Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Reviews

Page 2 of 2005
½ August 27, 2016
8/27/2016: One of the best "book to movie" transitions. The movie stayed very close to the books and it turned out very good. Lots of adventure!
August 26, 2016
Fun, Exciting, and Magical All at the Same Time!

Originally Written November 16, 2001--
Adaptation of the first of J.K. Rowling's popular children's novels about Harry Potter, a boy who learns on his eleventh birthday that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses unique magical powers of his own. He is summoned from his life as an unwanted child to become a student at Hogwarts, an English boarding school for wizards. There, he meets several friends who become his closest allies and help him discover the truth about his parents' mysterious deaths.

The first film in what is sure to be a long-running series about the boy wizard and his two best friends---Ron and Hermione---is fun, exciting, and magical all at the same time. Walt Disney himself could never have imagined the world that J.K. Rowling has successfully brought to the big screen. Well done!
½ August 21, 2016
It was great book and movie!!!
August 21, 2016
As the first adaptation of the seven books this took on the challenge of introducing the wizarding world to the muggle world. The movie sticks very closely to the novel and creates on screen magic - literally. You can't help but find yourself sat waiting for your letter to Hogwarts - or if your slightly less strange - the next instalment. A well cast group of actors draws you into the wizarding world which turns out to be an action packed and emotional world of discovery. A must see and a greatly loved.
August 21, 2016
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a magical and enchanting start to a great series!
August 17, 2016
Even though it's probably my least favorite Potter film it's still allot of fun most of the time, The pace of the film really let it down but the story was great and very well told, Maybe the younger audience may not understand plus there was a few scary moments too, A great twist at the end worked well and even though the sequels were much better and darker it's still a classic that is quite long but worth multiple views.
August 15, 2016
I've listened to the film series a hundred times in the old van with the kids, actually sat down and watched it. Found it very enjoyable. A classic yarn for a younger generation.
August 15, 2016
A future classic that set off the Harry Potter world perfectly. I get chills every time I hear the theme tune.
½ August 13, 2016
3.5 stars

I'm going back and re-watching the movies as I read the books (well, catching up on the movies now).

This one was cute. It was enjoyable but never great. Some of the actors did a great job and some was just cheesy.

While it ran 2 1/2 hours, it still felt choppy and like it was rushing through the book (I know, movies can never capture the full contents of the books).
August 11, 2016
Beginning the franchise that would become a phenomenon, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was first released across the planet in 2001. A heart-warming film, with a gothic feel, this Harry Potter outing is an action-packed, if predictable film of fantasy and discovery. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson lead this cast of British veteran talents with questionable performances. However, their co-stars, including Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman and Richard Harris, bring the wizarding world to a rich and colourful life in wonderful style. Though the film may seem occasionally over-flamboyant, predictable and lengthy, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a fast-paced and enjoyable fantasy adventure that perfectly captures the heart of JK Rowling's novel.
August 3, 2016
A young British child with a bad home life finds belonging in a dangerous school of hallucinations.
½ August 1, 2016
A good start to the Harry Potter franchise even though its slow at parts it is still very enjoyable.
July 29, 2016
Easily the most magical of the franchise. The Sorcerers Stone opens the Harry Potter series with a sense of wondrous adventure with enough exciting scenes to keep those of all ages hooked and I treated in the rest of the film and the other films in the series.
½ July 25, 2016
Watched this again for the first time in over 10 years. It still has a lot of charm and imagination in it, even though the child actors haven't quite discovered their full talent yet. It is still a fun movie to watch and I am glad I took the time to re-visit it.
July 17, 2016
I have a strong dislike of Child Acting, especially when the actors are paired with genuine talents. I know genuinely talented child actors are rare, but they exist! Why didn't they find some? While Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith act superbly, we are reminded that this story is about children trying to remember lines, and sometimes adopting surprised expressions when they remember they're acting. However, seeing how they are adapting a superb story, there can be no real issues with the plot of the film. The characters that aren't eleven years old are also very well done, and the mystery that unfolds around it is an interesting one. The score is also superb, no surprise it's done by John Williams. All these things allow me to overlook the way Christopher Columbus has an inability to pace anything fast, and the number of plot-holes that come with adapting this story. Would definitely count this as a strong film, but maybe not such a strong adaptation...
½ July 16, 2016
A decent adaptation that is almost identical to the book, relying on remarkable technical aspects and on Rowling's impressive imagination (yet with not much added by Columbus), and it should definitely please the fans and entertain everyone else.
July 15, 2016
The acting isn't very good but it's a great start to the franchise.
½ July 12, 2016
Decent movie from someone who had not read the books before seeing it. Kids enjoyed it.
July 10, 2016
This is such an amazing film with such good suspense
July 7, 2016
An instant classic packed full of great visuals and story telling, catchy music and a perfect cast.
Page 2 of 2005