features, but it got stronger as it found its feet, with the final third proving to be very strong, the time travelling sequence turning out to be one of my favourite plot lines so far.

I think it misses Richard Harris and the darker tone kind of overshadows the light hearted moments, but overall, another very enjoyable film.

Maybe a change of director was needed to change gear and prevent the franchise from being formulaic, but it lost stars because i thought the first half felt like a director trying to find his feet.