Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Reviews

Page 2 of 2008
April 2, 2017
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone; is an amazing Novel and Film, this is a movie I'll remember for as long as I'm alive and will be one of my favorites!
April 1, 2017
The movie is slow at times and the direction is bland, but it is also so exciting and so much fun at the same time. By far the most book adaption of the movies, a must see!
March 21, 2017
It's been forever since I've seen this movie but it was actually pretty good. I don't think I've ever seen all of the movies so I'm looking forward to finally getting to see them all.
March 20, 2017
This films task was to introduce both young Harry Potter & film goers world-wide to his mysterious & unknown history, paving the way for the subsequent sequels in order that they may flesh out his development in more depth. For this instalment, director Columbus manages to portray the key issues & events clearly enough for his very young target audience to understand & follow.
However the imagination & creativity of the piece is routed solely in the designers corner - their work allowing the viewer to witness the strange new world they have created as if they themselves were Harry Potter.
Despite a star-studded supporting cast, it's only Alan Rickman & Ian Hart who stand-out, delivering decent performances that keep you guessing as to their true motivations. The three lead children are exactly that - three children with no prior acting experience - which is all too obvious & remains a problem throughout the sequels.
Columbus' directing is clearly standard & lacking substance despite his success. Being a Terry Gilliam fan & knowing Rowling wanted Gilliam to direct the film - I still believe that despite his ability to portray work from a child's point of view without talking down at them (see 'Time Bandits' & 'Tideland'), I think Gilliam would be better suited to one of the latter instalments of the series, which would allow him more room & freedom for his creative & 'oddball' style.
March 19, 2017
My favorite movie in the franchise
March 15, 2017
Considered by many to be this generations event movie series, Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone is the first is a line of incredibly well made and thought out films based on a series of books. While the overall tone is rather light and....family friendly in the first two movies that dosent take away from the film at all. I personalyl enjoy the films more starting with the third one because of the darker tone and overall feel of the films. This film and its sequel do however benefit from being much closer to the original story and from the preformance from Sir Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore. Michael Gambon while capable never lived up to Harris's preformance I believe. The effects are well done and arnt overdone. More sets and wardrobe and hte implimentation of everything that could be practical being practial runs throughout the series and that is a true benefit to the enjoyment of the series and will allow them to last a long time and be enjoyed by fans both old and new for repeat viewing.
½ March 10, 2017
J.K Rowling's successful selling book makes no mistake in inviting us on an exciting fantasy adventure with a special cast and stirring story.
½ March 1, 2017
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (called the Philosopher's Stone outside the U.S.) is the starting chapter to one of the greatest series to ever hit the big screen. This first installment does an excellent job of setting up the universe just enough for the viewers to figure out the rest, which is extraordinary in my eyes. The characters establish themselves thoroughly through behavior alone, which, for a franchise with this many characters, is not easy to do, yet this film does it seamlessly. The characters are very diverse and unique in way that one does not often see in cinema. Although the universe is very well set up, this film leaves enough information a mystery to the viewers to keep them in anticipation for the next chapter of the story. The first entry in the amazing Harry Potter saga is nothing short of magical.
February 27, 2017
The first Harry Potter movie takes the familiar elements from the book but doesn't forget to be a good film. The perfect casting is a plus, as well as great setpieces. 7.8/10
½ January 25, 2017
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone is a magical movie and really puts you into the wizard world. It transports you into a great fantasy. They really brought Hogwarts and Diagon Alley to life. The sets and costume design are incredible. John Williams does a great job and makes another unforgettable score. Although the cg hasn't held up all that well and it can be cheesy at times, I believe Chris Columbus did a great job with the first installment of the franchise.
½ January 22, 2017
a fantasy classic better then I remember. Full of wonder
January 17, 2017
If you've read the book, it's not that great.
January 17, 2017
It's certainly not in league with most of the rest of the saga films that follow; but the one job that The Sorcerer's Stone had was to lay a strong foundation on which to build a franchise, and what a solid foundation it layed.
January 7, 2017
In my opinion, one of the worst Harry potters but it adds much to the story.
January 7, 2017
A decent introduction to the series. other movies have been trying to copy it since.
½ January 3, 2017
Not the best harry movie but a must watch!
January 3, 2017
I really enjoy this movie. It is fun to be introduced to the wizarding world. The tone is pretty light and upbeat. The story is interesting to follow but more importantly makes a good introduction for the rest of the series. Hermione is more annoying in this movie than I remembered. The special effects are still pretty good and fun to watch.
½ January 3, 2017
A start to many more...the books are better...the movie helps you visualize
January 1, 2017
Magical opening to the world of Harry Potter, the casting of Daniel Radcliffe seems spot on to me
December 29, 2016
Adapta eficazmente la magia de Hogwarts y su mundo ficticio sin llegar a empalagar, mientras que los personajes tienen suficiente personalidad para asegurar que no llegue a ser cursi. Proveyó una emblemática melodía para el resto de la saga y es bien divertida (no siempre intencionalmente me parece). 6/10
Page 2 of 2008